Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

We Haaaaate Rhinos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Oh balls

Quite a few more players don't seem to be fans of the new Rhino rugby balls either.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Is this ball going to be used in the world cup?

If it was I bet it would be quickly changed if/when the aussies whinged.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is this ball going to be used in the world cup?

If it was I bet it would be quickly changed if/when the aussies whinged.

Steeden ball for the World Cup.
It seems that the RFL don't let the players trial the ball until a deal has been done with the supplier,which is very odd,you would think player input would be important.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 17 January 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#4 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

oh great that's going to disadvanatge us further in the world cup then.

Not that the Aussies need any help that is.

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Steeden ball for the World Cup.
It seems that the RFL don't let the players trial the ball until a deal has been done with the supplier,which is very odd,you would think player input would be important.

Given its them who play with it, you'd think it should be vital that they are consulted. Unfortunately a ball is not just a ball and can really affect the quality of play.

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Given its them who play with it, you'd think it should be vital that they are consulted. Unfortunately a ball is not just a ball and can really affect the quality of play.

As the players are now finding out.

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

oh great that's going to disadvanatge us further in the world cup then.

Not that the Aussies need any help that is.

Surely it would help us?

Once England players get used to how much of a grip they need to have on the Rhino balls, they'll never drop a Steeden ball in the RLWC
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Its a bad work man that blames his tools.

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Players from every club are saying the ball isn't fit for use.

#10 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

that saying assumes the quality of the tools doesn't effect the quality of the product. In some instances that probably is true, but for a spectator sport anything that could harm the quality of the product should be addressed by something more than a sound bite from days gone by.

#11 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Has it got a different grip to the ones they use in Rugby Union? As surely it should be the same as the Celtic League ball other than the shape?
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#12 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone know what Greg Eden is whiny about as surely they must have exactly the same grip as the tried and tested Rugby Union balls? Is he just making excuses early? :huh:
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Does anyone know what Greg Eden is whiny about as surely they must have exactly the same grip as the tried and tested Rugby Union balls? Is he just making excuses early? :huh:

It's not just Eden being "whiny",quite a few players have complained about the ball.

#14 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

A poor decision made by blokes who never played the game.

I understand the need for commercial partners but to force elite athletes to use inferior equipment, especially something as VITAL as the ball, so that you can secure a few quid is absolutely moronic.

#15 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's not just Eden being "whiny",quite a few players have complained about the ball.

Like whom? How comes the Celtic League RU players have no problem with Think balls?...

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Like whom? How comes the Celtic League RU players have no problem with Think balls?...

Leon Price for one,quite a few of the Leigh and Wigan players after the recent friendly,similarly Cas and Hull players after their recent game.Maybe RL players are more particular about the ball they use,after all,it's all about handling.

#17 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

if you want to know why rhino got the deal, just check out the directors

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Coming to a knock-on-athon near you...
Posted Image

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

you'd think it would be pretty easy to replicate a ball like the Steedan's.. Which if i remember rightly we'll be using in the World cup, and not the rhino balls.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

if you want to know why rhino got the deal, just check out the directors

Who are the directors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users