Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17 quid to get in at Featherstone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Even people on these Rugby League Forums, strangely enough cannot ditch football.

So as I said Griff, sadly Sheffield = Football only.

Fair points - but it's no worse than virtually anywhere else. I can go into Cas Vegas or Fev-erley Hills and see signs outside pubs advertising soccer games being shown on Sky - can't remember seeing one for a Cas $uperleague game or a Fev Championship game - or any other RL games. Walk down the street and I can see plenty of soccer clubs' logos. Soccer's taken over big time - especially since the Premier League started in 1992. We started letting them take the lead over a century ago and we're not going to change that now.

Sheffield a soccer city ? Of course - they have 50000 dullards watching Wednesday and United. We don't need 50000 people to come to us. We'd be by far the best supported team in the Championship with a tenth of that. And is it just those 50000 we're aiming at ? Or the other 500,000+ who live in the area ? I've always said that we need to throw the kitchen sink at getting the crowds up over two or three years. If it works - fine. If it doesn't, just accept our place as a good Championship team. I'm not daft enough to propose us for $uperleague if we can't prove that we can get the crowds to finance it.

Edited by Griff, 26 January 2013 - 08:03 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

It don't help when the Sheffield Star . I think that's your daily paper , which don't give you any coverage in the local evening paper, as I remember reading it not so long ago when I used to go out with a girl from Sheffield , and used to read the small column of Sheff Eagles in it, inside back page if I remember.

Pick up any national newspaper today, count the pages of soccer and the pages of other sport and you'll find the Star's no different.

#23 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Fair points - but it's no worse than virtually anywhere else. I can go into Cas Vegas or Fev-erley Hills and see signs outside pubs advertising soccer games being shown on Sky - can't remember seeing one for a Cas $uperleague game or a Fev Championship game - or any other RL games. Walk down the street and I can see plenty of soccer clubs' logos. Soccer's taken over big time - especially since the Premier League started in 1992. We started letting them take the lead over a century ago and we're not going to change that now.

Sheffield a soccer city ? Of course - they have 50000 dullards watching Wednesday and United. We don't need 50000 people to come to us. We'd be by far the best supported team in the Championship with a tenth of that. And is it just those 50000 we're aiming at ? Or the other 500,000+ who live in the area ? I've always said that we need to throw the kitchen sink at getting the crowds up over two or three years. If it works - fine. If it doesn't, just accept our place as a good Championship team. I'm not daft enough to propose us for $uperleague if we can't prove that we can get the crowds to finance it.

Fev had a poster in Wakefield, on the road leading from Normanton, Fev for the Hunslet friendly.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Fev had a poster in Wakefield, on the road leading from Normanton, Fev for the Hunslet friendly.

Yeah - Fev put it there. Some local pub unconnected with the club, didn't.

#25 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Good post Griff, can't and don't want to argue after reading this. Good luck for the future or RL in Sheffield.

#26 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Now edited, should have said, good luck for the future of RL in Sheffield. ( sorry for the mistake of or )

#27 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Looks like there could be a potential outrage at featherstone again. Saw this on the Barrow Forum

Hi All,

We have a Groupon offer for our games against yourselves (Dewsbury, Barrow and Whitehaven) this season, One ticket for £5, two for £8 or a family of 4 (2 adults 2 under 16s) for £10.

Obviously the offer is to try and get new people down to the game and not our own fans taking up the offer but I thought I’d make you all aware so you can to let you fans know as well.

Offer runs out at Midnight tonight and the link is:

http://www.groupon.c...s-RLFC/16710261

Any other questions just ask,

Thanks,

Liam

Liam Claffey BA (Hons) | Marketing Executive
Tel: 0114 261 0326 | www.sheffieldeagles.com

I wonder whether they will now be boycotting Sheffield away, after they decided to promote a few games to get fans in, but did not include featherstone.

#28 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Looks like there could be a potential outrage at featherstone again. Saw this on the Barrow Forum

Hi All,

We have a Groupon offer for our games against yourselves (Dewsbury, Barrow and Whitehaven) this season, One ticket for £5, two for £8 or a family of 4 (2 adults 2 under 16s) for £10.

Obviously the offer is to try and get new people down to the game and not our own fans taking up the offer but I thought I’d make you all aware so you can to let you fans know as well.

Offer runs out at Midnight tonight and the link is:

http://www.groupon.c...s-RLFC/16710261

Any other questions just ask,

Thanks,

Liam

Liam Claffey BA (Hons) | Marketing Executive
Tel: 0114 261 0326 | www.sheffieldeagles.com

I wonder whether they will now be boycotting Sheffield away, after they decided to promote a few games to get fans in, but did not include featherstone.

