Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Is the game in good hands?
Are the people at the top in "Red Hall" the best available?
I looked at the site and its not very impressive.
Nothing that is on that site inspires me that the game is in the best hands possible.

This is the DNA / Values.

The vision of the RFL is:
To be recognised throughout the world as a leading Governing Body of sport.
The mission of the RFL is:
The RFL is committed to managing, developing and promoting Rugby League and providing excellent, high quality services for the whole Rugby League family.
And finally, the four strategic aims of the RFL are:
a) To create the best elite level Rugby League competition(s) in the world
B) To create the best, viable and competitive semi-professional competition possible
c) To maximise the numbers engaged in our sport and the enjoyment derived from participation in Rugby League
d) To be successful internationally on a sustainable basis at all levels

This is the Board of Directors (not sure who is who other than Nigel as they did not bother to state who is in the Photo)

http://www.therfl.co...pg&maxwidth=479
That is the "A Team" in 2013.
God help us.

#2 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

if you judge them on what they do, rather than what they say, then no
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#3 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

The spin seems simplistic twaddle and they look like a team from the 1960's from the photo.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

The spin seems simplistic twaddle and they look like a team from the 1960's from the photo.

Would you rather someone like this run the show?

Posted Image

What exactly is the point of this thread? Or is it just another pointless stick to bash the RFL with?
Posted Image

#5 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

No matter who runs our sport we will have a grudge of some kind against them for decisions they make. But I personally would like a change at the top as IMO these guys have had long enough and IMO they are not delivering the stuff to make our sport better/elite.

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

What exactly is the point of this thread? Or is it just another pointless stick to bash the RFL with?

I am not allowed to ask the question?
The RFL website is poor beyond belief and whoever those people are in that picture are the people taking the game forward then I have concerns about the future,
Maybe no one is allowed to say anything Gav?

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Say what you like, but it gets pretty tiring after reading the same comments over and over again for months on end.

Fair enough when something goes belly up but this thread today appears to have been stated today for no reason whatsoever, other than to just have a good moan.
Posted Image

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

If some feel that their performance is left wanting, and in need of criticism, are you suggesting that we should refrain Gav??
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

If some feel that their performance is left wanting, and in need of criticism, are you suggesting that we should refrain Gav??

See my last post mate. Nothing wrong with justifiable criticism at all. I would encourage it if anything!

At least we (as a sport) don't face the problems the bloke pictured faces. Little victories and all that...
Posted Image

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Say what you like, but it gets pretty tiring after reading the same comments over and over again for months on end.

Fair enough when something goes belly up but this thread today appears to have been stated today for no reason whatsoever, other than to just have a good moan.

Have others posted the picture of the RFL board?
I must have missed it.
I am Australian as you may or not know. I can see this great game becoming like the AFL in 10 years time.
Sadly SOO has been the benchmark for many years.
England has fell away so badly and developed the game in England, Wales and France so poorly that the game is at a crossroads.
If questions are not asked the game in England will wither on the Vine.
I could list many things that have made the game in England what it is today and what it will be in a few years time.
You do not think that those Directors at the RFL have a job to do and turn it around?
I am a simple salesman in a very small industry that turns around $30 million a year, they can do better than they have in my opinion.

#11 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

At least we (as a sport) don't face the problems the bloke pictured faces. Little victories and all that...

A lot of that can be put down to the media taking little or no interest into how the game is run. Even the trade papers seem to toe the company line.

Edited by a.n Other, 18 January 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#12 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

See my last post mate. Nothing wrong with justifiable criticism at all. I would encourage it if anything!

Gav.
Who cares about him?
We need to worry about us.

#13 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Any governing body are going to have elements of the sport they represent who are critical of them.

For me the RFL do a good job with the resources at there disposal, the annual reports they publish seem, to my untrained eye to show us moving in the right direction year on year.

I think alot of issues with the game, for me, are down to the amount of power that sits with Super League clubs and nothing can change that bar them relinquishing it themselves, which I don't envisage happening any time soon. But for whatever reasons the blame always seems to end up resting with the RFL. Most conversations critisising them to me anyhow, seem to be similar in tone to the "what did the romans do for us".

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Have others posted the picture of the RFL board?
I must have missed it.
I am Australian as you may or not know. I can see this great game becoming like the AFL in 10 years time.
Sadly SOO has been the benchmark for many years.
England has fell away so badly and developed the game in England, Wales and France so poorly that the game is at a crossroads.
If questions are not asked the game in England will wither on the Vine.
I could list many things that have made the game in England what it is today and what it will be in a few years time.
You do not think that those Directors at the RFL have a job to do and turn it around?
I am a simple salesman in a very small industry that turns around $30 million a year, they can do better than they have in my opinion.

In a perverse way, SOO has done a lot of harm for RL as well as good. Don't get me wrong I love SOO and can't wait to watch a series in real life, but the damage it has done to NZ, PNG, and the Pacific Islands is undeniable. You could argue that Australia had a responsibility to develop the game in those nations (like you think England should with Wales & France), not hinder it by cherry picking all their best talent and claiming them as Blues or Maroons.

The Directors at the RFL have a very tough job to do yes. Parts of that job they do well, parts of it could certainly be done much better.

