Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RFL

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

The game is about much much more than the the few at the top of the RFL. It Is about the Superleague clubs and owners, Championship clubs and owners, BARLA etc and the game at an Intertional level. Many involved are strong-willed self-made men and women who think their skills are transferable from their own business areas to the running of a whole game - and that may not be true.

We are blessed with people of great commitment, drive and enthusiasm who are used to getting their own way and it must be one hell of a job trying to lead such a bunch, to weld a group of such individuals into a team to drive the game forward. You only have too look on here to see how ###### shirty we can get..and that is just a forum that in the scheme of things has no real influence. Imagine what it must be like when a bunch of club owners, some of them from Yorkshire, with millions of £ on the line get together. For many in the game the concept of marketing and sales is foreign to them and even some of our best people are not always able to translate their ideas into words. So, a tough job to run the RFL. I think they are doing a perry good job. Can they do better? Yes they can...but they need the game as a whole to be behind them..and getting that must be a bit like herding tigers.

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

The interesting thing is that I've heard people involved in other sports rating the RFL very highly. They have a very tough job to do, with limited resources and having to deal with our national media whose attitude ranges from hostile to indifferent.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But a lot of the constant criticism that's aimed at them from fans is based on assumption and entrenched opinion. Or posting a photograph of them, as if that will illustrate their competence or lack thereof.

Edited by Futtocks, 18 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

The SL clubs shouldn't have a say what so ever in what happens in our sport IMO. The RFL should grow a pair and sort our game out from top to bottom and don't give a rats about what the SL clubs say or any other club for that matter. IMO it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place.

I do have to say that I find that a very strange position to take. What evidence do you have for your assertion that "it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place"

If you were to have your way, how do you think the game would look ? What would happen to Warrington, Leeds, Saints , Hull, Wigan say, who account for something like 50% of the game whole fan base?

#24 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

The interesting thing is that I've heard people involved in other sports rating the RFL very highly. They have a very tough job to do, with limited resources and having to deal with our national media whose attitude ranges from hostile to indifferent.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But a lot of the constant criticism that's aimed at them from fans is based on assumption and entrenched opinion. Or posting a photograph of them, as if that will illustrate their competence or lack thereof.

Maybe they should be more open in what they do for the game.
Their website is their advertisement for themselves and it does not cut it.
The Photo I posted?
If they are happy with that Photo on the RFL website it says plenty to me and none of it is good.

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 January 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#25 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Have others posted the picture of the RFL board?
I must have missed it.
I am Australian as you may or not know. I can see this great game becoming like the AFL in 10 years time.
Sadly SOO has been the benchmark for many years.
England has fell away so badly and developed the game in England, Wales and France so poorly that the game is at a crossroads.
If questions are not asked the game in England will wither on the Vine.
I could list many things that have made the game in England what it is today and what it will be in a few years time.
You do not think that those Directors at the RFL have a job to do and turn it around?
I am a simple salesman in a very small industry that turns around $30 million a year, they can do better than they have in my opinion.

You didn't need the third line. The constant winging and moaning spelt it out loud and clear.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#26 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Is the game in good hands?
Are the people at the top in "Red Hall" the best available?
I looked at the site and its not very impressive.
Nothing that is on that site inspires me that the game is in the best hands possible.

This is the DNA / Values.

The vision of the RFL is:
To be recognised throughout the world as a leading Governing Body of sport.
The mission of the RFL is:
The RFL is committed to managing, developing and promoting Rugby League and providing excellent, high quality services for the whole Rugby League family.
And finally, the four strategic aims of the RFL are:
a) To create the best elite level Rugby League competition(s) in the world
B) To create the best, viable and competitive semi-professional competition possible
c) To maximise the numbers engaged in our sport and the enjoyment derived from participation in Rugby League
d) To be successful internationally on a sustainable basis at all levels

This is the Board of Directors (not sure who is who other than Nigel as they did not bother to state who is in the Photo)

http://www.therfl.co...pg&maxwidth=479
That is the "A Team" in 2013.
God help us.

By contrast here is the ARLC and its objects (equally vague I would say)

The primary objects of the Company are to:

(a). be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;

(B) foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;

© liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;

(d) organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;

(e) organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;

(g) liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;

(h) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;

(i) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and
recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons.