Great initiative, well done to Sheffield for trying something out of the box! Seems Hunslet again are leading the way :)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Good post Griff, can't and don't want to argue after reading this. Good luck for the future or RL in Sheffield.

Thanks pal.

#30 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

As a Fev fan, I'd have been more upset if you'd have put us in the lower categories.... Not all Fev fans disagree with how you've priced games... I was hoping Fev would adopt something similar.

Cummins Out.

#31 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

As a Fev fan, I'd have been more upset if you'd have put us in the lower categories.... Not all Fev fans disagree with how you've priced games... I was hoping Fev would adopt something similar.

Thanks Matt, Understand there is a lot of Featherstone supporters who back our price structure, just seems there is a majority who seem to object to whatever Hunslet do with their prices each season & bad mouth the club.

All hunslet are trying to do is get more fans in & pick up floating supporters, by reducing the prices for certain games. No different to when other clubs put offers for games, only difference is, Hunslet announce theirs in advance so everyone knows.

#32 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Barrow brought a lot of fans yesterday , which will have been good for the bar takings , but if the price had been £16 in would we have had the same amount traveling down , the thing with this is , you can't please every one.......the way forward for me with the Cat A,B,C games.......

#33 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

When you go to the theatre you pay more for the better seats. You need binoculars at the SLS because you are so far away from the pitch, so I would expect to pay less! Most Rugby League fans prefer to stand behind the sticks, which you can't do at Hunslet. Sadly you can't stand behind the goals at the Railway End at Fev anymore, but you can still sit for free at the top end of the family stand near the try line. But wherever you go, you can always get close to the action. Now that you can't change ends at Fev, Batley is the best match-day experience, especially for those who like to stand and change ends at half-time, and I would be happy to pay extra for that!

#34 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

You will only know if the idea works when you compare it to a game last season. As a Fev fan I say it's your club you do what you like I thinks it's a brave move and I hope it works for you and doesn't cost you at the end of the season time will tell .

#35 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

It's a brave move reducing price? Yes it is.
Hunslet has lost over a 1000 supporters in the last 13 years. We need to be building the fan base back up. Everyone is getting older & if nothing is done about getting more hunslet supporters the club will eventually fold. If it gets a few extra people to come along to the reduced admission price who might not normally pay the full price, then they might get to come to some more games, and who knows they may then in a season or 2 become a season tickets holder.
Hunslet reducing the prices is not about picking on away supporters, we haven't targeted clubs and upped the price for them, we have reduced the price for certain games to entice people to come & support hunslet.
For hunslet to survive in the long term we need to improve on our own fan base, and it appears, we as a club are trying to do something about it.

#36 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

You will only know if the idea works when you compare it to a game last season. As a Fev fan I say it's your club you do what you like I thinks it's a brave move and I hope it works for you and doesn't cost you at the end of the season time will tell .

So it's a brave move to REDUCE prices for 9 games this season yet Fev INCREASING there STANDING Admission by £1 to £17 isn't?

Sheffield are reducing prices for 5 games this season, Fev arnt one of them, so I take it no Fev fans will be visiting the Champions this season?

And to be clear and we've all said numerous times we have decreased prices for certain games to attract more floating support in South Leeds nothing more nothing less.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#37 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

BH fev have increased there admission by £2 not £1 and I don't see how that's a brave move we haven't increased prices for a few years You can say seating price as well as that's free and by increasing it it will generate more money as long as we maintain our crowds. Last week was an excellent turn out and long may it continue so in week one the move hasn't cost us.
Just for the record I am not knocking Hunslets pricing policy I'm saying its your clubs decision i just hope it doesn't cost you financially by reducing it and more people not turning up to make up the reduction that's why I think it's a brave move

I personally hope it does work and good luck to you all and your club for the rest of the season

#38 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

So it's a brave move to REDUCE prices for 9 games this season yet Fev INCREASING there STANDING Admission by £1 to £17 isn't?

It's a bit early to tell. But given the 2832 folk that went through the turnstyles on Sunday, I would suggest the initiative is correct, wouldn't you?
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#39 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

It's a bit early to tell. But given the 2832 folk that went through the turnstyles on Sunday, I would suggest the initiative is correct, wouldn't you?

Couldn't care less, its your club, run it how you want, il be there when we visit.

#40 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

At Fev, it's only £3 or so to watch the reserves.

Now that you've openly shown your true nature i.e. Rhinos Reserves, will you be lowering your prices accordingly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users