Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

SALFORD/KOUKASH

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I agree with you phil about people's "track record" what you have put is very similar to what angry lion? says on comments in the salford evening news website on articles to do with the pinks, your not the same person are you?. As for Dr koukash I thought he came across quite well, if only swinton lions could find somebody similar to take over the lions and put them back in M27 where they belong instead of all the unforfilled promises we periodically get.

I assume you meant "unfulfilled promises" there Julian. Can you please tell me at any meeting or on any post where a promise has been made and thus remains unfulfilled.
I know I'm getting on a bit now and the grey matter might not be in as good a working order but I can't seem to remember any promises being made.

Yes time schedules have been said and subsequently passed without anything happening, but and correct me if I am wrong,that doesn't constitute a promise.

As for you request to know if indeed I am Angry Lion sadly I like you do not know the identity of this person and let me tell you I wouldn't hide behind a nick name. I air my views and am happy to put my name to them.

Edited by marshy1, 24 January 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#42 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

P.S. On the subject of Dr Koukash having had some companies wound up, I'd be interested to know how you think that compares with the record of David Jones, long serving Company Secretary of Swinton Lions? In his case we are talking about someone; with a criminal record for fraud; who has served a prison sentence; who is a former bankrupt; who was involved in several companies that were forcibly wound up by authorities on the grounds of public interest, and; who was once banned from acting as a director for 10 years!

Presumably all that lot is nothing to worry about?

Whilst you are possibly correct with the points raised concerning Mr Jones's previous history the man did serve his punishment and therefore to suggest, by stating "all that lot is nothing to worry about" could possibly set you on sticky ground there Phil.

I again stand by my post that his( Mings) video is irrelevant for posting on this forum.

#43 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Im at a bit of a loss to why Jonesy should be given a rough ride. the guy is very approachable and a true Swinton fan. hope all your facts are 110% right Phil as im sure that may well cost you a few quid in court if not!
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#44 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

The ironically named but highly respected David Conn of the Independent, and the MEN and Bury Times, all gave extensive coverage of the "exploits" of David Jones (and his business partner Paul Barratt), including all the details listed, when the MANSPORT consortium attempted to take over Bury FC in the wake of Hughie Eaves leaving the Shakers in danger of disappearing from sight.

Hughie Eaves having also owned 90% of the shares in Swinton Lions at one point. That paragon of virtue Malcolm White had the other 10% at that time. Surely people are aware that Hughie Eaves hardly has an honorable track record of financial affairs.

The investigation led to David Conn winning a couple of awards and a standing ovation at Gigg Lane from Bury FC supporters grateful that an alternative way forward was found once the details he uncovered were printed. He is a very prominent commentator on football finance to this day.

All this stuff has been in the public domain for years.

To say the least it is "a bit rich" for a Swinton Lions supporter to now throw aspersions at Dr Marwan Koukash (he's a Doctor of Electrical Engineering and not medicine by the way Mark, and you don't have 100 horses of good ability in training without being in the "very rich" category) when the people running the Lions include someone that has been convicted and served a prison sentence for fraud.

I find it very sad that people still seem to be willingly blind to the standard of person that has been involved in the running of Swinton Lions over the years, as its a big part of the reason why the club has fallen so far from grace and a problem the club still has to face up to if it is ever to properly re-establish itself.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#45 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I just wish phil that swinton lions could find a similar person to Dr koukash to take over and actually build a new ground in m27 not just talk about building one and delivering nothing, im sick of all the false hope we have been given over the years its about time something "concrete" happened not just the usual "the planning permission will go in by" "the ground can be built in" "were in talks with the council" . i could go on and on.

#46 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I just wish phil that swinton lions could find a similar person to Dr koukash to take over and actually build a new ground in m27 not just talk about building one and delivering nothing, im sick of all the false hope we have been given over the years its about time something "concrete" happened not just the usual "the planning permission will go in by" "the ground can be built in" "were in talks with the council" . i could go on and on.

If I won the jackpot on the lottery, Julian, I'd buy Swinton Lions tomorrow. For a fair price of course.

Someone once said that The easiest way to get £100,000 out of a rugby league club is to invest a million and wait until you've lost 90%."

I think it was Martyn Sadler. (?)
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#47 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

The ironically named but highly respected David Conn of the Independent, and the MEN and Bury Times, all gave extensive coverage of the "exploits" of David Jones (and his business partner Paul Barratt), including all the details listed, when the MANSPORT consortium attempted to take over Bury FC in the wake of Hughie Eaves leaving the Shakers in danger of disappearing from sight.

Hughie Eaves having also owned 90% of the shares in Swinton Lions at one point. That paragon of virtue Malcolm White had the other 10% at that time. Surely people are aware that Hughie Eaves hardly has an honorable track record of financial affairs.

The investigation led to David Conn winning a couple of awards and a standing ovation at Gigg Lane from Bury FC supporters grateful that an alternative way forward was found once the details he uncovered were printed. He is a very prominent commentator on football finance to this day.

All this stuff has been in the public domain for years.

To say the least it is "a bit rich" for a Swinton Lions supporter to now throw aspersions at Dr Marwan Koukash (he's a Doctor of Electrical Engineering and not medicine by the way Mark, and you don't have 100 horses of good ability in training without being in the "very rich" category) when the people running the Lions include someone that has been convicted and served a prison sentence for fraud.

I find it very sad that people still seem to be willingly blind to the standard of person that has been involved in the running of Swinton Lions over the years, as its a big part of the reason why the club has fallen so far from grace and a problem the club still has to face up to if it is ever to properly re-establish itself.

