Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marketing / media / communications ideas

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Perhaps Matt, they chose not to come back for various reasons other than 'they decided not to' this is precisely what the club should be addressing.

And I'm not moaning, I am making suggestions which is more than a lot of fans are doing. Really, the most common idea seems to be stick a board up.

I mean come on.

My point was that it's not right to accuse the club of doing very little because it is factually incorrect. However what is true is that the club has pretty much kept the same number of fans, give or take, for 40 years, so it's not It's not just asians that don't come back. On that basis you need to sell to a new generation. At least with twatter and fockbook the club are trying to do just that.

Based on the above, the club are doing a lot to try and attract the new kids. Not something that maybe you or are identify with because it's not something we were born to. Equally the older lot like to see a big poster and a sandwich board "to remind 'em er t'olden days". ;) . I'm sure a bit o' drippin' and bread would also go down well with this lot as well if it was given away in the bar.

The names not Matt by the way.

#42 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

You live in Flockton and appear to spend most of your time globetrotting, which would suggest you have considerably more money than I have, but still find it necessary to bang on about the price of admission for kids. A suggestion FF - give the venice trip a miss (it's a sheisshole) and buy a couple of season tickets for your kids instead - it'll work out cheaper. Re your point about the lack of effort to attract the Asian support - I think the club do their level best through the community project, which has strong links with mulicultural schools like ravensthorpe who use the rams educational facilities - but i doubt it has or ever will lead to any interest in the rugby side of things. The asian community in batley literally have a club on their doorstep, but don't engage with it in a rugby sense any more than those in ravensthorpe and saville town do with dewsbury - so it's not just us. Ikram butt has done sterling, and often thankless work, to promote the game within the asian community, but with very limited success - I'm afraid it's a long dead horse and no longer worth flogging.

I travel with work and can't stand Venice.

Money and intelligence, or where you live, what you do in your spare time or how you pay your mortgage is irrelevant. I am no different to any other passionate fan of the club, it just frustrates me to see our club facing a dire future whilst people stand around with a pipe in their mouths talking about how great the smell of wintergreen was when they were kids at crown flat.

Times have changed and standing around doing little wont and isn't cutting it anymore.
Beneath it all - I'm probably no different to you in what I want for this club.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#43 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yet again a dig in my direction regarding dewsburys ever growing cancer.

i have to say nothing on the subject of their non
attendance at matches...facts speak for themselves...batley have a bigger problem than us
as their fan base is recruiting less than ours
and the scales will tip regardless.

again this thread is been turned into the usual dross when FF gets involved.

using your words..not mine...im a little more P.C

#44 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Perhaps FF can explain how getting his picture taken wearing his Dewsbury shirt on the great wall of China will entice the "floating" supporters from Chickenley and Hanging Heaton?

On another note, I recently moved to Flockton and have been surprised by it's lack of racial diversity. The only non-whites I have seen are the Pakistani couple that run the locali shop. I wonder if FF invited them all round for a slides evening and bored them to death with shots of Peruvian temples?
Posted Image

#45 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Perhaps FF can explain how getting his picture taken wearing his Dewsbury shirt on the great wall of China will entice the "floating" supporters from Chickenley and Hanging Heaton?

On another note, I recently moved to Flockton and have been surprised by it's lack of racial diversity. The only non-whites I have seen are the Pakistani couple that run the locali shop. I wonder if FF invited them all round for a slides evening and bored them to death with shots of Peruvian temples?

I wouldn't have worn the shirt, id have asked a local to wear it, or put it on a camel or something ;)

Re Flockton - Welcome to lovely views, excellent walks and hope to see you in the Sun sometime.

Anyway, I noticed the board outside the ground had been updated today so it's a start I guess.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 11 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#46 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

My point was that it's not right to accuse the club of doing very little because it is factually incorrect. However what is true is that the club has pretty much kept the same number of fans, give or take, for 40 years, so it's not It's not just asians that don't come back. On that basis you need to sell to a new generation. At least with twatter and fockbook the club are trying to do just that.

Based on the above, the club are doing a lot to try and attract the new kids. Not something that maybe you or are identify with because it's not something we were born to. Equally the older lot like to see a big poster and a sandwich board "to remind 'em er t'olden days". ;) . I'm sure a bit o' drippin' and bread would also go down well with this lot as well if it was given away in the bar.

The names not Matt by the way.

I'm sure a bit o' drippin' and bread would also go down well with this lot as well if it was given away in the bar

Now your'e talking - and I'd even pay. :lol:

Ive been to skegness and cleethorpe , now thats really pushing the boundaries and if i want to see one of the real ancient wonders of the world i only need to go to the rugby club and see jack addy .

:lol:

#47 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Times and tastes have changed of course. But don't underestimate the alluring potential of a slice of free "muckyfatunbred"
Back in the 1960's my father had a pub' in Dewsbury. He was despairing of the lack of lunchtime trade, and came up with the idea of putting on free mucky fat and bread. Word soon spread (even in those days before twitter and texting, when people engaged in that quaint old custom of "speyking ter wunanuther"), and soon it became that you had to be in the taproom when the doors opened at 11 a.m. to get a seat or (even more desirable) a leaning spot at the bar. It would need to be halal of course if you wanted to include the Pakistani community.

