Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rumours abound that Widnes are in financial strife.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Any truth in this as I've read on more than one message board and fellow supporter that Steve O'Connor is looking for investors to take over the club.

If there is any truth it would be quite ironic considering all the hype surrounding them and how financially stable they were since the last time they went bust.

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

There was a story in the Sun (billy's daily liar) that O'Conner had spoken to someone about buying it and they said no.

It came from a source who could only be described as a pedlar of garbage.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Wasn't there a thread about this 2 days ago?
Posted Image

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,232 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Wasn't there a thread about this 2 days ago?

Yes

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

complete and utter garbage!! it is nothing of the sort, S O'C has once again asked the people of widnes to get behind the team and join the viking stronghold scheme........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Nosey Parker strikes again

He's nearly as guilty of pinching a living as Ryan Bailey is!

#7 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Another false,inaccurate and misleading 'headline' from Daddy.Why do you constantly wish to damage the game?

#8 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Another false,inaccurate and misleading 'headline' from Daddy.Why do you constantly wish to damage the game?

Damage the game? I'm just posing the question as its being discussed on other forums, wasn't aware there already was a thread a few days ago.

#9 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Tbh it's now really new or news. I doubt whether there are any Superleague clubs not under some strain. All businesses are.

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Tbh it's now really new or news. I doubt whether there are any Superleague clubs not under some strain. All businesses are.

I think your right. I think they will be more clubs in financial trouble before this seasons out or before the start of next season.

#11 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Mischief making there has been no suggestion of Financial strife whatsoever. Anyone who doesn't know that running a SL club isn't a significant loss making business for at least 10 out of 14 clubs on an ongoing basis shouldn't really be commenting on RL Finances.

#12 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Nothing makes a Rugby League fan happier than a crisis
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

the truth is that parker has looked at the forums, seen that widnes have been streamlining their operation to become a more efficient company, and updating the back room staff and he has put 2+2=5
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#14 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

And for whatever reason,Daddy has decided to spread totally unfounded rumours - thats called libel.Sorry Judge,I was just repeating something I know nothing about.No problem Sir,Guilty.

#15 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

the truth is that parker has looked at the forums, seen that widnes have been streamlining their operation to become a more efficient company, and updating the back room staff and he has put 2+2=5

This is the only possibly libelous comment so far.What facts exist to substantiate this?

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

the fact that our chairman told me directly that he is annoyed at the inaccurate reporting in the national press, he assured me that there is no danger whatsoever that he is going to pull out of the club, as he has spent a large amount on the club, ground etc (including the full funding for the i-pitch) and is not in the habit of giving money away for nothing in return. we were a little top heavy behind the scenes and like any company we have had to streamline the backroom in order to concentrate on the product on the pitch, which is why some staff have been made redundant as they were considered superfluous to the needs of the club, rest assured that widnes vikings are in super league for the long haul with steve o'connor at the helm.......................

#17 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Repeating a libel,is a libelous offence - fact.

#18 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

the fact that our chairman told me directly that he is annoyed at the inaccurate reporting in the national press, he assured me that there is no danger whatsoever that he is going to pull out of the club, as he has spent a large amount on the club, ground etc (including the full funding for the i-pitch) and is not in the habit of giving money away for nothing in return. we were a little top heavy behind the scenes and like any company we have had to streamline the backroom in order to concentrate on the product on the pitch, which is why some staff have been made redundant as they were considered superfluous to the needs of the club, rest assured that widnes vikings are in super league for the long haul with steve o'connor at the helm.......................

This may well be true but what evidence do you have that reporters trawl internet forums to create copy?

#19 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Repeating a libel,is a libelous offence - fact.

...and? Which bit was libelous? Who's been personally affected by false allegations? What damages have occurred and what price do you put on them?

Is the chairman making statements in the press that is leading to speculation? Wouldn't the chairman be better off not courting speculation by saying nothing to anyone he doesn't trust?

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,395 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Whoa there. You can't go blaming the chairman! And of course reporters and journalists trawl the forums, twitter etc. They would not be doing their jobs if they did not. Indeed, some organs pay people to do just hat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users