TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Stephen Jones is very irritating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

#1 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just reading the Sunday Times sport, didn't get chance Sunday, I enjoy reading all the sports reports. However, as I read his report he HAS to have a snipe at RL.

He should be ashamed of what he's written about RL in the past. I complained when he compared RL to the murderous South African policeforce and got an apology form the editor, complained again when he wrote the challenge cup final report - no reply that occassion.

I thought rah rahs like him had all retired ?

#2 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Just reading the Sunday Times sport, didn't get chance Sunday, I enjoy reading all the sports reports. However, as I read his report he HAS to have a snipe at RL.

He should be ashamed of what he's written about RL in the past. I complained when he compared RL to the murderous South African policeforce and got an apology form the editor, complained again when he wrote the challenge cup final report - no reply that occassion.

I thought rah rahs like him had all retired ?

What's the blessed charmer gone and done now?

#3 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

What did he say? Linky?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

What did he say? Linky?

Don't give him any hits.

Edited by Padge, 15 January 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

posted about this man last week somewhere, the new season is upon us, expect more from Jones and his "pups" in the media.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Jones is the last in a long line of Union men who feel it is obligatory to have a go at our sport. At one time you could pick any Union book up in the library, biography or general book about their game and there was always a chapter that dissed League mainly with lies. Jones is mild compared to "Run with the Ball" by Derek Robinson (a former Union ref) he was very scathing about RL. Citing "Another Bloody Sunday" as being typical of what our game was about. I wrote to him to put him right but got a load of abuse in his reply. (this is 28 years ago.) Clem Thomas the Union writer at The Observer for many years had a go at League when Terry Holmes signed for Bradford, describing how magnificently he'd fitted in and how his class stood out in this bararous game. He had John Woods partnering him at half back for Gods sake, he could have made me look good!! The point is that the RFL stood for this sort of thing and never made a stand, one of the reasons for our game's position in this country in realation to Union IMO.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Jones is the last in a long line of Union men who feel it is obligatory to have a go at our sport. At one time you could pick any Union book up in the library, biography or general book about their game and there was always a chapter that dissed League mainly with lies. Jones is mild compared to "Run with the Ball" by Derek Robinson (a former Union ref) he was very scathing about RL. Citing "Another Bloody Sunday" as being typical of what our game was about. I wrote to him to put him right but got a load of abuse in his reply. (this is 28 years ago.) Clem Thomas the Union writer at The Observer for many years had a go at League when Terry Holmes signed for Bradford, describing how magnificently he'd fitted in and how his class stood out in this bararous game. He had John Woods partnering him at half back for Gods sake, he could have made me look good!! The point is that the RFL stood for this sort of thing and never made a stand, one of the reasons for our game's position in this country in realation to Union IMO.

And where exactly would the RFL have got a reply/rebuttal published?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

This weeks offering is a mild by his standards little dig that RL players are no good and that England RU pick a 'token RL player the way South African RU used to pick a token black player' - quite amazing as Eng/wales didn't pick black player themselves until the 1990s. Real issue is that people believe his rubbish and it influences people (often of influence themselves) that RL is in some way bad and helps keep our sport down. You can feel him wanting ex RL players to fail, I remember him trying to find fault with Jason Robinson, quickly moved from that one though. He belongs in the past.

#9 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

And where exactly would the RFL have got a reply/rebuttal published?

The RFL should have taken it up and not just accepted it. How Jones had the cheek to report on the challenge cup final (and vote for the Lance Todd) is beyond me.

We can complain via sportletters@sunday-times.co.uk

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

The RFL should have taken it up and not just accepted it. How Jones had the cheek to report on the challenge cup final (and vote for the Lance Todd) is beyond me.

We can complain via sportletters@sunday-times.co.uk

I suppose they would publish every single letter in full. :rolleyes:

#11 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

I suppose they would publish every single letter in full. :rolleyes:

Quite, I've had 4 or 5 letters published correcting factual mistakes, the last being the pointing out that Saracens were not the first proffessional rugby team to play on an artificial ptich, but as you allude to, they always edit them however short and to the point you keep them.

Never the less every time he is factually wrong I think it should be pointed out to the sports editor, preferably by as many people as possible
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#12 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

The bile will explode come the World Cup, make no mistake, they are probably planning now.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

the likes of jones and stuart barnes make it a crusade to have a pop at TGG, dinosaurs like these should have become extinct years ago with the advent of the "move to professionalism" in kick and clap.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

The bile will explode come the World Cup, make no mistake, they are probably planning now.