Personally I would love to see Barry Hearn involved somewhere.
Posted Image

#15 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Any governing body are going to have elements of the sport they represent who are critical of them.

For me the RFL do a good job with the resources at there disposal, the annual reports they publish seem, to my untrained eye to show us moving in the right direction year on year.

I think alot of issues with the game, for me, are down to the amount of power that sits with Super League clubs and nothing can change that bar them relinquishing it themselves, which I don't envisage happening any time soon. But for whatever reasons the blame always seems to end up resting with the RFL. Most conversations critisising them to me anyhow, seem to be similar in tone to the "what did the romans do for us".

Spot on.
Posted Image

#16 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

It's always fair to discuss whether the governing body of the game are doing their jobs well, badly or adequately as the custodians of the game we all love. Unfortunately, the way in which this particular question was framed meant this thread was only ever going to be one in which we could beat the RFL with a stick, focused as it was on two entirely random items - the RFL website (important) and a photo of the RFL team (totally irrelevant).

Three weeks ago, the RFL were being called all sorts of names on here (Viking Warrior was a standout culprit) for not lifting a finger to help Salford. Others pointed out that the RFL - and Nigel Wood in particular - had been engaged in all sorts of round-the-clock negotiations to try to secure a deal. I now read on the Salford thread that Mr Koukash's takeover of the club is close to completion. I suspect I won't read heartfelt congratulations for the RFL for the role they undoubtedly played in that process.

They don't sit on a potful of cash - as some suggest - and neither should they. I think it's fair to say that they've struggled to set out a clear vision for the game in this country, and that's something I would like to see. But we should also take into account that the environment we live in is a fraught one and that until the country has money to spend we'll be seeing more crisis management than strategic thinking over the next few years.

There undoubtedly things that encourage me from afar though. We have got some good things in place for the World Cup, including early ticket sales, the bidding process and the engagement with local authorities. Even a 'break-even' World Cup should do its bit for improving the image and visibility of the game, especially if England do what we all hope and get to the final (and win!). The RFL have made a clear move from trying to do everything themselves to getting companies with proven track records to take over aspects of the game's running, from securing media/TV deals to ticketing and marketing.

Not everything has worked. The Stobart deal was a gamble, and one that was always going to be a difficult sale to a fanbase (and club BODs) who were only ever going to measure value in cash terms. I've seen posts by Shrek and others recently that have suggested, tentatively, that it may not have been as bad a deal as seems to have become common belief. Of course, as a reader on here you have to content with Canetman's faux 'in the know' posts which are almost convincing, until the point he is challenged and throws his toys out of the pram.

One trouble is perception. Many people seem to obfuscate the role of the RFL with that of a national government, and consequently the argument follows that the RFL should 'nationalise' any club, stadium or old hotel (!) that happens to run into trouble. They're not resourced like that; the clubs would never allow them to be. But they do have the power to make decisions on behalf of the game. Featherstone, Leigh and Halifax fans may believe they haven't done that correctly, and often those are legitimate concerns. But the renewal of those clubs and their transformation into credible businesses (currently at various stages) does point to some success in the licensing system. The failures of Celtic, Bradford and Salford do, of course, represent some degree of failure. But we've been over these points.

To wrap it up, I think the RFL do a lot with small resources. Pleasing everyone all of the time is a near impossibility in this sort of economic climate, but the clubs are still there and many of them are growing. Let's let the RFL do their job and start worrying about the rugby in 2013. There's some great stuff to come at all levels of the game, from international to Championship 1.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#17 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

The SL clubs shouldn't have a say what so ever in what happens in our sport IMO. The RFL should grow a pair and sort our game out from top to bottom and don't give a rats about what the SL clubs say or any other club for that matter. IMO it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place.

#18 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

In a perverse way, SOO has done a lot of harm for RL as well as good. Don't get me wrong I love SOO and can't wait to watch a series in real life, but the damage it has done to NZ, PNG, and the Pacific Islands is undeniable. You could argue that Australia had a responsibility to develop the game in those nations (like you think England should with Wales & France), not hinder it by cherry picking all their best talent and claiming them as Blues or Maroons.

The Directors at the RFL have a very tough job to do yes. Parts of that job they do well, parts of it could certainly be done much better.

Personally I would love to see Barry Hearn involved somewhere.

But who has been cherry picked by Australia over the last 30 years?
Uate? he moved to Australia as a 15 year old for an education and had never played the game to any level.
Not one overseas developed player has ever been enticed into SOO.
A third of the squad that beat Australia in the last World Cup were born in Australia.
Australia provides more "heritage players" to every World Cup than any other country. It was around 90 players last World Cup.
Dam those Aussies. :)

#19 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

And when the biggest clubs in the game walk away from the RFL?

The RFL do a good job, most of it unseen by posters on this forum who can rarely see past their own clubs - and when there are problems in the game 99% of them are caused not by the RFL but by the clubs themselves

And wasn't the stobart deal for Super League and so nothing to do with the RFL? (Since the aren't the same thing, something that people are very quick to forget)

Could they do better? Almost certainly. Could anyone on this forum do better? Almost certainly not.

#20 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

<SNIP>

Nothing more to add except top post. Very well said.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010