Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Broncos home

london broncos

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I was a bit of a fan of Leo Dynevor.

Crikey, that's a blast from the past! Remind me, was he a half-back with erratic performance levels? Or have I got someone else altogether?

#42 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Crikey, that's a blast from the past! Remind me, was he a half-back with erratic performance levels? Or have I got someone else altogether?

That's about it, including the inconsistency. An Aboriginal player who went on to play for Newcastle and Wests.

Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#43 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

That's about it, including the inconsistency. An Aboriginal player who went on to play for Newcastle and Wests.

Posted Image

I remember now! Not as good as Mark Riley...

#44 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

well if thats a reason not to hold games there then i take it the magic weekend and the grand final will no longer be held in MANCHESTER

Maybe, but different when theres tens of thousands of other RL fans knocking about a modern stadium complex though. Im not worried on a personal level, but when trying to attract families it may be an issue being in a rougher end of town thats all.

#45 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Looking at this from a strategic level, if the choice came down to Orient or Gillingham, how important is it that one is in London and one is in Kent?

The Broncos are effectively the games flagship club side in the south of England. Would it matter if they were not in London?

I get the impression that many of the union sides down there have moved out of London (Watford, Wycombe, Reading?)

Gus Mackay talks about London being a difficult market to compete in for sport, so might the Broncos be better off in a place like Kent, enough people but perhaps with less top level sporting competition?

#46 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

If the Broncos leave the stoop it will be the death note for the club,the poor crowds have little to do with no interest in the capital and more to do with a total lack of marketing and know how.There is a market there but no-one seems to bother about tapping into it.CM

Why would it be the death note?

Gus Mackay seems to indicate that the Quins aren't that keen to have the Broncos there after this season. The "business model has changed for Quins" etc. So it may be that staying put is not an option.

#47 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Why don't Broncos just up sticks to somewhere like Milton Keynes?

There is a great stadium, people are generally into their rugby in that part of the world, it's a growing town. Good transport links and the place already has a link with the current MOS, Sam Tomkins being born there. Oh and I understand the current Wigan chairman lives in the area.

People were scoffing at the thought of London Welsh RU relocating to Oxford. Well their crowds may not yet be into 5 figures but I have read that they plan to settle in Oxfordshire and are even looking at putting in a joint bid with the Wigan chairman to buy the Kassam stadium.

#48 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Should have a word with Boris, get him down to game, leave him with some of the cheerleaders - that should get things rolling !

#49 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Why don't Broncos just up sticks to somewhere like Milton Keynes?

There is a great stadium, people are generally into their rugby in that part of the world, it's a growing town. Good transport links and the place already has a link with the current MOS, Sam Tomkins being born there. Oh and I understand the current Wigan chairman lives in the area.

People were scoffing at the thought of London Welsh RU relocating to Oxford. Well their crowds may not yet be into 5 figures but I have read that they plan to settle in Oxfordshire and are even looking at putting in a joint bid with the Wigan chairman to buy the Kassam stadium.

The council and local media would back them to the hilt in MK, would get a great stadium and no doubt a great deal. Wont happen though, the existing fanbase wont follow and i think the DH sees it as too far from London (despite being 30 mins by train from Euston). Shame really, great transport links and on the M1 so good for the northerners.

Northampton RU play games in MK and draw great crowds, i believe Saracens also brought a home game to MK against Northampton.

#50 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

It will be the death note Leyton Orient is not the answer, Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.The market is in West London however the club are clueless i suggest you go to RL fans and look at some of the excellent suggestions made by a couple of fans as to marketing ideas for the club.CM

Shut up you muppet.

#51 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Woo Hoo.. I have my Broncos Season ticket complete with:
  • Last years free pen..
  • Last years small badge
  • A plastic wallet with ideterminate use
  • Mini fixture list
  • and a different car sticker - Perhaps this time it will stick to the back oif my Ford KA...
That's enough positivity for this post. The thing that should concern those with the interests of Rugby League in the Capital at heart is my season ticket book number which is 503 places higher than last year. The letter with my ST booklet gave my Book number (separate from my ST number) as a figure under 200. Considering I did not renew until October last year and the renewal deadline has been extended at the cheaper price right up to the start of the season you do not have to be Sherlock to work out season ticket sales are not going well.

I wonder when the 2 for 1 cheap / free ticket offers are coming out ?

