TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The SL Licensing v Promotion & Relegation debate thread

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

This thread includes comments moved from the 'Nahaboo has big plans for Featherstone Rovers' thread because they are generally off-topic and liable to drag that thread down another blind alley about SL licensing v Promotion & Relegation, so I've shifted them all here. Feel free to continue the SL licensing v Promotion & Relegation here, where it can be discussed in a non club specific way. Thanks - John Drake, Webmaster

=================================
If Featherstone Rovers get a license, will this stop all the moaners out their who keep going on about licensing killing the chances of a small town team getting a SL license?

There are a few clubs in SL who have bigger average crowds than Fev's population!
Posted Image

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

If Featherstone Rovers get a license, will this stop all the moaners out their who keep going on about licensing killing the chances of a small town team getting a SL license?

There are a few clubs in SL who have bigger average crowds than Fev's population!

See what I mean trying to de-rail the thread again but I will entertain you. Why should getting to SL be about a fan base, money etc etc. Also don't say you can't survive SL without money or crowds because if that was the case why is all the expansion going on? I mean look at crusaders they had a fan base of 200 and still got into SL.

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Why should getting to SL be about a fan base, money etc etc.

So that people get paid for goods and services they supply.

Come on Gaz - professional sport has always been about money. That's what makes it professional.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

So that people get paid for goods and services they supply.

Come on Gaz - professional sport has always been about money. That's what makes it professional.

You knew what i meant Richie. I was more on about the fan base thing with the crusaders as a good example. But if a team wins promotion then IMO they deserve a Craic at SL with a fan base, money or not. Anyway this thread isn't about fan bases etc its about the investment. Please stick to it because I don't want this thread closing too.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

You knew what i meant Richie. I was more on about the fan base thing with the crusaders as a good example. But if a team wins promotion then IMO they deserve a Craic at SL with a fan base, money or not. Anyway this thread isn't about fan bases etc its about the investment. Please stick to it because I don't want this thread closing too.

Yes - I know what you meant. But I don't agree with it.

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

This is great news for Fev, especially if the consortium materialises and puts extra funding into the club. Kind of knocks the theories that no investor would ever fund any Cc clubs only SL clubs on the head.

If Fev do get the SL licence, and they should, it begs the question of who will be removed from SL. If the Salford situation is resolved with the new money there, it leaves Castleford as the most likely candidate for demotion, having no huge investor, the new stadium project on hold, and a poor playing record the last couple of years.

The RFL report on the future direction of the game and SL in particular assunes critical importance.

Great work at Fev though. From CC1 to this in a few short years. Pretty impressive.

#7 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

unless the RFL do a massive back track then fev won't get in super league unless wakie and/or cas leave.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

unless the RFL do a massive back track then fev won't get in super league unless wakie and/or cas leave.

Surely they will if they apply and they meet the criteria and they score higher on the licence application form than their competitors. In that case, they will deserve to be in and well done to them. See? the system works.

Edited by JohnM, 11 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

When did I say it was?
Posted Image

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

When did I say it was?

OK - I'll say it.

#11 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

but equally why should it be about the on field performance? it's only 1 aspect of a club, the licenses take a look at the whole club.

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

OK - I'll say it.

I'm not saying I don't agree. I'm just saying I didn't say it, so his whole "I've derailed the thread by saying x" moan is fairly amusing as he has achieved this all on his own!
Posted Image

#13 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

but equally why should it be about the on field performance? it's only 1 aspect of a club, the licenses take a look at the whole club.

exactly that's why fev are growing every aspect of the club so hopefully come the next round of licenses they will be in the best position to be awarded a license.

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

exactly that's why fev are growing every aspect of the club so hopefully come the next round of licenses they will be in the best position to be awarded a license.

Exactly.

Try telling that to a few of your fellow supporters on here though and you'll see our frustrations!
Posted Image

#15 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Exactly.

Try telling that to a few of your fellow supporters on here though and you'll see our frustrations!

I'm a big fan of bringing back P&R. That's why I feel so strongly about having to tick x, y and z. ( which IMO is a joke) But before you say anything I don't want P&R back for featherstone rovers I want it back for the game in general. P&R coming back in time for the 2015 season would hurt featherstone rovers as all the hard work they have put in to getting us in SL would depend on that one season and not the three years grace you get.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Why should getting to SL be about a fan base, money etc etc. Also don't say you can't survive SL without money or crowds

Because you are not moving within divisions within a league, you are moving from one competition to another.

Its like moving from Barla leagues to the Championship leagues.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Because you are not moving within divisions within a league, you are moving from one competition to another.

Its like moving from Barla leagues to the Championship leagues.

with all due respect padge, that's not a very good comparison. It's nowt like that!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

with all due respect padge, that's not a very good comparison. It's nowt like that!

I'm sorry but it is. It is exactly the same.

You guys still seem to think that SL is just the old first division, it isn't and it has never been. The have their own articles of membership, all the clubs in it are shareholders in it.

The championship is a separate competition.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm sorry but it is. It is exactly the same.

You guys still seem to think that SL is just the old first division, it isn't and it has never been. The have their own articles of membership, all the clubs in it are shareholders in it.

The championship is a separate competition.

So, if Fev are elected into membership and another team is removed from SL, what happens to the SL shares that the removed club own ?

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

So, if Fev are elected into membership and another team is removed from SL, what happens to the SL shares that the removed club own ?

They are transferred to the entering club.

Its all in the articles of association if you would care to read them.

Edited by Padge, 12 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users