Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm just starting to wonder if Shaun Wane was ever the right choice to succeed McGuire at Wigan, I was very surprised when he was named as assistant and even more so when he got the top job.

They're not the same as they were under MM, they're not as solid and don't seem as ruthless or tight knit as a group. SW showed his naivety on a few occasions last year most notably the loss at Widnes and playing te young full back in a high pressure play off game against Leeds. He also made the most obvious gaffe when talking up how tough his pack was before they played Warrington who subsequently went on to crush Wigan in the forwards.

Now he selects a bunch of kids to go to HKR and face a near on full strength SL team and when they get beat up he throws them under a bus telling every reporter who'll listen that he's furious and disappointed.

http://www1.skysport...-Hull-KR-defeat

Edited by OMEGA, 14 January 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Having read the link you provided, I don't really see what the issue is here.

They won the League leaders shield and made it to two semi-finals last season. Only Tony Smith & Brian McDermott did better.

Calling for the Coaches head after a pre-season friendly is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?
Posted Image

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

He did well last year. Not many English coaches have won the LLS. It takes some winning.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,918 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

No...

...but you have.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Having read the link you provided, I don't really see what the issue is here.

They won the League leaders shield and made it to two semi-finals last season. Only Tony Smith & Brian McDermott did better.

Calling for the Coaches head after a pre-season friendly is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

I havnt called for him to be sacked, you made that bit up!

I'm asking questions about his ability based on his poor decision making and inability to accept any responsibility for F Ups

#6 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

He did well last year. Not many English coaches have won the LLS. It takes some winning.

They got progressively worse the longer the season went on, suggests to me that it was as McGuires influence faded so did Wigan.

#7 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

No...

...but you have.

Maybe he never HAD the plot

#8 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Nothing wrong with a coach expecting more from a promising group of youngsters. I'd have been more disappointed if he shrugged the result off and blamed youth / inexperience.

Wigan are likely to take a step back this season, but Wane isn't the issue, rather a general loss of talent and quality from the squad that couldn't be replaced.

Taking nothing away from MM, but his second season at Wigan, aside from the CC win, would have been judged more disappointing than Wane's first. I personally thought that Wane did an excellent job of giving youngsters their first taste of SL in 2012 notwithstanding the hiccup at Widnes.

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

They got progressively worse the longer the season went on, suggests to me that it was as McGuires influence faded so did Wigan.

I disagree. We started of poorly, then hit a real purple patch mid season where we brilliant, then faded fast at the back end of the season, probably due seemingly to fatigue. Now whilst that was down to Wane not rotating the squad properly, it is untrue to say we got progressively worse.

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

You have played two friendlies with a young squad both times. Wane may be disappointed in the young talent and to be honest do you blame him? He maybe thought the talent was better than it actually is. There is no doubt that when the season ends you will be in the top 4. To be disappointed in friendlies is a bit OTT to be honest especially when you had your youngsters out both times.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

sorry but having seen the teams wigan have put out in the friendlies, i can't see how anyone can blame wane for the defeats, all he has done is what more super league coaches should do is have a good look at his young players in a non competetive game. no doubt they will be in the top 4 again this season but the only worry is the players brought in to replace finch and leuluai, certainly extremely hard acts to follow.....................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Playing the youngsters and wanting more from them, good on wane.

This is the right time to give them a chance, they'll only get better by playing together.

Nothing to worry about, wane has done well at Wigan, not enough British coaches in our game.

No one can doubt his passion for WRLFC

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

This is the right time to give them a chance, they'll only get better by playing together.

Nothing to worry about, wane has done well at Wigan, not enough British coaches in our game.

This! I'm sure these promising youngsters will only get better from this experience. Wane expecting more from them is all part of that experience, mollycoddling them won't help their development.
Posted Image

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

sorry but having seen the teams wigan have put out in the friendlies, i can't see how anyone can blame wane for the defeats, all he has done is what more super league coaches should do is have a good look at his young players in a non competetive game. no doubt they will be in the top 4 again this season but the only worry is the players brought in to replace finch and leuluai, certainly extremely hard acts to follow.....................

If I'm honest, I'm not sure of the point of playing a youth team in friendlies. It annoys the hell out of me when clubs charge a decent amount for what is essentially a youth game, simply because they know fans will pay it as they have been missing their Rugby.

I'm not sure what Wigan will have got out of their two games so far - personally I prefer introducing youth players in with the decent players. I want to see what young lads can do running off the 1st team halves and so on. But that's Wane's choice and who am I to argue with his record.

On his actual coaching record, I think it is harsh to say Wigan have gone backwards, although I do have some doubts about his temperament. He is often seen and heard losing his rag and showing his frustration. Maguire did used to do this, but I think he was more controlled about it - similar to many of the other top coaches. I wonder whether this affects his clear thinking and direction when it comes to the big games, which their record is not brilliant in under Wane.
That said, that is just my opinion as an outsider, and often people's persona is completely different to how they speak to the press or look on TV during a match.

#15 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm finding this thread very bizarre
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

If I'm honest, I'm not sure of the point of playing a youth team in friendlies.

I guess the early days are difficult as you'll have some lads who played play-off and representative rugby or had operations/treatment in the close season so will be at a different stage of pre-season to those lads who may not have played since September and are itching for a game.

Good chance to mix it up a bit for me look at fringe players and those graduating from the first team. From a fans point of view, I don't think anyone was under any illusions as to what team was being put out at Leigh.

Anyone concerned about a coach the calibre of Wane at this stage is a clown or a troll, delete as you see fit.

#17 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Is Wane not showing that he learns from his mistakes?

There is a time and a place to find out whether your youngsters can handle SL quality, and it is not in a regular season fixture as he discovered last season on a couple of occasions. He and his staff already know what the first team squad can do, how they fit together and know that it is going to be a long season this year, is there a pressing need to start them in the 'friendlies'?

I imagine he sees pre-season the best opportunity to cast an eye over the younger Wigan players to see who is ready or not to make the step up.

Edited by foozler, 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#18 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

This is very disappointing news as I understand London had shown an interest.

Could have wrapped up two threads at once as well.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#19 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Wigan, with several players hopefully involved in the World Cup final on 30th November, don't play their full team in friendlies on January 5th and January 12th. Wane out!

#20 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Young squads often take a beating in pre-season.

Wane's point is that he expects his youngsters to perform better than they did - after the first warm-up game he said they made some mistakes he would not expect even youngsters to make. Nothing wrong with being aspirational and make it clear that there are standards he expects them to attain. I am sure internally he gives weighting to the fact it was a young squad. He's trying to create a no excuses culture, which I think is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users