TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

SALFORD/KOUKASH

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I still dont understand how anybody could support another club! I couldn't pump money into another club! Seems a bit shallow and makes it look like a rich boys toy!

With David Hughes you've got a good point, his love for RL in London whilst his "home" side has been in dire straits for years is bewildering.

However Marwan Koukash is very different. For a start, he's hardly St Helens born and bred. The Saints are in good hands, doing well with a cracking new ground, definitely not for sale and that looks likely to be the case for the foreseeable. So he isn't going to get a chance to own the Saints any time soon. Understandable that he has looked elsewhere for an opportunity in those circumstances.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#22 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Or perhaps Dr Koukash is in it principally for the sport, like David Hughes, Neil Hudgell, Steve O'Connor, Ken Davy, Eamonn McManus, Simon Moran, et al.

Or perhaps he'll prove a flop like Leighton Samuels.

Time will tell. My feeling is that he'll have a major positive impact on the fortunes of the City Reds, but the deal's not even been completed yet.

Phil - doesn't John Kidd come into this classification - his sole interest must be for the good of Swinton Lions and Rugby League

#23 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Maybe he's just a fan of the game with no allegiance to any particular club.From the press conference it seems he's been looking to buy into a club for some time and as he said when asked "why Salford ?" Answer " they were available"

#24 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Phil - doesn't John Kidd come into this classification - his sole interest must be for the good of Swinton Lions and Rugby League

As the song went, "Fame makes a man take things over....."

Perhaps if we can finally start to see some tangible progress forthcoming at Agecroft, memories of the club very nearly being relocated Darwen, the unjust wiping out of the Trust's shareholding and board position, the nepotism towards his son, might fade a tad.

#25 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

A man no one in rl circles had heard of is now willing to throw millions of pounds down the drain purely for the love of the game...not a chance

He will make no money whatsoever out of rugby league. ..no one ever has

Hes in it entirely for the venue.

#26 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

A man no one in rl circles had heard of is now willing to throw millions of pounds down the drain purely for the love of the game...not a chance

But Mark, you just don't know. I thought that was your point?

#27 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Perhaps if we can finally start to see some tangible progress forthcoming at Agecroft, memories of the club very nearly being relocated Darwen, the unjust wiping out of the Trust's shareholding and board position, the nepotism towards his son, might fade a tad.

David Bowie and Rugby League - what can I say???

#28 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

But respondou just don't know. I thought that was your point?

It was Phil at that point if the discussion. You took a while to respond
To be honest I don't really care what he does at Salford. ..maybe he really does want to throw money away. However youd have thought after naming a hotel after his daughter he would have finished that too and not sold up.

#29 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

for once mark i agree with you, my own opinion is that salford council and peel will be glad if koukash takes over so their debts gets paid, the drawback being planning permission for port salford and around the stadium giving peel and koukash carte blanche to do whatever they want and making themselves a few million in the process. as for agecroft STILL no sign of any tangible progress and yet again silennce from the club, anything they now say on agecroft i take with an extremley large pinch of salt.

#30 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

cudnt agree more phil.

Edited by juliancaine, 21 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

for once mark i agree with you, my own opinion is that salford council and peel will be glad if koukash takes over so their debts gets paid, the drawback being planning permission for port salford and around the stadium giving peel and koukash carte blanche to do whatever they want and making themselves a few million in the process. as for agecroft STILL no sign of any tangible progress and yet again silennce from the club, anything they now say on agecroft i take with an extremley large pinch of salt.

Phil knows im right on this hes just being contrary for fun

#32 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Phil knows im right on this hes just being contrary for fun

Not really, as its feasible he could do both - i.e. put money into Salford City Reds and develop some of the surrounding site.

I suspect Marwan Koukash has taken notes from Eamonn MacManus on the commercial realities of Langtree Park - and is presently telling Salford City Council and Peel Holdings how it should/could be done. In the bidding process he's holding all the aces really.

My guess is a major supermarket will go alongside the Salford City Stadium (its a fair reflection on the level of incompetence shown at Barton so far that they haven't even been able to sell the naming rights despite being next to one of the UK's busiest motorways) possibly with some other retail/hotel/commerce.

Not dissimilar to TESCO next to Langtree Park, TESCO next to the Halliwell Jones stadium (Warrington Council should be congratulated for being the visionaries and setting most of the precedents), Morrisons and the hotel at LSV.

#33 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

http://menmedia.co.u...es-up-rich-list

I bet hes relishing taking advice on business from Eammon Mcmanus.

Edited by mark richardson, 22 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#34 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

http://menmedia.co.u...es-up-rich-list

I bet hes relishing taking advice on business from Eammon Mcmanus.