Many of us will remember the last RWC held in this country, when Nicky Campbell abused the platform of his Radio 5 show to repeatedly ridicule and denigrate the event. He still has a daily show on that station.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Many of us will remember the last RWC held in this country, when Nicky Campbell abused the platform of his Radio 5 show to repeatedly ridicule and denigrate the event. He still has a daily show on that station.

I think Campbell has mellowed a bit (he did a piece where he did some training at Craven Park that you can still find on YouTube) but I for one haven't forgiven him.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Rest assured that Stephen Jones has no credit among union players or coaches. He is quite rightly considered a joke journalist. He is a journalist in fear of Rugby League thats why he has constant digs at Rugby League. When he stops his digs at Rugby League we will know he is not in fear or us, but in the meantime he is.

Edited by The Future is League, 16 January 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#17 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

This weeks offering is a mild by his standards little dig that RL players are no good and that England RU pick a 'token RL player the way South African RU used to pick a token black player' - quite amazing as Eng/wales didn't pick black player themselves until the 1990s. Real issue is that people believe his rubbish and it influences people (often of influence themselves) that RL is in some way bad and helps keep our sport down. You can feel him wanting ex RL players to fail, I remember him trying to find fault with Jason Robinson, quickly moved from that one though. He belongs in the past.

The first black player who England picked was James Peters back in 1913 in fact. See below Taken from the Barrow Who's Who book published four years ago:

