RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wane played five lads from the U19s in his squad v HKR.
Five/Six from his first team 17.
The rest he's to find out whether they stay at the club or go out on loan or dual reg.
He knows his first 17 and first 20.
He's giving the rest a chance to move up their respective pecking order.
On Thursday v Salford he will play more first teamers and the final trial game at Wire I'd imagine he's go with his best available or form best 17.
As for Wigan fans, we knew the squad 9am Friday morning so who was playing and who wasn't was very well known.
In answer to the OP, no he hasn't lost the plot.
I think he's plotted his way through the trial games with thought and planning.

#22 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Wane hadn't lost the plot last season .Wigan had a very a very good season finished top played some good football 2 minutes away from a grand final lost a CC semi final.Wane has lost a few players this year so he has a bit of building to do if he has a season like last year it will be well done Wane,who knows he may win the lot!
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,502 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I guess the early days are difficult as you'll have some lads who played play-off and representative rugby or had operations/treatment in the close season so will be at a different stage of pre-season to those lads who may not have played since September and are itching for a game.

Good chance to mix it up a bit for me look at fringe players and those graduating from the first team. From a fans point of view, I don't think anyone was under any illusions as to what team was being put out at Leigh.

Anyone concerned about a coach the calibre of Wane at this stage is a clown or a troll, delete as you see fit.

I understand what you are saying, and I used to have an issue at Warrington where our youth would only get in the first team on the back of an injury crisis which would mean that we would have a very weak team out and some of these lads would be on a hiding to nothing. I personally prefer seeing them play alongside some of the class players where they can learn a lot.

As for your last comment, I don't think that's fair - he is open to question just like any coach - I certainly don't agree with the OP, but he does have traits that I don't impress me (but maybe that is par for the course with a Wigan manager :P ).

It's worth pointing out though that his record in 2012 was very similar to Tony Smith's in 2011. It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, I do think he has a tough job on his hands.

#24 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Wane is Wigan through and through and the fans are ALL behind him. It's great to see so many local lads getting a real go ahead of I,ports and that we have ex players involved in Hampson and rads.

#25 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

This is very disappointing news as I understand London had shown an interest.

Could have wrapped up two threads at once as well.

8/10, bravo.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#26 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

As for your last comment, I don't think that's fair - he is open to question just like any coach - I certainly don't agree with the OP, but he does have traits that I don't impress me (but maybe that is par for the course with a Wigan manager :P ).

It's worth pointing out though that his record in 2012 was very similar to Tony Smith's in 2011. It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, I do think he has a tough job on his hands.

As a Wiganer, if the coach of my team is doing things that don't impress fans of other clubs that endears him to me even more! :P

As for 2013, he does have a tough job on his hands, the quality of players leaving has been high, new recruits, perhaps, to my untrained eye not of the same caliber - my expectations for 2013 are realistic as I think are most Wigan fans, I'd happily settle for a pot-less but competitive season with the promotion of some kids to more prominent positions in the first team squad.

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,639 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

8/10, bravo.

You're too generous.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Wigan were millimetres from getting to the GF last season but got beat by a single point by the eventual winners even though they didn't have their best player.Now because Wane wants too try some youngsters in a non competitive game too see if they're good enough his abilities get questioned. Only in RL.

Wigan will do worse than they did last year likely, but if you think that's because of Wane you are clueless.

#29 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Wigan were millimetres from getting to the GF last season but got beat by a single point by the eventual winners even though they didn't have their best player.Now because Wane wants too try some youngsters in a non competitive game too see if they're good enough his abilities get questioned. Only in RL.

Wigan will do worse than they did last year likely, but if you think that's because of Wane you are clueless.

As coach he made the ridiculous decision to give a very young and inexperienced boy his debut in a high pressure game against a team noted for playing their best in knock out matches. He could have played Gelling or Thornley on the wing thus giving Wigan a physical presence on the wing and freeing Richards up to play full back, that decision cost you the game.

It's not his decision to play youngsters that's under scrutiny here, it's his very public lambasting of them while taking no responsibility himself.

I think Wigan will slip somewhat this year and I think Wane will be partially to blame, if you don't think he should carry any of the responsibility then it's you that's clueless.

#30 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

As coach he made the ridiculous decision to give a very young and inexperienced boy his debut in a high pressure game against a team noted for playing their best in knock out matches.

It wasn't Murphy's debut.

#31 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

As coach he made the ridiculous decision to give a very young and inexperienced boy his debut in a high pressure game against a team noted for playing their best in knock out matches. He could have played Gelling or Thornley on the wing thus giving Wigan a physical presence on the wing and freeing Richards up to play full back, that decision cost you the game.

It's not his decision to play youngsters that's under scrutiny here, it's his very public lambasting of them while taking no responsibility himself.

I think Wigan will slip somewhat this year and I think Wane will be partially to blame, if you don't think he should carry any of the responsibility then it's you that's clueless.

I didn't cost me the game as I'm not a Wigan fan. It wasn't Murphys debut either and the lad made a couple of mistakes in a semi final against Leeds, doesn't that sound similar to someone else?

We'll see in a few years if these youngsters he's 'lambasting' turn into good players or if Wane has ruined their development. I'd put my money on them turning into good players.

How will it be Wanes fault if they do worse? If you take 2 of any clubs top 3 most influential players they're obviously going to do worse, especially players of the calibre of Finch and Leuleuai who are the best half back partnership in the league by some distance. Then remove a dream team centre and an experienced prop out of the side and they're obviously going to do worse, there isn't much a coach can do about that.

#32 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

He had to take a weaker squad into last season as well, and adapted better than certainly I envisaged. He has worked alongside a lot of the younger players at the club for a long time - in terms of bringing younger players through and developing them he has a lot of runs on the board.
I happen to think our best hope of success is again the LLS, given that we have a lot of quality. While we are not as good as Leeds or Wire at their best, our worst is better than theirs imo. That would do for me.

#33 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I havnt called for him to be sacked, you made that bit up!

I'm asking questions about his ability based on his poor decision making and inability to accept any responsibility for F Ups

which SL coach won the most games last season?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

While we are not as good as Leeds or Wire at their best, our worst is better than theirs imo. That would do for me.

That's funny, because each time we played you last season I read Wigan fans saying that Wigan had played at their worst. And we know what the results were in those games.

All the best for 2013, EW. ;)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,394 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

which SL coach won the most games last season?

Tony Smith - one more in SL and two more in the CC.

Still, Wane more than surpassed my expectations last season: Wigan roared for much of last season. His style is certainly a bit different to the cool Aussie persona we have got used to across the league, but he had the respect of his players and they were a tough outfit. He'll have a plan for this season which I suspect will be focused on them being at their best in 2014, but they have enough to hurt anybody and will be in the top 4 mix. Once you're there, we know things can happen.

#36 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

That's funny, because each time we played you last season I read Wigan fans saying that Wigan had played at their worst. And we know what the results were in those games.

All the best for 2013, EW. ;)

I thought we played really well at the DW, certainly well enough to beat pretty much everyone else.
I don't think we played as badly as Wire against London, though that may be my pie tinted spectacles.
All the best Mark. I'll be happy with Wigan bottom of the league, if the World Cup is a success.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users