• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

eh?

you just said the deal was embarrassing, the Kyle thing was late to the argument. If Kyle was your main concern why didn't you mention that straight away? To quote
"super leagues " official" bingo partner....

i am now worried the powers that be are turning our sport into a joke "
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#42 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

let me try and clear up my stance..

had we signed up with mecca bingo,i can see physical,promotional value in that..we could have had physical events,meet and greets at bingo halls,proper face to face promotion of our sport and try and get the people we meet at the bingo to come and watch RL if they don't already..

you ain't gonna get that from someone sat on their ###### playing bingo on a computer screen who are more likely just gonna shut down any "pop up" advertising our sport!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#43 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

had we signed up with mecca bingo,i can see physical,promotional value in that..we could have had physical events,meet and greets at bingo halls,proper face to face promotion of our sport and try and get the people we meet at the bingo to come and watch RL if they don't already..

you ain't gonna get that from someone sat on their ###### playing bingo on a computer screen who are more likely just gonna shut down any "pop up" advertising our sport!!

so your main problem isn't the Kyle factor?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#44 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

you just said the deal was embarrassing, the Kyle thing was late to the argument. If Kyle was your main concern why didn't you mention that straight away? To quote
"super leagues " official" bingo partner....

i am now worried the powers that be are turning our sport into a joke "

sorry i was referring to the fact they are closely linked to jeremy kyle..

im all for getting as many sponsors are possible....as long as they "fit"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#45 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

"it lumps the game in with the 'Jeremy Kyle' type market" What? any more than say having Oldham in SuperLeague? That really would bring Jeremy Kyle into disrepute!

You can be as snide and obtuse as you like, in your usual style, it doesn't bother me one bit. The fact is that Foxy Bingo pay more than £1m per year to sponsor the Jeremy Kyle show. Why do you think that is ? They'd hardly do so if they didn't think that it fitted their demographic target. By implication SL is also something they see as attracting the people they wish to reach.

Like I said, which you chose to ignore, I'm not having a go at the Foxy Bingo deal. It wouldn't bother me if our partners were Greggs, Primark, Poundland and Blue WKD if that's the most lucrative option, or a return to beer and fags companies. But by going for lowbrow sponsors there is a consequence of portraying the sport as something that has an average demographic that buys those products regularly. Again that is absolutely fine so long as you accept that you can forget about blue chip companies. There is an implication that if you target low end sponsors then you are saying your product is low end too otherwise why the association ? Most marketing people will tell you that brand perception is crucial.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#46 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

But by going for lowbrow sponsors there is a consequence of portraying the sport as something that has an average demographic that buys those products regularly. Again that is absolutely fine so long as you accept that you can forget about blue chip companies. There is an implication that if you target low end sponsors then you are saying your product is low end too otherwise why the association ? Most marketing people will tell you that brand perception is crucial.

You assume that they have targetted 'lowbrow' products/companies. Maybe, just maybe, they are the only ones interested?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#47 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,732 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

If we want blue chip sponsors with a higher demographic, the game has to work towards that. You can't just expect them to turn up. Turning down sponsorship at the moment isn't going to make us any closer to that. We need money to build towards it. We have to accept where we are and plan to where we want to go.

Some people want us to go from A to C without going through B. that isn't realistic and they have to get over that.
Posted Image

#48 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

You assume that they have targetted 'lowbrow' products/companies. Maybe, just maybe, they are the only ones interested?

That may well be the case. But if it is then what does that say about the general perception of the sport ? In many ways us targeting them is infinitely preferable to them targeting us.

#49 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Anyone who thinks our sport is in any position to turn its nose up at a sponsorship deal because of its association with something low brow really needs to take a step back and realise how difficult it is to attract sponsors of any kind at the moment. People saying they would be happy being sponsored by cigarette or alcohol companys also must realise if they were allowed to sponsor tv shows then ones like the kyle show would be exactly what they would go for.

#50 RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Surely if it's a better deal financially the RFL would have been stupid to turn it down.

Need all the help and support we can get, don't see any issues.

Hull Kingston Rovers RLFC

The Pride Of East Yorkshire

#51 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

You can be as snide and obtuse as you like, in your usual style, it doesn't bother me one bit. The fact is that Foxy Bingo pay more than £1m per year to sponsor the Jeremy Kyle show. Why do you think that is ? They'd hardly do so if they didn't think that it fitted their demographic target. By implication SL is also something they see as attracting the people they wish to reach.

Like I said, which you chose to ignore, I'm not having a go at the Foxy Bingo deal. It wouldn't bother me if our partners were Greggs, Primark, Poundland and Blue WKD if that's the most lucrative option, or a return to beer and fags companies. But by going for lowbrow sponsors there is a consequence of portraying the sport as something that has an average demographic that buys those products regularly. Again that is absolutely fine so long as you accept that you can forget about blue chip companies. There is an implication that if you target low end sponsors then you are saying your product is low end too otherwise why the association ? Most marketing people will tell you that brand perception is crucial.