Perhaps you've highlighted a very significant aspect - given the corporate arrogance it routinely displays, it wouldn't come as the greatest surprise on earth if Peel Holdings has gone about its part of the deal at Barton believing that it always knows best and simply doesn't need to take any advice. Another possibility is that the true focus of Mr Whittaker et al is on other things (profits from the still to be built Port Salford).

More is the pity really, because there can be no doubt at all that when it has come to the business of building a RL stadium Langtree Park is a far more successful example of how it should be done than Salford City Stadium.

#35 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Press conference can be viewed here:

#36 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Press conference can be viewed here:

http://vimeo.com/57645894

Why have you even posted this on the Lions forum it is no relevance to any Swinton fan.
Indeed the good Dr or Ming as I prefer to refer to him may not be the knight in shining armour they hope for.A search of company directoships indicates that a number of his companies have been either dissolved or liquidated.
I'd much prefer talk of the Lions than Salford, you can talk on there forum where you will get people listening.

#37 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Why have you even posted this on the Lions forum it is no relevance to any Swinton fan.
Indeed the good Dr or Ming as I prefer to refer to him may not be the knight in shining armour they hope for.A search of company directoships indicates that a number of his companies have been either dissolved or liquidated.
I'd much prefer talk of the Lions than Salford, you can talk on there forum where you will get people listening.

That's a shame Alan, Dr Koukash only ever has positive things to say about you.

Perhaps you would like to interrogate duffymoon on the reasons why he started a thread on this forum with the title "SALFORD/KOUKASH"? Based on that title I think its fair to conclude the press conference is perfectly "On Topic" and the title gives fair warning what the content is about. For those who aren't interested there is no need to look.

Personally I felt Dr Koukash explained the reasons for wanting to get involved in rugby league, acknowleged the limitations in his own knowlege at this point in time, gave a very erudite appraisal of the problems presently afflicting Salford City Reds and Salford City Stadium, explained a vision of what he hopes to achieve and how he hopes to do it (and yes that clearly involves developing part of the adjoining land for the purpose of raising money to put into Salford City Reds and that is clearly the tricky part of the deal), showed due respect to the still current owner of Salford City Reds and demonstrated he has already recruited people with experience, insight and knowlege to help him.

All in all - a lot of positive signs that he might prove to be a much needed breath of fresh air.

For me it was also telling that he had very positive words for Salford City Council but said nothing specific about Peel Holdings, which probably indicates the nature of negotiations to date.

There are some bits of his vision that I think are a bit questionable - particularly the extent to which Barton can be transformed to become "the right location". But I hope he gets the opportunity to give it a go.

And there will undoubtedly be an impact on Swinton Lions if you wish to acknowledge that or not. It needn't be all negative by any means.

#38 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

P.S. On the subject of Dr Koukash having had some companies wound up, I'd be interested to know how you think that compares with the record of David Jones, long serving Company Secretary of Swinton Lions? In his case we are talking about someone; with a criminal record for fraud; who has served a prison sentence; who is a former bankrupt; who was involved in several companies that were forcibly wound up by authorities on the grounds of public interest, and; who was once banned from acting as a director for 10 years!

Presumably all that lot is nothing to worry about?

Edited by PhillH, 24 January 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#39 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

P.S. On the subject of Dr Koukash having had some companies wound up, I'd be interested to know how you think that compares with the record of David Jones, long serving Company Secretary of Swinton Lions? In his case we are talking about someone; with a criminal record for fraud; who has served a prison sentence; who is a former bankrupt; who was involved in several companies that were forcibly wound up by authorities on the grounds of public interest, and; who was once banned from acting as a director for 10 years!

Presumably all that lot is nothing to worry about?

I agree with you phil about people's "track record" what you have put is very similar to what angry lion? says on comments in the salford evening news website on articles to do with the pinks, your not the same person are you?. As for Dr koukash I thought he came across quite well, if only swinton lions could find somebody similar to take over the lions and put them back in M27 where they belong instead of all the unforfilled promises we periodically get.

#40 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think what Alan is saying (and if he isnt I certainly am) is that it seems a little tiresome that we are ready and willing to see an unknown as a saviour to Salford,despite the evidence to the contrary that he isnt THAT rich and as yet he has nothing whatsoever for Rugby League whilst at the same time being willing participants in the denigration of our own board at every given opportunity...and again today in an unpleasant and vitriolic attack on one of our own officials. It really seems if something bad is worth saying once it is worth saying over and over and over again.

Back on topic I hope "Mr" Koukash(I wouldnt be happy for him to examine my piles so hes no Dr)does produce a successful takeover of the club. Its good for Rugby League that no club goes bust. Good for Rugby League that the funding doesnt come from within. And good for Swinton that a rebalancing of the council books may result in a rebalancing of the councils favours in our direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users