RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Waterhouse lands $50m NRL deal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

LEVIATHAN bookmaker Tom Waterhouse has blown his competitors out of the water to become the new gambling partner of the NRL in a deal worth close to $50 million.

Fairfax Media understands Waterhouse paid many times the existing partnership deal held by TAB Sportsbet, such was his desire to partner with rugby league. He is expected to make a similar play for the partnership rights to the AFL when they fall due in two years. They are also held by TAB Sportsbet.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2I2CM2fmt

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,148 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

That's one hell of a deal!
Posted Image

#3 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Was I alone in thinking that, good though he may be, that seemed a lot for Trent?

#4 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Was I alone in thinking that, good though he may be, that seemed a lot for Trent?

No

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Disgraceful deal the NRL shouldn't associate anything to do with gambling due to moral issues no matter how greatly it benefits them...

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Disgraceful deal the NRL shouldn't associate anything to do with gambling due to moral issues no matter how greatly it benefits them...

The massive money injection from the TV deal was an opportunity for Rugby League in Australia to be able to afford to distance itself from the world of gambling. It's a lot more endemic there, though.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,162 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Eating only healthy food, cutting out gambling, alcohol and sex does not make you live longer...it just seems longer. Not convinced there ar moral issues. Yes, gambling addiction can ruin lives. yes, alcoholism can ruin lives, yes obesity can ruin lives just as STDs can. But who are we to judge? Try banning sponsorship by car companies: in the UK, 25,000 people a year are killed or seriously injured on our roads. Over 5,000 lives are lost each year to accidents in the home. Where do we draw the line?

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

For 50m I no problem, no problem at all !

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Nope. I was just hoping that was the transfer fee.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users