#48 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Perhaps FF could ask the RL to fund a 12month trip to Asia as a Rugby League ambassador.
preferably somewhere with no Internet Access ?
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#49 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

For a start what type of person do you see at our games?

Working class white men and old women (and men)

How many Pakistanis, or Indians, or Poles or Kurds etc do you see? Does Roger go into the schools in Saville Town?

Roger will visit whichever school will have him. From speaking to 'the man behind the mask', race or religion is irrelevant. His job is to engage with local kids and their families and he does a bloody good job of it! :)

Another at the club who has done a bloody good job of engaging with local kids is our community coach James Stephenson. He's in schools throughout the area, taking in every demographic along the way.

Again from conversations with James, I can tell you that thousands of tickets have been distributed to kids and their families.

And before Coolie flies in and says 'P***s don't like rugby' I could point out that before Prince Naseem and more recently Amir Khan Pakistanis werent particularly known for their love of boxing.

You're absolutely right. And it's only over the last 20/25 years that we've seen women and children attending matches in any great number.

Just because a certain section of society aren't typically interested in a sport at present, it's naive to assume that will always be the case.

Has anyone ever thought of linking with a local SL club and moving the home games to different days and then selling a multiple season ticket? i.e watch Dewsbury on a Saturday and Leeds on the Sunday?

My own personal view is that incentives to other Rugby League fans is great. But I think its unwise to build too much of a dependency on the support of people whose true loyalties are with another club. It's short-termism.

We need to create more Dewsbury Rams fans, get them feeling positive about the club and turn them into ambassadors.

The truth is the backslapping needs to stop and Tom, you appear to be the face of it all and I really hope the vein of enthusiasm runs deep and changes are made.

What backslapping? :blink:

Maybe I'm not understanding you properly, but here's a difference between 'backslapping' and painting a positive image for potential new sponsors and supporters.

Stories like this one are designed to appeal to local companies. They're designed to communicate the fact that Dewsbury Rams are a progressive club that is taking strides forward on and off the field.

This is a forum, I share my opinions as much as my ideas. Could I help put them into action? Of course not, I spend as much time in the UK as I do out of it but that doesn't mean I am not passionate about the club moving forward and willing to help throw ideas into the forum. But I have tried:
4 years ago I had a career lined up which would take me all over the world, to some of the most amazing places on this earth, many UNESCO, wonders of the world and far flung places that are completely isolated save for days of travel. I contacted the club and asked if they would like me to take a Dewsbury shirt and have it snapped all over the planet - I was completely ignored.
About 6 months later off the back of my first trip around China and the Far east I got in touch with the club again - I was completely ignored.

When did you ask and who did you email/call? You certainly shouldn't have been ignored.

Having said that, the nature of our current agreement with Ravensport means it'd be tough for the club to give away a shirt for such a purpose.

Since that first contact I have been to 42 countries across 6 continents, the ONLY wonders of the world (modern/ancient/and historical) that I HAVENT been to is Machu Pichu in Peru and Im going there next month and the Great Barrier Reef (which Ive no plans of going to at the moment)
I could have put a Dewsbury shirt across Asia, the USA and to just about every corner of India including on some of the worlds highest peaks, most baron deserts or densest jungles.

My offer does stand, I am going to Egypt on the 24th Jan (Cairo/Hurghada/Luxor/Abu Simbel/Aswan/Siwa Oasis and the Western Desert) and then Venice/Rome/Venezuala/Colombia/Peru/Brussels on the 25th Feb.

Sounds great! I'll let you have one of my old ones if you come find me tomorrow.

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Re the asian involvment in the game. Khan at Bradford, Nahaboo at Featherstone and the prospective new owner at Salford are all of asian background. Maybe all this will pique interest in the game in the local asian communities in some of our northern towns.?

#51 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Re the asian involvment in the game. Khan at Bradford, Nahaboo at Featherstone and the prospective new owner at Salford are all of asian background. Maybe all this will pique interest in the game in the local asian communities in some of our northern towns.?

I have seen a few play, because I take charge at a local under 10's team (Dewsbury Moor), I have seen two children, both Pakistani, play myself.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#52 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

In fact in terms of marketing, I'm going to make a point, why don't we do what Batley do and make the prices the same for both stands?

#53 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,418 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have seen a few play, because I take charge at a local under 10's team (Dewsbury Moor), I have seen two children, both Pakistani, play myself.

I bet they were actually British!

