Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos home

london broncos

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I can't remember how long London were based at Barnet Copthall and, while it was not the most salubrious of settings, I do remember seeing a wonderfully vibrant side there on a number of occasions. (Can someone remind me of the wonderful little Kiwi? scrum-half who seemed to be man-of-the-match on a regular basis)? I do remember Abi Ekoku beginning to make an impression before he was signed by Bradford. And it was Tony "Tank" Gordon as coach, wasn't it?

It is salutary to remember that, in those days, Saracens were playing on a public park!

Mark Riley was that scrum-half.
Went to Swinton after Broncos pushed out the Kiwi contingent.

Copthall might be great for coming down from the M1/A1 as per the OP, but it's an awful place to get to by public transport for the home support. 20 minutes + from the Mil Hill East spur of the Northern Line. Parking isn't too good either.
There wasn't

#22 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Mark Riley was that scrum-half.
Went to Swinton after Broncos pushed out the Kiwi contingent.

Copthall might be great for coming down from the M1/A1 as per the OP, but it's an awful place to get to by public transport for the home support. 20 minutes + from the Mil Hill East spur of the Northern Line. Parking isn't too good either.
There wasn't

Thanks for that, Phil. Mark Riley was ace! And yes, it took quite a long time to get there on public transport from my home in Kent - but at least the team played some exciting football.

Do you remember for how long they were there?

#23 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Leyton Orient or Gillingham are pretty much only options, tidy grounds possibly happy to share without bending us over. Im hoping orient.

If this is true, then Orient it is, as most of the current fan base would find the journey to Gillingham out of the question, and building a new fan base up would take years even if we had a winning team.

Orient has good rail road and bus network and we could pick up some extra away support up from that as well. Even moving to Orient will lose us fans but at least we may pick up a few newbies on t6he back of some good marketting although maybe not enough over one season.

#24 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

If this is true, then Orient it is, as most of the current fan base would find the journey to Gillingham out of the question, and building a new fan base up would take years even if we had a winning team.

Orient has good rail road and bus network and we could pick up some extra away support up from that as well. Even moving to Orient will lose us fans but at least we may pick up a few newbies on t6he back of some good marketting although maybe not enough over one season.

The only thing that concerms me about Orient is that its quite a rough area. Not Cas or Wigan rough but London rough (gangs and guns). Better transport links though. I think the board were quite keen on Gills tbh, until they heard fans reactions.

#25 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Rough!? behave you big girls blouse!!.. :D Leyton's fine. its grubby.. but thats about it, certainly no rougher than a lot of other parts of east London.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#26 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Rough!? behave you big girls blouse!!.. :D Leyton's fine. its grubby.. but thats about it, certainly no rougher than a lot of other parts of east London.

You probably think Walthamstow's middle class suburbia.

#27 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

well i guess rough to you isnt rough to me..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#28 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

well i guess rough to you isnt rough to me..

I dont know the area tbh, i read there were gangs and guns though which was enough to scare me in my frilly knickers.

Edited by Tre Cool, 21 January 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#29 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

You probably think Walthamstow's middle class suburbia.

Well according to the Guardian on Saturday it is http://www.guardian....don?INTCMP=SRCH

Seriously, Mike is right; I've lived in Leyton since 1986 and survived :rolleyes: My kids are more wary of going out in the evening in Warrington whenever we visit (but they are Southern softies).

#30 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Still hoping for a game at Victoria Road ( Dag & Redbridge FC) but Im biased :rolleyes:

#31 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Being a MILLWALL fan i often wondered if RL would go down well at the den:) However firstly the club dont need the money (They are american owned) and secondly any move away from west london will be the death note for the club.

Nothing wrong with the stoop it is just the complete lack of marketing that has driven the club to the current state that it is in.

CM

Totally agree, moving from one place to another is not gonna solve anything, and as Canetman has said if the Broncos move to east London super league rugby in London is all but finished, Leyton is not the right catchment area.

#32 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Totally agree, moving from one place to another is not gonna solve anything, and as Canetman has said if the Broncos move to east London super league rugby in London is all but finished, Leyton is not the right catchment area.

Not saying you're wrong but what is that based on ? Season ticket holder residential addresses?

#33 StuffSmith

StuffSmith
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

(Can someone remind me of the wonderful little Kiwi? scrum-half who seemed to be man-of-the-match on a regular basis)?

Mark Riley. Who was shifted out on to the wing by Gary Grienke to make way for Alf Langer's brother. Copthall was indeed a hole (but I thought parking was OK): Hendon FC was much better! The Stoop was one (small) stand and a field with a fence round it back then.

There's no panacea. Without the kind of promotion for the whole sport there was at the start of Super League - I remember pull-out supplements in southern tabloids - London are always going to struggle for crowds regardless of location.

Edited by StuffSmith, 21 January 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#34 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Mark Riley

Yes, thanks. Riley was wonderful and the whole team under Tony "Tank" Gordon played exciting football.

Favourite London player ever? Richie Barnett, with his buccaneering runs from full-back.

Where should London play? Well, after the announcement that an advert previewing the new Super League season is to be shown in two TV regions only, I'm not sure that it matters if they play at all.

#35 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

im with Bulldog_paddy, am intrigued to know why its the wrong catchment area..

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#36 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Barnet Copthall hosted the first Sky transmission outside of the top division when London played Workington Town.
I believe Sky didn't show the game live but an hours highights.
It was a cracking 20- 20 draw with great attacking football from both sides. John Gallagher hit the post with a drop goal to win the game. Apart from that he was anonymous.
About 1479 there with about 1200 from Town.
Mark Johnson scored 44 tries that season for London and Mark Riley 31 tries.

#37 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Agreed. Leyton High Road is pretty grim, but no more than that. And The Birkbeck (not the closest pub to the ground admittedly) is a top drawer pre/post match boozer.

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hendon FC was much better!

Unfortunately, Hendon FC's ground is no more.

Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Favourite London player ever? Richie Barnett, with his buccaneering runs from full-back.

I was a bit of a fan of Leo Dynevor.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

The only thing that concerms me about Orient is that its quite a rough area. Not Cas or Wigan rough but London rough (gangs and guns). Better transport links though. I think the board were quite keen on Gills tbh, until they heard fans reactions.

well if thats a reason not to hold games there then i take it the magic weekend and the grand final will no longer be held in MANCHESTER
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: london broncos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users