Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Scrum Half ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Who takes the honourOAS the clubs greatest scrum half? I used to like Tony Dean, a real playmaker, but my vote has to go to Graham King for his try scoring exploits. Did he bag 30 in one season or are my rose tinted specs playing tricks.

Anyway here's a walk down memory lane.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#2 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Kingy for me. My hero growing up. Scored 28 in one season. No one backed up better than 'Our Graham'. Great partnerships with Steve Lane and Jed Coates

#3 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Kingy gets my vote aswell , the 2nd game shown was at the bottom of the hill where all the factories are now (left hand side going down the hill), thats where the Colts used to play on Cockburn playing fields , blast from the past

#4 big lad

big lad
  • Coach
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ian 'onion' Pickles ;-)
In Life, In Death, O Lord, abide with me
Have Faith, Have Belief

Posted Image

#5 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Ian 'onion' Pickles ;-)

He loved giving them hospital passes , Rich

#6 big lad

big lad
  • Coach
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Lol, i never passed , rich
In Life, In Death, O Lord, abide with me
Have Faith, Have Belief

Posted Image

#7 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Has to be Graham King for me :)

#8 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Has to be Kingy, at the SLS id have to go with Latham

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#9 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

only one runner , The King, not only did he score some amazing tries, his cover tackling was the best ive seen. We had another scrum half who could have gone onto great things, Tim Lumb but sadly he had off field problems and was lost to the game early.
Posted Image

#10 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Agree with Graham King, can just about remember him playing!!! !!!

King I'm surprised you didn't choose Nicky Dobson or Johan Windley! Was your hero Jermaine Coleman a stand off or a scrum half?!

I've never quite worked out if Latham was the real deal or if he was just a good player in a great team rather than a great player in a great team??

#11 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

mycoe, i well remember seeing jymel coleman in the reserves about 4/5 seasons and saying the kid had a lot of talent, the same lad who had a good season for keighley last year and dewsbury are pinning their hopes on this year.I thought jermaine was similar but lacked pace, for older readers i can go back as far as Jeff Stevenson ( a GB scrum half ) Alan Marchant, Cliff Williams, a very clever french/african Bak Diabira, Allan Agar, and the excellant Tony Dean.Before my time we even had a GB Captain scrum half!! His name was Dickie Williams and i beleive he captained the GB Tourists to Australia in 1952. Beat that !
Posted Image

#12 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

mycoe, i well remember seeing jymel coleman in the reserves about 4/5 seasons and saying the kid had a lot of talent, the same lad who had a good season for keighley last year and dewsbury are pinning their hopes on this year.I thought jermaine was similar but lacked pace, for older readers i can go back as far as Jeff Stevenson ( a GB scrum half ) Alan Marchant, Cliff Williams, a very clever french/african Bak Diabira, Allan Agar, and the excellant Tony Dean.Before my time we even had a GB Captain scrum half!! His name was Dickie Williams and i beleive he captained the GB Tourists to Australia in 1952. Beat that !

Dickie Williams was stand off! Alf Burnell was same era and Gt britain scrum half.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#13 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Slightly off topic but watching the first 30 seconds of that film was like opening my family album with my sister brother cousin his best pal, my uncle and my nana. In our family alone there were at least 15 of us week in week out home and away.

#14 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

From the Hawks website:

Alan Marchant Passes Away

The club is saddened to hear that another member of the 65 Wembley cup final squad had sadly passed away. Alan Marchant passed away on the 2nd Feb at the age of 74. Alan who was a classy scrumhalf joined the Hunslet club from Halifax in September 1964, he went on to make 49 appearances for the Parksiders playing in both the Challenge Cup Final vs Wigan and the Yorkshire Cup final vs Bradford Northern before retiring from the game at the end of 1965.

His funeral will take place on Tuesday 19th Feb, at Pontefract Crematorium at 12 noon. There is an after invitation to the Magnet Hotel on Pontefract Rd, Castleford. Family flowers only.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#15 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Jeez thats bad news, in the last 6 months weve lost Geoff Shelton, Bernard Prior , Fred Ward and now Alan from that wonderful team.Sad times indeed , another Wembley immortal gone r.i.p.
Posted Image

#16 Andreus Gordo

Andreus Gordo
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Sad news indeed, he was a mate of my Dads and used to play for Halifax with him. RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users