James Peters is, historically, one of the more significant players in this book for the simple fact that he was the first black player to represent England in any sport (Rugby Union). He eventually turned professional and played briefly for Barrow in the closing months of 1913 but the pure statistics above do not give the full picture of a very interesting man and his life. A hundred years after he made his county Rugby Union debut for Devon, the career of this remarkable trailblazer was honoured by the Museum of Rugby at Twickenham. The exhibition, which was originally scheduled to run from 30 July, 2003 until 7 December, 2003, was opened by the then RFU President Robert Horner, who at the time was campaigning for the game to reach out to new communities and become a more inclusive sport. In the event, so successful was the exhibition that it was extended by some months and eventually closed in March 2004. The following information was supplied courtesy of the Museum of Rugby at Twickenham. It was originally used in the form of a press release to launch the James Peters Exhibition in July 2003. I am grateful to Simon Mills (RFU London & South East Press Officer and Jed Smith (Museum of Rugby Curator) for providing it:
England half-back James Peters was the “cleverest half-back in the kingdom bar none” and “a champion athlete” according to newspapers in the opening years of the 20th century. He was also the first black player to be capped at international level. It took another 80 years before Glenn Webbe followed in his footsteps when he appeared for Wales in 1986. The rugby career of Peters is a remarkable one, even when you put some of the obstacles he routinely faced in Edwardian England to one side. He worked as a circus bare-back rider as a boy and was brought up in a south London orphanage before working as a shipyard carpenter and playing in Bristol and Plymouth and for Somerset and Devon. Committee men resigned at Bristol, where a local paper complained he was “keeping a white man out of the side” and the 1906 South African tourists refused to take the field against Devon after Peters was included in the county team. But he became a popular player in Plymouth – then one of the country’s strongest clubs – and went on to win five England caps between 1906 and 1908, despite opposition to his selection. Peters was an athlete from his early years after being born into the circus family of his West Indian father George and English mother Hannah in Salford on August 7, 1879. He trained as a bare-back rider before George Peters died in a lion’s cage. James joined another troupe, only to be abandoned by them at the age of 11 or 12 after breaking an arm. He was then raised at Fegan’s Orphanage in Southwark and at the Little Wanderers home in Greenwich. Snapshots of his teenage life show him captaining the home’s cricket and rugby teams, excelling at athletics (he won the 100 yards, mile, long jump, high jump and walking races in 1894) and training as a printer and then a carpenter before his move to Bristol in 1898. While there he played for Dings and Knowle before more progressive members at Bristol RUFC persuaded him to join them in 1900. He was met with resistance by some officials (who resigned from the club) and the local Bristol Press and Mail. The paper complained about “this pallid blackamoor” who was keeping a white man out of the side and singled him out for criticism during one game, complaining that his “excessive lack of judgement had a detrimental effect on his partner and the result was that Bristolians had the mortification of seeing the worst half-back play the club has seen”. What effect the criticism had is unsure and he made 35 appearances in all for a club that lost only six of 37 games in the 1901/02 season as well as making one appearance for Somerset. By 1902 he had moved to join Plymouth and work in the Royal Naval Dockyard at Devonport. The club was one of the country’s strongest from 1902 to 1908, a golden age for rugby in the far west with Devon winning the County Championship in both 1906 and 1907. Peters appeared in the same Plymouth side as England full-back John Jackett and outstanding forward Frederick Jackson, who was to tour Australia and New Zealand with the anglo-welsh side of 1908. The Plymouth people and press were more sympathetic to their new player. Devon drafted him into their side that beat Gloucester 7-3 in 1903 and he shone in his second game when he “sold a dazzling dummy and slid over for a try”. Reports give the impression of an elusive runner with pace and exceptional passing skills. Between 1903 and 1909 Peters made 26 County Championship appearances for Devon, including two finals. His local papers complained that England had overlooked him on racial grounds, but the selectors sat up and took notice at last when he made his debut for England on March 17, 1906 against Scotland at Inverleith. England won 9-3 and Peters was singled out for praise, even if it was coloured by the attitudes of the day. “For a first international the dusky Plymouth man did many good things, especially with his passing” wrote one reporter, while the Yorkshire Post backed him, saying “his selection is by no means popular on racial grounds, though this should not prevail in sport”. His season finished with a try in the 35-8 win over France at the Parc des Princes but at the end of the year he was not chosen to play South Africa, who had objected to his selection for Devon earlier in the tour. It was reported of the match against Devon that the South Africans “made a scene even though they were told Peters was known to be one of the best and fairest men who ever wore a football boot” and it took the intervention of the South African High Commissioner to persuade the team to take the field at Plymouth. England did restore him to their side for the last two matches of the 1906/07 season for a 17-9 defeat in Ireland and an 8-3 defeat at home against Scotland at Blackheath. His last appearance was a year later at the age of 28 against Wales at Ashton Gate in the only England international ever staged in Bristol. After that his career continued and survived a dockyard accident which saw Peters lose three fingers and receive a benefit game at the club. He recovered well enough to play on but his association with Rugby Union was to end in 1912. In that year the Northern Union (nowadays Rugby League) was attempting to spread its code in the West Country and when several clubs in Devon signed up the Rugby Football Union punished them severely and defended the amateur status of the Union code. The new code was attractive because certain clubs in the South West were desperate for competitive fixtures to fend off the rising popularity of soccer. One club who joined the new organisation was Plymouth and the RFU suspended twenty players and officials ‘sine die’ with the result that the Plymouth club closed down. The Northern Union experiment was short lived and died in 1913 because of financial difficulties, though Peters did play briefly for the Plymouth NUFC team. James then moved north and played on briefly as a professional in the Northern Union, appearing firstly for Barrow (1913) and later St Helens (1914). After that he returned to Plymouth and continued his trade as a carpenter until retirement. He died at the age of 74 in Plymouth on March 26, 1954.

Posted Image

#18 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

To be fair on Barnes he is OK when he talks about RL nowadays (See recent interview with Stevo posted on here and then for some reason taken off:(Stephen Jones does it for a wind up his other pet hate believe it or not is the RFU who get a regular slagging from him in the ST.He was once in the cuban bar in Perpignan a few years ago ,down there to cover an H Cup match at USAP (Pre Dragons) and was quite ###### and i remember certainly liked the girls:)))) I have heard that his son is a St Helens fan.To be fair on the ST they have printed many letters from Michael O,Hare over the years following a silly Jones anti-League comment.CM

It would be much more fair, nonetheless, for his newspaper to have employed just one dedicated rugby league correspondent a mere 118 years since the game was born... a few letters in riposte and the odd match report squashed together in as few words as possible is as worthless as his irregular proclamation of his son's liking for St Helens.

The game deserves an awful lot better than to have its story told by one as partial (I'm trying to be polite) as Stephen Jones.

#19 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

http://www.mirror.co...-league-1537404

Stephen Jones has a dig at rugby league as Kyle Eastmond and Joel Tomkins are selected for England Saxons squad

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#20 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Jones was exposed big time when he declared that rugby league had nothing to offer his beloved union!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users