Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

HMV to go into Administration

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,659 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

OMG!!!

#62 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,659 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

This just in...It not just high street retail that is in turmoil.....Youtube, Twitter and Facebook are to merge.
To become YouTwitFace. :)

Edited by JohnM, 16 January 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#63 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

It's not only the internet which is competing with the likes of HMV, as has been suggested, supermarkets are a major competitor.

Which is a major problem, as they will only stock a very narrow range of CDs and DVDs - Chart stuff plus 'same old same old' compilations, endlessly repackaging the usual golden oldie suspects. Basically, the equivalent of that bin full of cassettes you used to find in petrol stations.

HMV left me behind as a customer, as there seemed to be less and less actual music each time they revamped their branches. And we have to remember they were part of the unofficial cartel that kept album prices artificially high for so many years, and fiercely defended that practice.

Still, it's a shame, especially when you hear interviews in the shop from people who freely admit to browsing the shelves of record shops, then placing orders via Amazon. They will have no right to complain when their record shop dies, but they'll complain anyway, thanks to their pointy-headed sense of entitlement.

That was one of the things that brought the excellent Borders down too. The free Wi-Fi meant that they actually paid for people to shaft them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#64 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,659 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Which is a major problem, as they will only stock a very narrow range of CDs and DVDs - Chart stuff plus 'same old same old' compilations, endlessly repackaging the usual golden oldie suspects. Basically, the equivalent of that bin full of cassettes you used to find in petrol stations.

HMV left me behind as a customer, as there seemed to be less and less actual music each time they revamped their branches. And we have to remember they were part of the unofficial cartel that kept album prices artificially high for so many years, and fiercely defended that practice.

Still, it's a shame, especially when you hear interviews in the shop from people who freely admit to browsing the shelves of record shops, then placing orders via Amazon. They will have no right to complain when their record shop dies, but they'll complain anyway, thanks to their pointy-headed sense of entitlement.

That was one of the things that brought the excellent Borders down too. The free Wi-Fi meant that they actually paid for people to shaft them.

Quite so, but you can very often listen on line to samples on Amazon. Then of course there is always Spotify.

#65 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

HMV CEO Trevor Moore was previously chief executive of Jessops.
He replaced previous HMV CEO Simon Fox in September last year.
Fox was previously MD of Comet.

And now Simon Fox is CEO of my company!!!

I think I may start looking for a new job!

#66 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

IMO people will turn off online shopping as half of the time the stuff you receive is suspect (ie fruit that you wouldn't accept)
Unless there is a big raising of standards in that area anyway .

We had a couple of goes at online grocery shopping and that is the problem we had or substituted items not being similar to the items ordered.

I buy quite a lot of things online, including clothes. I know what size I am and have never had a problem with sizing. I have a couple of female friends who claim for some reason clothes bought online are a size smaller than those in the shops ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#67 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Amazon were very smart putting a barcode reader in their smartphone app. Pop along to a store, find an item you like, scan with your phone and hey presto immediate price comparison and one click ordering.
Fides invicta triumphat

#68 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Tenuous League in strange places as apparently new Bulls director Kate Hardcastle was on Newsnight yesterday regarding HMV and the high street in general...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#69 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Tenuous League in strange places as apparently new Bulls director Kate Hardcastle was on Newsnight yesterday regarding HMV and the high street in general...

She was indeed. I watched it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#70 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Breaking news: Blockbuster UK have just gone into administration too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#71 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Scary that I thought they had gone bump years ago...
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#72 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

One of those brands that I suspect we all think fondly off, similar to Woolworths but rarely used.

Buy most of my music as digital downloads these days and when I do buy CDs it tends to be when having a wonder around Picaddilly Records or Vinyl Exchange simply because the prominent choice was a little less "X Factory" and they give prominence to some stuff I'd never have found in a shop like HMV.

If you ever got the "Top 100 of 20??" booklet that Piccadilly Records produced every year, you would notice that a lot of the "more mainstream" selections would appear in the "2 for £5" section at HMV very soon after.

Obviously someone at HMV was doing a little bit of research - just not enough !

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#73 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Good news(ish) for those with HMV vouchers. According to MSE some other stores will accept them as part payment.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#74 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

If you ever got the "Top 100 of 20??" booklet that Piccadilly Records produced every year, you would notice that a lot of the "more mainstream" selections would appear in the "2 for £5" section at HMV very soon after.

Obviously someone at HMV was doing a little bit of research - just not enough !

I'll be honest that'd have passed me by on the basis that I'd have seen the list and bought from Piccadilly Records more often than not! :)

#75 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Scary that I thought they had gone bump years ago...

me too

video shops eh: an important part of UK social history a symbol of the 1980s

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 17 January 2013 - 07:05 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#76 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

now that I download all my music I have no reason to go to HMV anymore

I just hope my nephew has spent the HMV vouchers I bought him for his birthday.

The voucher situation is a disgrace and should be looked at. Some of the companies in difficulty have continued offering vouchers up util the very last minute. Why anyone would be foolish enough to buy vouchers in future is beyond me!

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#77 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

They just haven't got a clue what to do!
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#78 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

The voucher situation is a disgrace and should be looked at. Some of the companies in difficulty have continued offering vouchers up util the very last minute. Why anyone would be foolish enough to buy vouchers in future is beyond me!

Unless specifically asked for them, I've never bought them. What's the point, when you can use the gift voucher that is universally accepted in all shops: cash!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#79 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Unless specifically asked for them, I've never bought them. What's the point, when you can use the gift voucher that is universally accepted in all shops: cash!

Agreed.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#80 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Blockbusters never recovered when Bob Holness left.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users