#27 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

The SL clubs shouldn't have a say what so ever in what happens in our sport IMO. The RFL should grow a pair and sort our game out from top to bottom and don't give a rats about what the SL clubs say or any other club for that matter. IMO it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place.

Like it or not SL clubs do a great deal for the sport, they should have a significant say in how the professional section of the sport is shaped and run. RFL should oversee that but place greater emphasis on the rep side of the game and grass roots rugby league along with fostering better relationships with BARLA (the latter they seem have no will to do) .

#28 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

By contrast here is the ARLC and its objects (equally vague I would say)

The primary objects of the Company are to:

(a). be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;

( B) foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;

© liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;

(d) organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;

(e) organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;

(g) liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;

(h) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;

(i) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and
recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons.

Here's a photo of them: Posted Image

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#29 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Given what the RFL has achieved in recent years you would have to say they are one of the best sporting governing bodies in in UK.

#30 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I've seen posts by Shrek and others recently that have suggested, tentatively, that it may not have been as bad a deal as seems to have become common belief.

I think your giving me unfair credit for rational posting there, its mistaken identity! But using the Stobart deal as a case in point, I suspect given the sums involved in the alternative it was worth a punt, I was never a fan of the message they choose to deliver on the trucks if I'm honest, but nothing ventured and nothing gained and all that.

How would "growiing a pair" help? Take to much from the Super League clubs and they'll walk away taking there TV deal with them, fragmenting the game further and leaving them with no obligations to go in for P&R or Promotion via licencing. Can only see more problems, as the governing body they are walking a tight rope, I think they get it right more than they get it wrong.

#31 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Cant look at the ARLC photo above without thinking of Anchorman.

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Here's a photo of them: Posted Image

That photograph is appalling. It breaks more or less every rule as to what a corporate photo should look like. Whoever took it wants transporting for life...along with the subjects.

Edited by JohnM, 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#33 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I am Australian as you may or not know. I can see this great game becoming like the AFL in 10 years time.

How is that a bad thing?

Sadly SOO has been the benchmark for many years.

Why sadly SOO has been instrumental in showcasing RL and is a novelty in the those attending the matches are genuinely interested in the result.

England has fell away so badly and developed the game in England, Wales and France so poorly that the game is at a crossroads.

It is not the responsibility of the RFL to develop Wales and France, they have their own national governing bodies. Both France and Wales are in amuch better position than they were 10 years ago. Compare that with what the ARL has done for NZ and PNG. Neither has developed much.

If questions are not asked the game in England will wither on the Vine.

Which questions?

I could list many things that have made the game in England what it is today and what it will be in a few years time.

Okay, go ahead.

You do not think that those Directors at the RFL have a job to do and turn it around?
I am a simple salesman in a very small industry that turns around $30 million a year, they can do better than they have in my opinion.

Turn exactly what around? Arguably everybody can do better. The problem is you have not been specific or even identified the problem areas.

#34 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Doctor Koukash has spoken highly of the RFL in the takeover talks, I assume they were professional and presented a sport a multi millionaire wants to be involved in.

The web site needs a redesign for the new generation of fan though.

#35 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Snip

Bravo JB. A great post.

(I assume that kind of editing of the quoted post, to keep the board cleaner, is OK?)

Edited by MrPosh, 18 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

People called Romans they go the house

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

That's so very true. It was a huge mistake to give the first and subsequent Sky contracts to SL and not to the RFL.

It neutered the RFL financially and left the SL with a huge club to browbeat the RFL with in that they were in sole control of the biggest pot of money coming into the sport.

The SL, of course, do what is best for SL and the rest of the game, Chanpionships, amateurs, internationals, anybody not SL, gets left out of plans for the future.

The RFL are trying to represent the whole game but are hamstrung because SL control the money.

#37 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Bravo JB. A great post.

(I assume that kind of editing of the quoted post, to keep the board cleaner, is OK?)

Post reported to the Mods.

(Thanks MrP)

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#38 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

foxy bleeding bingo????? jesus christ!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#39 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But a lot of the constant criticism that's aimed at them from fans is based on assumption and entrenched opinion. .

I agree 100%. However, there are some decisions made by the RFL that are/have been outrageous and people still retain their jobs!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#40 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

foxy bleeding bingo????? jesus christ!

huh?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users