(Just for accuracy.)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#54 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

This is a forum, I share my opinions as much as my ideas. Could I help put them into action? Of course not, I spend as much time in the UK as I do out of it but that doesn't mean I am not passionate about the club moving forward and willing to help throw ideas into the forum. But I have tried:
4 years ago I had a career lined up which would take me all over the world, to some of the most amazing places on this earth, many UNESCO, wonders of the world and far flung places that are completely isolated save for days of travel. I contacted the club and asked if they would like me to take a Dewsbury shirt and have it snapped all over the planet - I was completely ignored.
About 6 months later off the back of my first trip around China and the Far east I got in touch with the club again - I was completely ignored.

Since that first contact I have been to 42 countries across 6 continents, the ONLY wonders of the world (modern/ancient/and historical) that I HAVENT been to is Machu Pichu in Peru and Im going there next month and the Great Barrier Reef (which Ive no plans of going to at the moment)
I could have put a Dewsbury shirt across Asia, the USA and to just about every corner of India including on some of the worlds highest peaks, most baron deserts or densest jungles.

So Equalizer, don't come at me with this whole 'cross the line, keyboard warrior' sketch because it doesn't fit. I have tried to help the club where time allows and I was ignored, twice.
Still, my offer does stand, I am going to Egypt on the 24th Jan (Cairo/Hurghada/Luxor/Abu Simbel/Aswan/Siwa Oasis and the Western Desert) and then Venice/Rome/Venezuala/Colombia/Peru/Brussels on the 25th Feb.

Has to be the most self obsessed,vain comment I have ever seen on here.
Thanks for letting us all know about your travel plans and taking time to add up all your previous destinations.
What makes you think that travelling around like some modern day Phillias Fogg,and draping a Rams shirt over some unsuspecting local and then posting a picture of it,is going to get more people to the next Rams game?
Just because the club did not immediately sign you up as a roving ambassador,then the club are at fault for missing such a great opportunity.Shame on them.Maybe we can get them to make a special set of red,amber and black suitcases for you before you go away,and fill them with cuddly Roger the Ram toys to give out to all the kids you meet on the trip.Don,t forget to include a copy of this years fixture list so they can plan their trips over here.

#55 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Agreeing with Toms comment I am more than willing to go to any school or suitable event in the yorksire region to spread the word of the Rams. Infact last year I attended the Thornhill Lees community centre family funday which is a stones throw from Savile town. I also attended Westborough high school and Raventhorpe J&I school. I frequently go down into Dewsbury for all the town centre events and I’ve even gone shopping in all the gear on Saturdays just for the hell of it before some matches to spread the word and answer questions about fixture times and dates. On a final note last year I attended 80 plus events as the horned ambassador of the Rams. Lets see if I can do 100+ this year.

Edited by RogerTRam, 12 January 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#56 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Has to be the most self obsessed,vain comment I have ever seen on here.
Thanks for letting us all know about your travel plans and taking time to add up all your previous destinations.
What makes you think that travelling around like some modern day Phillias Fogg,and draping a Rams shirt over some unsuspecting local and then posting a picture of it,is going to get more people to the next Rams game?
Just because the club did not immediately sign you up as a roving ambassador,then the club are at fault for missing such a great opportunity.Shame on them.Maybe we can get them to make a special set of red,amber and black suitcases for you before you go away,and fill them with cuddly Roger the Ram toys to give out to all the kids you meet on the trip.Don,t forget to include a copy of this years fixture list so they can plan their trips over here.

Exposure, something different, something fun.

Still, better than any idea you have come up with. Acually, who are you?

Tom - Thanks for addressing what I wrote, its appreciated.

Roger - Your a good bloke, I have seen the work you do and hope the club values you like it should.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 12 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#57 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

I bet they were actually British!

(Just for accuracy.)

Maybe so BSJ, maybe so, but yet again, if they are/were british, they are/would be British Pakistani, if you get my point

#58 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Maybe so BSJ, maybe so, but yet again, if they are/were british, they are/would be British Pakistani, if you get my point

If they were born in the UK - They are British.

Nothing else to it.

#59 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Exposure, something different, something fun.

Still, better than any idea you have come up with. Acually, who are you?

Tom - Thanks for addressing what I wrote, its appreciated.

Roger - Your a good bloke, I have seen the work you do and hope the club values you like it should.

Do I have to be someone?
As you say in your post this is a forum.I am entitled to come on and comment.
I do not have your obvious urge to list the things I have done and still do.
Neither do I have to have to come up with ideas(though red amber and black suite cases for travelling)could be seen as a possible for the more well travelled Dewsbury fans.
I have been a Dewsbury fan for a long long time and follow the club in my own way.The fact that you or others on here do not know me does not mean that I should not have a say.There are plenty of fans who do not follow the forum or other media forums,does that mean they are not entitled to have an opinion about the club?
I am an avid follower of the forum and do not find it necessary to comment very often,however with this post and a previous one when you talk of gaining a degree, it all just screams "look at me,look what I have done,how could you not think my ideas are great"?
I personally didn't,t think the idea was great and obviously neither did the club.

#60 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

If they were born in the UK - They are British.

Nothing else to it.

Yes, but they are of Pakistani ethnicity, they are British by nationality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users