london broncos

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 southernsofty

southernsofty
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

BBC report about Broncos leaving the Stoop.

Have they thought about going to Saracens' new ground?

Here are the advantages:

1. It's near the M1 so good for the majority of fans who will go to any Broncos games, compared with going to SW London
2. It has astro-turf so there will be no issues about ground-sharing and pitch damage
3. It has a capacity of 10,000 so lots of games will have atmosphere (maybe not the one v Catalans)
4. Joel Tomkins will be able to see some rugby league regularly
5. It's a 221 bus ride from my house. (So, ironically, is a trip to the Skolars, in the other direction)

Softy

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Its also an athletics stadium in the Summer, with all the rugby stands taken out...

;)
Posted Image

#3 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Before the Webmaster merges this thread with the other one. I draw your attention to the fact that the plan is for a multi-sport stadium with a maximum of 16 matchdays per year

http://www.copthall-...ugust 2011x.pdf

The whole planning applkication is here - and may sober up those who think its quite easy for the Broncos to pitch tent elsewhere

http://www.copthall-...co.uk/index.htm

It is not an option for London Broncos to move to Copthall.. end of.

Now of course as its Soccer clubs and their fans are the new target area perhaps the Chairman and his CEO will act on the comments made by one individual at the only fan forum last season who suggested Millwall FC because they have "hard men" aplenty.and thus are ideal for RugbyLeague. :rolleyes:

I expect Gus Mackay or perhaps Mike Stevenson when he gets back from Oz, to announce the deal anyday now. ;)

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#4 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I can't remember how long London were based at Barnet Copthall and, while it was not the most salubrious of settings, I do remember seeing a wonderfully vibrant side there on a number of occasions. (Can someone remind me of the wonderful little Kiwi? scrum-half who seemed to be man-of-the-match on a regular basis)? I do remember Abi Ekoku beginning to make an impression before he was signed by Bradford. And it was Tony "Tank" Gordon as coach, wasn't it?

It is salutary to remember that, in those days, Saracens were playing on a public park!

#5 southernsofty

southernsofty
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Stand corrected but does it open the thorny old question about #rl being viable in London?

#6 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

The Den must be under consideration. It's a bit big and the area is pretty grim, but it's located reasonably centrally and Millwall aren't the wealthiest club so I'm sure would appreciate the extra revenue.

#7 southernsofty

southernsofty
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

good idea - wonder if there's any potential fan base? It's still a bit of a pig for away (or any) fans......

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,349 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Reading between the lines of "Saracens have changed their business model", Broncos are being thrown out. They had a good and favourable arrangement for a while there.

They need to be to be closer to the northern motorway links (even if only in perception), they also need to be in partnership with someone who sees a benefit from helping them thrive (far easier said than done).

Edited by Padge, 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Reading between the lines of "Saracens have changed their business model", Broncos are being thrown out. They had a good and favourable arrangement for a while there.

They need to be to be closer to the northern motorway links (even if only in perception), they also need to be in partnership with someone who sees a benefit from helping them thrive (far easier said than done).

I take it you mean Harlequins having changed their business model Padge.
Harlequins may not need the rental monies so much now they are having a bit of success and probably want to develop their ground and the facilities. IIRC it hold fewer than 10,000 people................

I agree about the location for London.

Moving to Millwall!*? :o It's like a rougher version of Dewsbury but with southern accents and it is a bind getting there.

It's a pity Barnet FC's ground isn't a bit bigger....................

Edited by longboard, 16 January 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#10 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

good idea - wonder if there's any potential fan base? It's still a bit of a pig for away (or any) fans......

South Bermondsey overground station is 1 stop away from London Bridge so any away fans travelling by train would be fine.

#11 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I take it you mean Harlequins having changed their business model Padge.
Harlequins may not need the rental monies so much now they are having a bit of success and probably want to develop their ground and the facilities. IIRC it hold fewer than 10,000 people................

I agree about the location for London.

Moving to Millwall!*? :o It's like a rougher version of Dewsbury but with southern accents and it is a bind getting there.

It's a Barnet FC's ground is a bit bigger....................

It is true that it's a very rough area, but all the hard northern league fans surely wouldn't mind that?

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I always wondered what was in the relationship for Quins. Broncos could hardly have been paying much rent given their crowds. It never felt like a stable partnership.

#13 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I've heard Millwall mentioned by a couple of people down here, and I'm pretty certain from what I've heard from others it's a not an option.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#14 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

How about Brentford's new stadium? Great train, road and to an extent tube links with South Ealing.

#15 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Athletics Grand Prix won't be at Crystal Palace much longer, maybe they could get a decent deal there.

Barnet's new ground (poor old Wealdstone) will hold about 5000 which is adequate for current crowds but surely not tickworthy.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#16 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Athletics Grand Prix won't be at Crystal Palace much longer, maybe they could get a decent deal there.

Barnet's new ground (poor old Wealdstone) will hold about 5000 which is adequate for current crowds but surely not tickworthy.

Of course its not tickworthy, the current requirement to enter superleague is to have a stadium capacity of 10000, or is it an avarage attendance of 10000, I don't know. But the broncos are a long way of either.

#17 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Brentford's new Lionel Road stadium won't be ready until 2017. Crystal Palace isn't that easy to get to from West London, and it needs a lot of refurbishment - again I doubt it would be usable until 2017.

The easiest place away from west London for west Londoners to get to is probably Stratford and the Olympic Park.

Wheatsheaf Park, home of Staines Town FC, has a 3,000 capacity. Woking FC has a 6,000 capacity. Maybe they could be upgraded and enlarged?

#18 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Brentford's new Lionel Road stadium won't be ready until 2017. Crystal Palace isn't that easy to get to from West London, and it needs a lot of refurbishment - again I doubt it would be usable until 2017.

If it's good enough for Usain Bolt, I'm sure it's good enough for Widnes Vikings.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#19 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Leyton Orient or Gillingham are pretty much only options, tidy grounds possibly happy to share without bending us over. Im hoping orient.

#20 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Orient is almost 10k and in a reasonable area transport-wise. I'd probably get a season ticket if the Broncos moved there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: london broncos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users