Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TROPHY LAUNCH EVENT - Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup

Press ReleaseHull FC Hull KR Cross-Code Heritage RL Cares Charity Steve McNamara Trophy Launch Public Event

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

On Wednesday, 23rd January, the seventieth anniversary of the very first cross-code rugby game, former Hull Kingston Rovers and Great Britain star Alan Burwell will launch a brand new trophy to be competed for by the University of Hull’s rugby league and union sides. And for the first time, he will exclusively reveal the great secret of his rugby career at a public charity event that will raise money for both Rugby League Cares and Wooden Spoon.

At the launch of the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup, the man who scored Hull Kingston Rovers’ only try at the 1964 Challenge Cup Final will reveal his secret career as an undercover Rugby Union player.

The public forum will take place at Staff House at the University of Hull at 7.15pm on Wednesday 23 January. Alan will recall his days as an incognito union player in a round table rugby discussion chaired by the rugby historian Professor Tony Collins.

Also participating will be the former British Lion, England and Newcastle Falcons player John Bentley, who also played Rugby League for Leeds, Huddersfield and Balmain Tigers, and former Hull F.C. favourite and current England Rugby League Head Coach Steve McNamara.

Steve is a trustee of Rugby League Cares, the charitable foundation established by the Rugby Football League to support charity and community projects. John is Yorkshire’s Honorary President of Wooden Spoon, a charity that improves the lives of disadvantaged children and young people in Britain and Ireland through rugby-related projects.

The event inaugurates the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup, a trophy that will be annually competed for at a charity match contested by the University of Hull’s rugby league and rugby union sides. Both clubs have played cross-code games in the past, but for pride rather than silverware, and Alan Burwell will personally hand over the cup to both club presidents. The Cup is generously sponsored by the rugby community, with Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Hull Rugby Football Club and the Wally Simpson Donation Fund administered by Hull and District Youth League, being permanent sponsors.

‘Alan’s story is one of the most fascinating stories in rugby’s hidden history,’ said Professor Collins. ‘Naming the new cross-code challenge trophy after Alan is a fitting tribute to one of Hull’s rugby greats.’

January 23rd is a fitting date for the event, as it will be the seventieth anniversary of the very first cross-code game in 1943, which saw the Army’s Northern Command Rugby Union play Northern Command Rugby League in a hard-fought battle at Headingley.

The forum is open to all members of the public, which will take place in the Lindsay Suite at Staff House, The University of Hull. Doors open to the public at 6:45 and the event will begin at 7:15pm. Entry is free, but all voluntary proceeds will be split between both Rugby League Cares and Wooden Spoon.

For more information please contact Victoria Dawson, Chair of the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup Committee, on 01482 218108 or email Victoria.S.Dawson@hotmail.co.uk.

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#2 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like an interesting night.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#3 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sounds like an interesting night.

It promises to be so. I just hope Hull's rugby league fans support it for the sake of the charities involved, and the success of rugby league heritage events on the whole. :)

#4 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

only a small detail Victoria, but it is probably worth pointiing out that Bentos also played for GB and England) at RL. The blurb mentions he did it at union.
Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#5 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

only a small detail Victoria, but it is probably worth pointiing out that Bentos also played for GB and England) at RL. The blurb mentions he did it at union.

Yes, but in the interests of cross-code balance I opted to leave that out of the promo stuff to emphasise his RU background. :)

#6 Tony Collins

Tony Collins
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Victoria’s right, it’s going to be a great evening.

Alan Burwell was a boyhood Hull FC fan who scored for Hull KR in the 1964 Challenge Cup final, played for Great Britain in the 1968 World Cup and then went to Australia where he captained Canterbury Bulldogs. Come and talk to him about a fascinating career.

John Bentley came over from Sale rugby union to play for Leeds and went on to play for GB. Went union went pro he went back and played for union’s British Lions. He has a lot of interesting things to say about the contrast between us and them.

And if you haven’t got any questions for Steve Mac...

It’s for a great cause. RL Cares provides benevolent support for players with serious injuries, promotes fund-raising initiatives for charities and supports rugby league heritage.

Come along and spend a quality couple of hours talking rugby - it’s the best offer you’ll have this Wednesday.