Its a sign of the febrile atmosphere surrounding the club when I add a mischevious paragraph about a move to Millwall based on an out of left field comment from a last of the summer wine lookalike at our only fan forum last year. Everyone takes it as gospel. Maybe it is as we are posting about the London Broncos here but for the record David Hughes response to this was was "No I am a Charlton fan". For those not versed in minor soccer rivalries the two SE london clubs fans do not get on.

Back to League, you have to wonder about the club's determination to muddy thev waters.

We have the Warrington win last year - a banquet for the starving, competely overshadowed by David Hughes using Mike Stevenson as Agent Provocateur on SKY to announce the club will definately move to Gillingham / Orient. Undermining his own CE in the process and overshadowing what occurred on the field.

Then following the reaction to this, before a ball is kicked or pass thrown, we get Ian Ramsdale's latest scoop in Forty-20 in which Gus basically writes off the season off the field at the Stoop. Great marketing - Come watch us in West London cos next year we will be in East London. Again northerners, this is like Doctor Koukash moving Salford from Barton to Belle Vue. It is having an effect allright, my Season Ticket number proves it..

Fans seem to be very uncritical towards David Hughes heaping criticism on Gus Mackay. But David signs off everything at the club from the move down to Rob Powell's tenure as coach. For sure, the man's heart is in the right place and he has indeed spent an eye watering amount of money on the club. But as consumers who buy the product, we are right to complain about the shoddy goods that have been on offer these past few years. To imply that somehow our chairman and benefactor has not approved the statements of his CE is like saying Comrade Kim Jong-Un knows nothing about what goes on in North Korea.

The sad thing is there is a lor on the field to feel chipper about as a Broncos fan as with Tony Rea you are assured a certain level of performance even though Sniffer can only take the club so far. I did not go to the HAC for the Skolars friendly for the frst time in years, come 3.00pm that day I thought I would have pangs of regret but I felt curiously indifferent towards the whole thing. It seems that many others now feel the same too....

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#52 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

It will be the death note Leyton Orient is not the answer, Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.The market is in West London however the club are clueless i suggest you go to RL fans and look at some of the excellent suggestions made by a couple of fans as to marketing ideas for the club.CM

The market is certainly not in the area around the Stoop though. Its union through and through and is now utterly saturated. Its also tricky to get toin general. Better to go where you might get at least a LOCAL fanbase.

#53 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

The market is certainly not in the area around the Stoop though. Its union through and through and is now utterly saturated. Its also tricky to get toin general. Better to go where you might get at least a LOCAL fanbase.

Its not tricky to get to in any way. Its 20 mins from Waterloo. Our fanbase is from all over the place though so being in Orient wont cause any damage imo.

#54 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.

Perhaps you have been away from the UK a bit too long. We choose not to categorise people in such a way these days.

See you at the GB.
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#55 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

You have 24 hours to take this comment off the board:)

Says the 'man' who just labelled the people of Gillingham 'retards'.

#56 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

The council and local media would back them to the hilt in MK, would get a great stadium and no doubt a great deal. Wont happen though, the existing fanbase wont follow and i think the DH sees it as too far from London (despite being 30 mins by train from Euston). Shame really, great transport links and on the M1 so good for the northerners.

Northampton RU play games in MK and draw great crowds, i believe Saracens also brought a home game to MK against Northampton.

Is that a 30 mins train journey from Euston to MK station or 30 mins from Euston to the ground? Twickenham may be 20ish mins from Waterloo but the Stoop is another 10-15mins walk on top. How far is the ground from MK station?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#57 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Is that a 30 mins train journey from Euston to MK station or 30 mins from Euston to the ground? Twickenham may be 20ish mins from Waterloo but the Stoop is another 10-15mins walk on top. How far is the ground from MK station?

Anither 2.5 miles ish so would be a bus or taxi ride. Not gonna happen though.

#58 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

I think Milton Keynes is a decent shout, not too far away from london and a decent catchment area.

#59 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Canetman to solve the Palestinian question next.

#60 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I suppose you also have to consider that the boundaries of london are growing all the time, due to transport links, urban sprawl etc. Alot of londoners have moved out to places like Oxford, Reading, Kent, Milton Keynes, Essex and commute into work from these areas. So it would be worth considering a move to one of these places. What is key and has been highlighted in the Salford case is that the Broncos need to move somewhere which has the potential for them to develop revenue streams and build links with commercial partners. Not just to become tenants, if your a tenant should the landlord change its business model as has been the case with Quins it can leave you in a sticky scenario, perhaps there is an argument that we should follow Salfords lead and proactively look for a new invester owner to facilitate such a stance or strategy?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: london broncos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users