SALFORD/KOUKASH

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Assuming the deal goes through which seems likely now what effect if any will it have on our club?

#2 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

None.

#3 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

i reckon not a lot apart from the council being reluctant to help swinton with financial backing out of the councils own coffers.

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

i reckon not a lot apart from the council being reluctant to help swinton with financial backing out of the councils own coffers.

So not a lot apart from not giving us some money? Eh?

#5 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

It remains to be seen - all depends on what strategy Dr Koukash puts in place to grow Salford City Reds, how aggressive that is towards Swinton Lions and his degree of success. There is no chance of the Lions competing with his resources, which may become a problem in the event Agecroft is finally delivered and we can think about growing the club rather than just getting by and minimising the overheads. The council stand to have a massive debt written off so that should increase the chances of it giving support I would've thought, but the rest of their economic picture is far less rosy.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

The person backing our plans may be a lot richer than this bloke
You can't possibly know different.

#7 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

The person backing our plans may be a lot richer than this bloke
You can't possibly know different.

If that were true, why is there a need to sell Blue Ribbon fields as a revenue raiser?

#8 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Surely beneficial to us that Koukash buys out Salford City Council or that their shareholding in the stadium is greatly reduced.

#9 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I don't know its true thats exactly my point.

#10 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Well lets face it, the guy looks like Ming the Merciless. We just need a Flash Gordon and we will ruin is life. :D
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Surely beneficial to us that Koukash buys out Salford City Council or that their shareholding in the stadium is greatly reduced.

Good news about rugby league is good news for us.

#12 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

If the deal goes through its likely to transform the nature of the relationship between the City Reds and City Council.

Whilst he had a lot more money than most, a big part of John Wilkinson's motivation for putting the City Reds into bed with the Council was that he needed the Council's resources. This drove him down a path of politicising the City Reds, out of necessity.

Dr Koukash doesn't have that problem and isn't a political operator. His main concern w.r.t. the Council will be that they don't constrain him.

When combined with changes at the top of the Council, this might be the end of the era when Salford City Reds was run as the RL playing arm of the Salford Labour Group. Back to the days of the club being a free enterprise.

Perhaps a throw back to the Brian Snape era, particularly if he can find a winning formula on the field.

The challenge for the Lions will then be to try and compete against a successful top flight side based nearby that has major finance behind it. In the 70's we didn't do a very good job of it.

#13 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Phil the thing that is of interest to me is how this will pan out with Salfords "feeder Team", I shudder at the comments regarding Dr Koukash (Flash Gordon Persona) but recognise the potential foe he may encounter when he "has it Large" at whitebank stadium!

#14 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Phil the thing that is of interest to me is how this will pan out with Salfords "feeder Team", I shudder at the comments regarding Dr Koukash (Flash Gordon Persona) but recognise the potential foe he may encounter when he "has it Large" at whitebank stadium!

Seriously doubt Dr Koukash has given matters Oldham any serious thought as yet.

To make the money he has must require at least a streak of ruthlessness, but he is very highly regarded in racing circles as being one of the best owners to train for.

What he will make of RL's version of politics into the medium term and beyond is anyone's guess.

#15 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

What he will make of RL's version of politics into the medium term and beyond is anyone's guess.

Ah thats too obvious Phil...."closing the stable door long after the funds have bolted!" (or not as the case may be!)

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ah thats too obvious Phil...."closing the stable door long after the funds have bolted!" (or not as the case may be!)

His interest in Salford surely has little to do with the rugby side of things unless he just wants to waste loads of money
Is this man really so rich he can throw money away?

#17 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

If he is using Salford as a tax right off then he may be willing to throw serious cash at it. However, I imagine that his sights are firmly set on the development of the site around the sewage farm. For the site to take off you would imagine that the club will need a modicum of success, so it may well mean he invests in the club before he builds around the stadium.

Posted Image

#18 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Or perhaps Dr Koukash is in it principally for the sport, like David Hughes, Neil Hudgell, Steve O'Connor, Ken Davy, Eamonn McManus, Simon Moran, et al.

Or perhaps he'll prove a flop like Leighton Samuels.

Time will tell. My feeling is that he'll have a major positive impact on the fortunes of the City Reds, but the deal's not even been completed yet.

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I agree Phil,he sounded a genuine guy at the press conference.Someone who had really taken to the sport after watching his local club St Helen's.

#20 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I still dont understand how anybody could support another club! I couldn't pump money into another club! Seems a bit shallow and makes it look like a rich boys toy!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users