Isn't it a question of the sport having that demographic rather than portraying it that way? If the sport wants to attract the better class/higher value sponsors then it has got to break out of a few northern, working class communities.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#52 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Personally I don't really see a difference between an on-line bingo company and a bookmakers such as Bet Fred which the RFL turned down last year. However, you have to consider that beggars can't be choosers. So if Foxy Bingo are willing to give money to the game who can really complain, we're not exactly beating potential investors off with a stick at the moment.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

If we're going to have an official bingo partner I'm struggling to see how we can do other than have a low-brow bingo company on board. There aren't any high brow ones out there.

I do see a difference between this and the bookies being league title sponsor. Just as I'd see a difference between having an official refreshing alcohol beverage and being known as the Tennents Super Super League.

Hopefully there will be a range of 'official partners'. I await the official sushi supplier with interest.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Isn't it a question of the sport having that demographic rather than portraying it that way? If the sport wants to attract the better class/higher value sponsors then it has got to break out of a few northern, working class communities.

Well, not quite. Heinz has a massive factory in Wigan and has had for years. I think our beans are baked there. I wouldn't call Heinz low brow, would you? Here in St Helens while Pilkington is now Japanese owned - alas, alas - and thus shrinking from the town which provided it to the floatglass world, that isn't a low brow company either. It is just a company which has consistently favoured rugby union, bar a couple of seasons of Saints shirt sponsorship once the Japanese had taken over. The higher value companies are largely interested in higher value sports and that is why we don't tend to attract them IMO. While we may have a presence on both the BBC (intermittently) and Sky, we have zero presence in the newspaper columns and precious little in the way of online community or even regular, easily accessed TV promotion. However, I do agree that the higher value companies tend to have their base in the south, where the money is. That is one reason why we need to continue striving to support the Broncos, Skolars and amateur teams in London and around the south generally. (Another reason is simply that it's great to see rugby league played down there) Getting flat cap northerners to see that though is another challenge altogether. Many of them are still stuck in the 1970s at best in terms of their degree of enlightenment (and I say that as a born and bred northerner).

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Genuine quetion - is it just rl fans who are snobby about sponsors?

#56 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Anyone who thinks our sport is in any position to turn its nose up at a sponsorship deal because of its association with something low brow really needs to take a step back and realise how difficult it is to attract sponsors of any kind at the moment. People saying they would be happy being sponsored by cigarette or alcohol companys also must realise if they were allowed to sponsor tv shows then ones like the kyle show would be exactly what they would go for.

You're missing the point. If we are happy to have those low end sponsors then great, lets have a clear strategy and set about exploiting that market as much as we can. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But we seem to be in a halfway house where people still talk about potential blue chips while signing up to deals like this one. You're not going to get both ends of the market.

So, if the Foxy Bingo end is what butters our bread then let's make a conscious decision to exploit it, accept we are perceived as a low value working class product and use that as a strength instead of being ashamed of it. Make it our differentiator if you will.

#57 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Also i must add that obviously the RFL have NO interest in the Catalan Dragons and hopefully soon to be Toulouse franchise with deals like this.

FOXY BINGO cannot be advertised in France and anyway do not exist their.

BRUT is not available in France and anyway i cannot see anyone buying it even if it was.

The soon to be announced ale deal for the CC cannot be advertised in France.

We should be targeting brands that are at least available in both countries

What has happened to brand SL Europe we seem to be heading backwards to brand SL council estate in the north of england.

CM

The French goverment should put more money (If they do) into SLE.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#58 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Also i must add that obviously the RFL have NO interest in the Catalan Dragons and hopefully soon to be Toulouse franchise with deals like this.

FOXY BINGO cannot be advertised in France and anyway do not exist their.

BRUT is not available in France and anyway i cannot see anyone buying it even if it was.

The soon to be announced ale deal for the CC cannot be advertised in France.

We should be targeting brands that are at least available in both countries

What has happened to brand SL Europe we seem to be heading backwards to brand SL council estate in the north of england.

CM

The French clubs cope well enough in Union playing in the Heineken Cup...
Posted Image

#59 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

The potential deals are there with better brands you mark my words

CM

If the above is true - and I have no reason to doubt you - then might you point the RFL in their direction before it is too late? Have you tried to steer the RFL in the direction you insist they should be following? Have your ever offered your services to the RFL - including what appears to be an extensive list of contacts - for proper remuneration?

And if you have not done - and are not going to do any of these things - why not?

#60 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

If the above is true - and I have no reason to doubt you - then might you point the RFL in their direction before it is too late? Have you tried to steer the RFL in the direction you insist they should be following? Have your ever offered your services to the RFL - including what appears to be an extensive list of contacts - for proper remuneration?

And if you have not done - and are not going to do any of these things - why not?

I've always had the impression that he is a former disgruntled employee/insider. But I could be very wrong.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users