Bearing in mind that you originally put the video on and wanted a reaction regarding Koukash you have now gone on to identify and comment about the previous history of Mr Jones, one which you rightly point out has been open knowledge since the incident and of course for which he duly served his punishment.
I threw no aspersions at Koukash and certainly in no way suggested his dissolution and liquidation of companies were anything to do with illegal dealings so why you felt the need to bring Mr Jones in to it I don't know. I only pointed out ( the information being available at Companies House) that a number of companies he had been involved in had for whatever reason been closed down and you may want to question why that may be.

If that prompts you then to link that to Swinton well then that's your choice.

By the way Phil if you want to quote anything I say I have no problem in you naming me (Alan Marshall) as opposed to a "Swinton Lions fan throwing aspertions".

It also seems that I am not the only one to think you were wrong in saying what you have.

#48 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I despair at this forum. This is a nasty little outburst just to prove a point.

Horrible to read.

#49 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I used to enjoy reading this forum.

We always sign the wrong brother.

#50 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

SWINTON are playing rugby tonight gentlemen...just thought i'd throw it out there.

#51 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Get your long johns on gents!
Dr koukash recommends wrapping up warm

#52 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

SWINTON are playing rugby tonight gentlemen...just thought i'd throw it out there.

Playing Rugby tonight? I thought we were playing Leigh.

#53 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't tempt fate...one year and one relegation later and we could be playing any team that the RFL fancies adding to CC1!

I'll amend my previous comment to RL. Either way, I'll be watching the Lions and not talking nonsense about S*lford

#54 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

The history of anything is well worth referring to so mistakes don't get repeated and positive things are utilised again. I don't agree with dragging up names and events which mean nothing today and only promote argument with no possible outcome. We all know what happened and its just that.......history.

We have a great coach, good looking squad, partnership with a super league team of renown and owners who have kept us going when we should possibly have folded years ago.

Time scales and communication are a nightmare in any environment, we don't know what else these people have on the go and is taking up their time so chill and be happy we have a club to support......and a game tonight!

Ian

Please don't make an issue with words such as partnership, I don't care, you know what I mean!

#55 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

The history of anything is well worth referring to so mistakes don't get repeated and positive things are utilised again. I don't agree with dragging up names and events which mean nothing today and only promote argument with no possible outcome. We all know what happened and its just that.......history.

We have a great coach, good looking squad, partnership with a super league team of renown and owners who have kept us going when we should possibly have folded years ago.

Time scales and communication are a nightmare in any environment, we don't know what else these people have on the go and is taking up their time so chill and be happy we have a club to support......and a game tonight!

Ian

Please don't make an issue with words such as partnership, I don't care, you know what I mean!

Excellent Post..well said
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#56 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Ian

Couldn't agree more.

#57 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ian

You aren't always grumpy!
Well said young man
Get on the ferry now you can still make tonight

#58 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Ian

At some point the mindset of "We are glad to still be in existence" needs to be replaced by a mindset of greater confidence and ambition. What is the point of mere survival if there is no drive for growth and greater success?

Are we so lacking in belief that to play in Leigh, train in Padgate, have a team almost 50% filled with Warrington players is as good as the great name of Swinton RLFC can ever now aspire to?

If we believe the club has the potential to be a much greater entity, what are the reasons why we are in this position? How can we fix those issues and secure a brighter future?

Certainly not by labeling everything associated with Salford City Reds as crass, believing Swinton Lions to somehow be "holier than thou". We ain't and certain failings need facing up to.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#59 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

At some point the mindset of "We are glad to still be in existence" needs to be replaced by a mindset of greater confidence and ambition. What is the point of mere survival if there is no drive for growth and greater success?

Are we so lacking in belief that to play in Leigh, train in Padgate, have a team almost 50% filled with Warrington players is as good as the great name of Swinton RLFC can ever now aspire to?

If we believe the club has the potential to be a much greater entity, what are the reasons why we are in this position? How can we fix those issues and secure a brighter future?

Certainly not by labeling everything associated with Salford City Reds as crass, believing Swinton Lions to somehow be "holier than thou". We ain't and certain failings need facing up to.

Whilst being totally entitled to your opiniin phil you also have to take some feedback...youve been not very nice a few times. Give it a rest.

#60 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Mark, don't spread that round it will ruin my street cred lol.
Young? Ha ha aren't "we" just.
I really do wish the ferries were that reliable!

Ah, Phil. If you believe you are the only person with a mindset as you have stated I fear you completely misread and misunderstand the majority of supporters that come on here. We all want the same thing essentially, a strong club, team and community support base in the M27 area.

I am, and others aren't lacking in belief or we would have given up long ago and changed sports or allegiances. I am a realist and appreciate today's economy and the financial restraints imposed. I also appreciate the fact that the history has had an impact and no matter what the belief we haven't got the money and haven't had for many a year so we are where we are.

We can aspire to reach the top and must continue to do so and the club appear to be doing their best with what they have, and circumstance, to get as far as they can. I appreciate this fact and that they are there for me to continue to support and impose, yes impose, on the rest of my family! That's a joke but nearer the truth than I care to talk about......my moods and rants about Swinton over the years must have been equally annoying, frightening and hilarious to watch and listen to.

I personally don't label all things Salford crass, I have good thoughts and bad thoughts about them from great derby days and matches to them not assisting when we had our problems, but as I stated earlier, that's history! I would certainly not see anyone go through what we have and whilst predominantly jealous of what they seem to have achieved it means very little to my feelings about Swinton.

I haven't written that much for a long while and you must have a fair amount of free time to keep writing the copious amounts you do, but hey ho, I just wish you would be a little more thoughtful and a little less picky in your posts.