Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulls news thread

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#121 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I dunno how commonplace that is. But being able to buy shares seems like a positive step.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#122 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yep impressed with that.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#123 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I can see it now:

Bullsh...ares?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#124 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Another new member to the Bulls boardroom, Bradford beautician Jay Willey. I'll admit I know nothing of her but I'll read and post any forthcoming article with interest.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#125 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

T&A link here

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#126 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Another new member to the Bulls boardroom, Bradford beautician Jay Willey. I'll admit I know nothing of her but I'll read and post any forthcoming article with interest.

Piece in t&a. Makes reasonable noises except shes expecting a return on her money at some point. Wouldnt bank on it...

#127 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Real Ale Special day on Good Friday.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#128 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ah! Managed it! Bulls' prospective new director, picture courtesy Telegraph & Argus.

Posted Image

Edited by Adeybull, 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#129 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Adey, can you copy and paste your post regarding the shares and questions you raised? It was interesting.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#130 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

There seems to be a hell of a lot of stuff going on at Odsal these days. Comedy nights, singers etc
Seems like they are a different type of people than the previous mob.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#131 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Youir wish is to me a command! Here you go.

In reply to a post: "Is anyone else a little concerned by this, or am I just worrying over nothing?
Part of our problems under the old regime was the ridiculous structure of shareholders we ended up with, what's to say it won't go that way again if Omar decides to dilute his control this way? Hopefully it's just me still being paranoid because of what happened last season."
I posted:

A lot would depend on factors like:

- what class of shares would be issued (i.e. same class as OK's shares, or a different class)?
- if the same class, what % of the total equity OK is prepared to surrender?
- if a different class, what rights (especially voting rights), if any, would attach to those shares?
- whether the shares had to be held by individual holders, or whether a Supporters' Trust could acquire shares on behalf of its members?

The answers to the above would give a better indication of whether this would be primarily a fund-raising scheme, or primarily a means of securing more active engagement of the fanbase with the club, or some combination. It surely has to be primarily the former?

The previous company's board (before they were ousted) told us they were looking at doing something similar, but were hamstrung by the other major shareholders having to agree to dilution of their holdings.

On one hand, I guess I'd be a bit disappointed if the shares were something like ""B" ordinary shares with less/no voting rights, or preference shares - which are to all intents and purposes a permanent loan conferring no real rights at all (unlike debentures). In that situation, you'd effectively be making a donation to the club, but you would hope that in exchange you would receive some preferential benefits as a "shareholder". In particular, though, you would look to some form of formalised representation on the board, and ideally through a democratic supporters' trust as happens elsewhere and certainly not through someone appointed by the club.

By the same token, I'd be horrified if the plan was to have a majority of the voting share capital in the hands of a wide range of small shareholders. Unless these had to be represented through a supporters' trust, and unless other safeguards to allow an executive board to function were in place you'd almost certainly get total anarchy. That is the risk you rightly allude to, and it would concern me greatly.

I'd be totally gobsmacked and horrified if the latter was envisaged, to be honest. I'd be not in the least bit surprised if it was more like the former, as that is how I would look to do it in their shoes. In exchange, you would hope for fans' representation on the board or at some other level where fan shareholders felt they had formal representation. What would be key then would be just who would represent the fans, and how democratic their appointment would be?

Presumably the company would remain a private company, as it would presumably seek to restrict the right to transfer your shares? Or those shares would anyway not confer voting rights. That would (I think) avoid the need for having to produce and issue a formal prospectus - which costs a bloody fortune and IMO would not help at all.

a subsequent poster added the following excellent observations, with which I fully concur and I think need including:

The usual reason for issuing shares is to raise cash.

Adey's given a full description of the various options - but one of the keys is how many shares are offered - if say you offer 10% of the company in small bundles of non transferable shares - then it's a good gesture but he would not be transfering any real control of the company.

The past problems arose because you had a half dozen or so shareholders with significant blocks of shares who could not agree amoungst themselves how to run the club.

I just hope we are seeing a good initative at giving an extra incentive for fans, not first signs of another cashflow problem - fingers crossed. It's also a shame that the only properly consituted supporters trust is struggling to find interest in keeping it active - as Adey says shares bought through a supporters trust would bring a more organised voice.

Read in conjunction with today's news, it does seem clear that they are seeking to provide the club with a more substantial capital base - which IMO is the right and necessary course of action.

#132 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Gave up - looks like you can only post loinks not pics!

Only certain kinds of file paths I think. (.jpg being an example)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#133 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Real Ale Special day on Good Friday.

Link to that too.

On Friday 29 March 2013 from 12 noon, there will be 3 hand-pulled real ales on sale from the Saltaire brewery, along with a selection of bottled beers to either drink there or take home. The ales on offer are the Blonde at 4%, the Cascade at 4.8% and the Cream Stout at 4%. As there is only room in the cellar for 6 barrels, when it's gone, it's gone!
Food will be available too in the form of an Asian platter with salad, for £3.50 and on the large screen there will be live SL action from Wigan v St Helens KO 1215.
Following the game, videos of the Bulls Grand Final and World Club Championship wins will also be screened.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#134 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

There seems to be a hell of a lot of stuff going on at Odsal these days. Comedy nights, singers etc

I'm off to the Curry & Quiz night tonight with my bro.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#135 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Only certain kinds of file paths I think. (.jpg being an example)

Muppet here tried to use the "insert link" button, and did not realise there is also an "insert image" button"... :unsure:

#136 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hopefully they are well attended, these are the kind of things which can really help the income streams.

Good stuff.

Edited by Dave T, 07 March 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#137 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Piece in t&a. Makes reasonable noises except shes expecting a return on her money at some point. Wouldnt bank on it...

Exactly my thoughts to be honest. Putting large amouints into a sports club is the action of a fan, not a clued-up investor, imo. Then again, even I wouldn't come to me for financial advice...
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#138 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hopefully they are well attended, these are the kind of things which can really help the income streams.

Good stuff.

A couple of photos knocking around twitter of the set up for a wedding.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#139 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

A couple of photos knocking around twitter of the set up for a wedding.

Damn - I've just booked my venue! :wub:

#140 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Good stuff.

I hope so too. I rarely received emails from the previous bunch unless it was time to renew your ST or something. I will definitely attend something, work permitting. As you say its a good way of (hopefully) generating income.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users