55 replies to this topic

#41 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.
We can't accommadate everyone. Ellis to 9 interchange with Kainy. - That would mean Kaye missing out but is the most effective use of the play-makers. Doesn't mean I think Benny the Ball is crapola, I just think we have more options with Kainy coming off the bench.
The only other consideration would be perhaps Heppy at 3 or 4, but I'm not sure he has the size for Centre.
Then, is there room enough in the squad for Matty Dale and Tim spears in the same team??? For me no. I think the two are very similar. We have a big squad now and I don't think you can play both. One or t'other.

Hardo
Tommy S
Helliwell/Sam if fit/available
Greg
Tomm H
Briggsy
Liam

Ingy
Ellis
Crossley
Lamont
Tim
Heppy

Matt James
Locky
Kainy
and then one other................ depending on oposition etc....

Daryl may have other ideas. He's the coach not me. Personally I preferred a settled team asap rather than rotating for the sake of rotation. Players get injured, others will get their chances.
But the sooner a settled team is arrived at the better it will be for me.

But like I said, I'm just a Ginger bloke that's never played or coached at that level.... there are others at the club who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#42 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.
We can't accommadate everyone. Ellis to 9 interchange with Kainy. - That would mean Kaye missing out but is the most effective use of the play-makers. Doesn't mean I think Benny the Ball is crapola, I just think we have more options with Kainy coming off the bench.
The only other consideration would be perhaps Heppy at 3 or 4, but I'm not sure he has the size for Centre.
Then, is there room enough in the squad for Matty Dale and Tim spears in the same team??? For me no. I think the two are very similar. We have a big squad now and I don't think you can play both. One or t'other.

Hardo
Tommy S
Greg
Tomm H
Briggsy
Liam

Ingy
Ellis
Crossley
Lamont
Tim
Heppy

Matt James
Locky
Kainy

Daryl may have other ideas. He's the coach not me. Personally I preferred a settled team asap rather than rotating for the sake of rotation. Players get injured, others will get their chances.

But like I said, I'm just a Ginger bloke that's never played or coached at that level.... there are others at the club who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Maybe we should accomodate everyone. We'd steamroller the opposition with 23/24 players on the pitch. :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#43 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Can someone explain the new rule today regarding our team kicking the ball chasing it not recovering it so ref brings teams back for a scrum and gives us head and feed

Yes. Sounds to me there was an infringement by Wakey, the ref allowed advantage, there was no advantage so the play was brought back to original position. Not under the new rules but good use of an old one.

#44 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Heppy exposed. A winger he isn't!

Got to pull you a bit on that won Robin, you are indeed right heppy is no winger, but he was not helped by Andy Kain, who jumped out of the line on one occasion for an interception that was not on and left heppy well and truly exposed. Cockyane is class, for me we would have struggled to win the grand final that we did without him, he made two breaks in that match that pretty much saw sheffield off.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#45 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.

Hardo
Tommy S
Greg
Tomm H
Briggsy
Liam

Ingy
Ellis
Crossley
Lamont
Tim
Heppy

Matt James
Locky
Kainy

Bang on robin, I think briggs should be six playing on the right, and Kainy to scrum half. Briggs is wasted at 13 and cant seem to get into the game, his biggest strength is his width of pass, and he needs to be at 6. Cant leave kainy out so kain to hooker as you say and maybe benny missing out.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#46 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I agree too I've always said Briggs is a stand off and nothing more. Briggs was by far the best stand off in this league before the bulls took him. Get heppy and Matty back at 13 or maybe lamont could play 13 when he gets his fitness up because he looks quick to me don't know about his ball handling skills yet but if that's ok I think he would make a great 13. The problem we do have though is when benny is missing we seem to ship more points than normal as he is a rock for us in defence but I'm sure DP will get it right as the season goes on.

#47 pud80

pud80
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

spot on robin, smeats defo in when he comes back and benny to miss out for me. would have james , kain , haley or bossy and then either dale or locky as the last replacement so 2 decent players to miss out each week. think kyle needs to go back to six , heppy attacking at 13 and kainy running riot from the bench!

#48 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

i'm heppys biggest fan and always look for his name on the teamsheet, BUT, his problem is he's so good in so many positions it makes him an ideal bench player.. you could put him anywhere in the spine or at centre and he will do the job.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#49 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

i'm heppys biggest fan and always look for his name on the teamsheet, BUT, his problem is he's so good in so many positions it makes him an ideal bench player.. you could put him anywhere in the spine or at centre and he will do the job.

Totally agree OR.

#50 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Bang on robin, I think briggs should be six playing on the right, and Kainy to scrum half. Briggs is wasted at 13 and cant seem to get into the game, his biggest strength is his width of pass, and he needs to be at 6. Cant leave kainy out so kain to hooker as you say and maybe benny missing out.

I keep on harping about this: Briggsy can't play down the left! At least not in attack. He's brilliant on the right though. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it's a fact we need to accept. Last year Kain was our player of the season, but I believe that some teams have sussed him out, and when he was kept quiet in the two Finals we didn't know what to do! Perhaps we weren't as free scoring, but perhaps we were better with the line-up that beat Cas - Briggs R/H pivot, Heppy L/H pivot, and Kain at hooker or bench? Trouble with that is the team moves quicker with Ben at acting-half, and Ellis will be top class. I would use a squad rotation system for the pivot, hooker, and scrum half positions, so that by the time the two big finals come around we will know what our best formation is, but will also have well rehearsed cover for any unforeseen absences.

#51 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.

Hardo
Tommy S
Greg
Tomm H
Briggsy
Liam

Ingy
Ellis
Crossley
Lamont
Tim
Heppy

Matt James
Locky
Kainy

The way you went down when i put that shoulder on you its a pretty good job your not in charge, it was like tackling an empty shirt

#52 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Oh ey up. Blow hard puts a cheap shot on a one legged bloke, when he wasny lookin n now he's ten men!
Go count bollards on t'M1 soft lad!

Edited by Robin Evans, 14 January 2013 - 08:30 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#53 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Without Ben at 9 we ship more points and he helps to pick things up at acting half. Kainy was the outstanding player last season, Ellis will be devastating from acting half and Briggsy needs to come back to stand off - leaving the loose forward post to Heppy and Mat.

I'm sure a decent rotation system can be found that utilises the strengths of each of the players.

like Bob Though, I'm always surprised by the way we (and other teams) spurn opportunities for summatt different.

Take dropping out from under the sticks or from the kick off on the half way line; more often than not you'll find an acre of space between the opposing front defenders and those posted on their own line. The vast majority end up being kicked as far as, or high as possible when, with a little bit of practice, those spaces could be exploited. The same could be said at scrums when the opposition full back comes up in to the line.
Like Bob I've probably been spoiled over the years by some of the scrum halves we've enjoyed at PR over the years - and that included Finny.

I sometimes think that coaches are afraid to deviate too much from the "norm." I'm not criticising DP - far from it - he's the best thing that's happened to us for donkeys years. I just think that all coaches tend to play percentages too often

#54 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

great when it comes off, brown stuff hits the fan when it doesn't. thing is, the coaches job is on the line, ours isn't
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#55 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

great when it comes off, brown stuff hits the fan when it doesn't. thing is, the coaches job is on the line, ours isn't

His jobs safe OR I bet until after a few seasons in SL. That's if we get there of course.

Edited by thundergaz, 15 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#56 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Match highlights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users