Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Luke Campbell

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Baffles me why e not turning pro and doing this skating rubbish. Surely he is the hottest ticket in British boxing to come out of the Olympics. Was told yesterday by a relation of his e wants to go to rio 2016 to try and win gold again. Personally I think e is risking his reputation also does anybody no if a british boxer has won gold in consecutive olympics????

#2 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Luke is a good boxer, at a good age to stay as an amateur, earning money on the back of his gold will keep his dream of rio alive.

DOI is great exposure for the lad, It'll improve his people skills and become a more likeable household name.

Good luck to the lad I say.

Not sure if any Brit has won back to back golds - most turn pro after the mega bucks once Olympics are over.

Degale and Harrison examples of gold medalist who then get chewed up and spat out.... Amateur to pro is massive.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Never 'eard of 'im.

(Excellent summing up Mr Jones, btw).

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Never 'eard of 'im.

(Excellent summing up Mr Jones, btw).

Thank you Sir.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thank you Sir.

Get a room! ;)
i think you've also got to ask who else is in his weight division,no good turning pro if you are going to be the bottom of the pile and make little money.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 16 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#6 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Luke is a good boxer, at a good age to stay as an amateur, earning money on the back of his gold will keep his dream of rio alive.

DOI is great exposure for the lad, It'll improve his people skills and become a more likeable household name.

Not sure if any Brit has won back to back golds - most turn pro after the mega bucks once Olympics are over.

Degale and Harrison examples of gold medalist who then get chewed up and spat out.... Amateur to pro is massive.

I agree with everything you said, i just think the next step in his career is surely to have a go in the pro game. They must be promoters out there throwing al kinds of offers at him!!!! O does e believe he wouldn't make it has. Pro, if that's the case then I support what e is doing by cashing in on his Olympic fame good luck Luke

#7 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Harry Mallin 1920-24 Middleweight Gold for GB

http://en.wikipedia....lists_in_boxing
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#8 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Great post cheers

#9 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would also like to point out that the late GREAT Teofilo Stevenson (72/76/80) won 3 consecutive Golds for Cuba, as did Felix Savon (92/96/2000) all at Heavyweight, the same weight as George Foreman & Joe Frazier.

If only the Cubans allowed professional sports, what a meeting Stevenson v Ali would have been. Two of the all time greats in Boxing.

"What is one million Dollars compared to the love of eight million Cubans?" That's why he stayed Amatuer

Edited by Bleep1673, 16 January 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

How lucrative would a pro career at his weight division be? Is he better off doing what he's doing?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I agree with everything you said, i just think the next step in his career is surely to have a go in the pro game. They must be promoters out there throwing al kinds of offers at him!!!! O does e believe he wouldn't make it has. Pro, if that's the case then I support what e is doing by cashing in on his Olympic fame good luck Luke

I agree going pro is a massive draw, Luke will obviously know the big names in his weight category, I'm sure he's had offers, but he's more interested in retaining his Olympic title.... Based on reports of course.

In his weight there isn't many big names that we would know, so where would he have to go to be to earn his money??
Japan or South American looking at the rankings.

Other options are going up or down a weight, which is a danger in itself.

How lucrative would a pro career at his weight division be? Is he better off doing what he's doing?

I think so, DOI is rising his profile and I'm sure he'll be getting offers for adverts, promotions or other tv shows.

At 25 he should go pro, but it's not the bigger draw due to his weight division.

Heavy and middle weight has always drawn amateurs as there's loads of money in the weight category

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Amateur ... facing someone who want to win a boxing contest.

Professional ... boxing someone who wants to rearrange your face.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Professional ... boxing someone who wants to rearrange your face.

...or Audley Harrison. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

E must hate boxing day

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Beats me why Luke's doing this skating rubbish....

He must be daft.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Cheers OF, nice to read.

Good on the local business's

#17 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Surely he is the hottest ticket in British boxing to come out of the Olympics.

Made up he won gold but pro ranks aint for him,he was absolutely shattered after 3 rounds wearing a headguard,if promoters thought he had any chance in the pro game they would have snaffled him up,some amateurs have glittering careers as amateurs but the step up to the pro ranks is a step to far.Luke is a prime candidate.Enjoy you Land Rover Luke

#18 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Made up he won gold but pro ranks aint for him,he was absolutely shattered after 3 rounds wearing a headguard,if promoters thought he had any chance in the pro game they would have snaffled him up,some amateurs have glittering careers as amateurs but the step up to the pro ranks is a step to far.Luke is a prime candidate.Enjoy you Land Rover Luke

Shattered after three rounds I agree, but he only trains for three rounds!!

Going up to pro means sparring, training, muscles conditioning and diet etc is changed, accessed and reviewed as he gets stronger, fitter, wiser and ready to fight 4, 6,8,10 or 12 rounds, it's still gradual, even through the pro ranks!!

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Also, with the state of pro boxing and the funding he gets in the amateur game, it might be more financially expedient to remain in a vest.

He'll also be matched against better opposition in international amateur competition - and therefore learn more - than he might do in the first 18 months as a pro

#20 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Boxing is the only true amateur sport left in the Olympics, many Boxers have proper jobs, most other sports are full time pro's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users