Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakey score

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Change in the advantage rule ? Rovers didn't get the ball so they get the scrum ? :mellow:

Just guessing, like......

This ruling affiliates us to the kick and clap brigade. The RL want to speed the game up, but this does the complete opposite.

#22 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

IMO,not much to choose between the teams as far as actual rugby goes. They were just sharper and slicker on the ball. Dont think their forwards broke any pots, but their strength today was in their halfback line up. Owd Cocky had a blinder.
I still believe that we lack that physical presence on the field and very rarely do we try anything different in our approach, such as a dink over the top or a good kick in play to relieve pressure or scoots from dummy half.
Cannot see any problems this year on todays showing.

Edited by Bob Crowther, 13 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#23 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

IMO,not much to choose between the teams as far as actual rugby goes. They were just sharper and slicker on the ball. Dont think their forwards broke any pots, but their strength today was in their halfback line up. Owd Cocky had a blinder.
I still believe that we lack that physical presence on the field and very rarely do we try anything different in our approach, such as a dink over the top or a good kick in play to relieve pressure or scoots from dummy half.
Cannot see any problems this year on todays showing.

Agree bob we don't seem to have a plan B. DP as a way of playing the game and he sticks to it ( which I don't mind but it caught us out in the two finals last season when we didn't have a plan B )But yes I do agree with you that we will be very hard to beat again this season. Also I think our pack as the potential to be stronger this season than last. I thought our forwards were immense today and lamont looked a class player in the making he was outstanding today.

Edited by thundergaz, 13 January 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#24 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Surprises me Gaz as I rate both your halfbacks. Maybe your coach is out of his depth ? ;)

#25 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Agree bob we don't seem to have a plan B. DP as a way of playing the game and he sticks to it ( which I don't mind but it caught us out in the two finals last season when we didn't have a plan B )But yes I do agree with you that we will be very hard to beat again this season. Also I think our pack as the potential to be stronger this season than last. I thought our forwards were immense today and lamont looked a class player in the making he was outstanding today.

Get him on the treadmill for a few hours and he will be a force to be reckoned with.

#26 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Surprises me Gaz as I rate both your halfbacks. Maybe your coach is out of his depth ? ;)

Frank I can't knock DP what so ever he's done a fantastic job for us since he arrived. He as one way of playing the game and it as worked for us so far but when teams match us I.E the 2 finals last season our players seemed a bit lost in what to do next but that's just my opinion of course. As for our halfbacks they are the best 2 in our league no doubt about that. But no matter how good a player is he as to play to the coaches instructions.

Edited by thundergaz, 13 January 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#27 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Frank I can't knock DP what so ever he's done a fantastic job for us since he arrived. He as one way of playing the game and it as worked for us so far but when teams match us I.E the 2 finals last season our players seemed a bit lost in what to do next but that's just my opinion of course. As for our halfbacks they are the best 2 in our league no doubt about that. But no matter how good a player is he as to play to the coaches instructions.

Assuming that we are achieving the ultimate results.

#28 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Assuming that we are achieving the ultimate results.

Yeah true bob. But you have to assume we are.

#29 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Did the players get through yesterday with out picking up any injuries? I haven't heard any of them picked up injuries just seeing if anyone as heard anything? Hopefully they all got through it un scathed

Edited by thundergaz, 14 January 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#30 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Greg limped off but apparently was just a dead leg thank goodness .

I was happy with the second half and can't wait for the season to begin.

Hardmans try showed immense strength , all the players have put on muscle by the looks yesterday.

Lamont is going to be a HUGE crowd favourite if he continues.

Let the battle commence
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#31 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Think Lamont is struggling with fitness but can make yards in the tackle. So he‘ll be a good addition this year.

Dave Scott looked promising... VERY QUICK!

Cummins Out.

#32 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

addition this year.

Dave Scott looked promising... VERY QUICK!

He was getting out of my car when I had a speeding ticket in my hand...... he was off like Usain Bolt!!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#33 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Think Lamont is struggling with fitness but can make yards in the tackle. So he‘ll be a good addition this year.

Well he's come to the right place to get fit. Our coaching staff and DP will get him fit I'm sure of that. If there is one thing our players lack it's not fitness that's for sure.

#34 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Lack of pace was what i got out of it...Cockayne's by no means the fastest guy in SL but we couldnt get near him.Got until feb 3rd to come up with a solution.could be a worry. :wacko:

#35 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Heppy exposed. A winger he isn't!

#36 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hodson?
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#37 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Heppy exposed. A winger he isn't!

I hadn't realised it was Heppy on the wing until after the game. No wonder we were shipping most points down that side, as you're quite right, he ain't a winger!

In the 2nd half, I was just part way through commenting that our no 2 had gone much better at full back to my Wakey supporting mate, when he dropped the ball, leading to conceding a try. :rolleyes: :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#38 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Heppy to 13 for me.

#39 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Heppy to 13 for me.

Yep, options with interchanging with Briggsy there, and swapping Briggsy and Kainy at 6. Briggsy can also cover 7 if required, and Heppy 1.

One name I was pondering over yesterday was Jack Bussey. Is he injured?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#40 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

To sum up, the score line slightly flattered the Wildcats. In the first half they scored two tries plus conversions from blatant forward passes, which, if they had been correctly disallowed, the result would have been much tighter.