Twitter: @collinstony

#7 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'll be on BBC Radio Humberside discussing the Cup launch from 11:30 if anyone would like to listen. :)

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,684 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

On Wednesday, 23rd January, the seventieth anniversary of the very first cross-code rugby game, former Hull Kingston Rovers and Great Britain star Alan Burwell will launch a brand new trophy to be competed for by the University of Hull’s rugby league and union sides. And for the first time, he will exclusively reveal the great secret of his rugby career at a public charity event that will raise money for both Rugby League Cares and Wooden Spoon.

At the launch of the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup, the man who scored Hull Kingston Rovers’ only try at the 1964 Challenge Cup Final will reveal his secret career as an undercover Rugby Union player.

The public forum will take place at Staff House at the University of Hull at 7.15pm on Wednesday 23 January. Alan will recall his days as an incognito union player in a round table rugby discussion chaired by the rugby historian Professor Tony Collins.

Also participating will be the former British Lion, England and Newcastle Falcons player John Bentley, who also played Rugby League for Leeds, Huddersfield and Balmain Tigers, and former Hull F.C. favourite and current England Rugby League Head Coach Steve McNamara.

Steve is a trustee of Rugby League Cares, the charitable foundation established by the Rugby Football League to support charity and community projects. John is Yorkshire’s Honorary President of Wooden Spoon, a charity that improves the lives of disadvantaged children and young people in Britain and Ireland through rugby-related projects.

The event inaugurates the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup, a trophy that will be annually competed for at a charity match contested by the University of Hull’s rugby league and rugby union sides. Both clubs have played cross-code games in the past, but for pride rather than silverware, and Alan Burwell will personally hand over the cup to both club presidents. The Cup is generously sponsored by the rugby community, with Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Hull Rugby Football Club and the Wally Simpson Donation Fund administered by Hull and District Youth League, being permanent sponsors.

‘Alan’s story is one of the most fascinating stories in rugby’s hidden history,’ said Professor Collins. ‘Naming the new cross-code challenge trophy after Alan is a fitting tribute to one of Hull’s rugby greats.’

January 23rd is a fitting date for the event, as it will be the seventieth anniversary of the very first cross-code game in 1943, which saw the Army’s Northern Command Rugby Union play Northern Command Rugby League in a hard-fought battle at Headingley.

The forum is open to all members of the public, which will take place in the Lindsay Suite at Staff House, The University of Hull. Doors open to the public at 6:45 and the event will begin at 7:15pm. Entry is free, but all voluntary proceeds will be split between both Rugby League Cares and Wooden Spoon.

For more information please contact Victoria Dawson, Chair of the Alan Burwell Cross-Code Challenge Cup Committee, on 01482 218108 or email Victoria.S.Dawson@hotmail.co.uk.

Beverley A.R.L.F.C used to play their union counterparts back in the 80's on Boxing day every year and that was when the union bad was still in force, not sure if the game is still played.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I had a listen - thought it was an excellent piece, will you be turning your hand to broadcasting once your studies are finished? ;)

Hope you get a good turn out tonight, sounds like an interesting evening is in store.

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Really didn't know what to expect of this beforehand but I'm really pleased I went. It was a quality event. Well done to everybody involved.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Really didn't know what to expect of this beforehand but I'm really pleased I went. It was a quality event. Well done to everybody involved.

I concur :)
John Bentley was particularly entertaining.
Thought his comment about RU having the stage & a poor product and RL having the product but a poor stage was spot on.
A very good night out.

Edited by Roy Boy, 25 January 2013 - 12:34 AM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#12 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I had a listen - thought it was an excellent piece, will you be turning your hand to broadcasting once your studies are finished? ;)

Hope you get a good turn out tonight, sounds like an interesting evening is in store.

No! Unless the BBC want to wheel me out on Woman's Hour to talk about RL! Thank you for listening though. Hope you enjoyed The Beatles!

I concur :)
John Bentley was particularly entertaining.
Thought his comment about RU having the stage & a poor product and RL having the product but a poor stage was spot on.
A very good night out.

Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't get to see you as much as I wanted, but I really appreciate you turning out and supporting this. Glad you enjoyed it.

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Well, I didn't go.

And it seems I missed a great night.... <_<

Edited by Old Frightful, 27 January 2013 - 05:33 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well, I didn't go.

And it seems I missed a great night.... <_<

You did. It would have been good to see you. But never mind, I am sure we shall all have a good catch-up before the Bradford game. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users