Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League just got Foxy

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Why is Brut aimed at morons? Serious question.

I read it as Mormons, which surprised me as I thought they preferred, lynx africa.

#82 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Why is Brut aimed at morons? Serious question.

For those of us of a certain vintage, Brut will always remain the height of sophistication. If it was good enough for a shaggy-permed Kevin Keegan and the late, great "Our 'enry" Cooper - it should be good enough for anyone associated with rugby league.

Leave the somewhat over-rated "Ysatis de Givenchy" to those sports lacking our game's inherent metrosexuality.

#83 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dont we pride ourselves on being an open inclusive sport for anyone to enjoy and get involved with?

The chip on the shoulder probably caused by an inferiority complex is getting bigger.

#84 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think there's a difference between being a snob and being underwhelmed when the RFL sells the sport short.

<snip>

I know that the RFL and SL is not in the same position as the ARL and NRL but this all feeds back to the terrible decision on Stobart deal. A trucking company and now bingo, when they should be approaching say a British supermarket chain or Vauxhall.

You do realise this isn't the title sponsorship? So all the underwhelmingness and stories of how we should be approaching car companies or supermarket chains is based on your ignorance of the deal in place? I don't think Vauxhall would make a very good bingo partner.

In terms of title sponsorship, how do you know these weren't approached? Again it's just based on ignorance and assumption that the RFL know nothing. Some people need to get real. I'm sure the job could be done better, any job could, but with the money we have in the game at the moment (and the lovely support from the "fan"s) it's hard to attract a top administrator. We got extremely lucky with Richard Lewis, and yet he was berated from many corners despite being by far the best administrator of the game in many decades, if not ever.
Posted Image

#85 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

On second thoughts, Hai Karate might be even better than Brut. Anyone remember those adverts?

And how about Cossack as the game's official Hairspray partner? At school, we were always jealous of West Ham and England goalie, Phil Parkes' hair-do...

#86 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Looking forward to the announcement of the Main SL Sponsor.
I hope its Ford, Apple or Microsoft.

Official SL Bingo Sponsor has marketing sorted it seems.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry to pinch another poster punch line but there are too many Knockers about this Sponsors deal.

Edited by AndyCapp, 20 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#87 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think Damart has missed a trick not announcing they're our under crackers partner

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#88 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

god yeah that was depressing. Took the idiots 40 comments before managing to notice its not the title sponsor! Jeez sometimes

I despair sometimes when so called Rugby League fans post things on facebook without reading the full facts first.
Anyway having foxy bingo on board is most welcome by me and others who see the positive in this fo Rugby League and foxy bingo.

#89 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

On topic.

Are there worse snobs than RL fans?

Honestly suddenly Bingo isn't good enough. Bingo is hardly to my tastes as leisure activites good but ffs it is honest money. And the fact that Foxy Bingo sponsors Jeremy Kyle - so what? He has a popular TV programme; I don't mind admitting that I've watched it a few times myself (okay more than a few). I don't know that the people who watch it are necessarily the same people who would appear on it.

It's also the game that allowed some of the clubs here in Cumbria to raise money to fund their own club houses
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#90 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Just seen that man utds official snack sponsor is Mr Potato, surely a club as big as them In a sport as big as theirs should be aiming higher than this. I bet their fans are as we speak bitching and moaning about it on forums.

Mark my words, international brands won't get involved with MUFC if they see Mr Potato are in their portfolio.

I absolutely *love* it when RL fans think of a massive company and say 'why oh why haven't the RFL approached Google/Amazon/Morrisons/Goldman Sachs?' etc etc.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#91 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Goldman Sachs?' etc etc.

They won't do as they've only just got their financial house back in order after all that sleezy bank stuff happened in 2008. And they're a bank, so they are definitely on the 'never allowed near league' ladder.

#92 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

On second thoughts, Hai Karate might be even better than Brut. Anyone remember those adverts?

And how about Cossack as the game's official Hairspray partner? At school, we were always jealous of West Ham and England goalie, Phil Parkes' hair-do...

Now you're talking!! In the 70's a mate of my brothers used to go out with a bottle of Hai Karate in his pocket, topping it up every time they met some women.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#93 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Mark my words, international brands won't get involved with MUFC if they see Mr Potato are in their portfolio.

I absolutely *love* it when RL fans think of a massive company and say 'why oh why haven't the RFL approached Google/Amazon/Morrisons/Goldman Sachs?' etc etc.

Frankly if our main sponsors arent either NASA or the illuminati then we have failed as a sport.

#94 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Frankly if our main sponsors arent either NASA or the illuminati then we have failed as a sport.

As Canetman says, the potential deals are there*.

*Funnily enough, that wasn't his view a week ago when he said the game was going to struggle to get any sponsors because no-one is interested.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#95 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Now you're talking!! In the 70's a mate of my brothers used to go out with a bottle of Hai Karate in his pocket, topping it up every time they met some women.

I wish I'd gone out with you lot...

Did the women look like the one in the adverts?

#96 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I wish I'd gone out with you lot...

Did the women look like the one in the adverts?

I was only a nipper then, I was told it the other day whilst reminiscing with family.

That woman in the ad was well tasty.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#97 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was only a nipper then, I was told it the other day whilst reminiscing with family.

That woman in the ad was well tasty.

Valerie Leon, an old flame of mine - she dumped me to advance her career in Carry On movies...

#98 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I realise this is on the back of Can it man, but I thought it odd last week when the RFL announced XBlades as the boot supplier to the officials, Chris Irvine tweeted somewhat sarcastically regarding the big woop of boots for refs with "what next, sl bingo partner...". A tweet I can no longer find...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#99 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I realise this is on the back of Can it man, but I thought it odd last week when the RFL announced XBlades as the boot supplier to the officials, Chris Irvine tweeted somewhat sarcastically regarding the big woop of boots for refs with "what next, sl bingo partner...". A tweet I can no longer find...

RL journalist of the year. Voted by absolutely no-one, the tool.

#100 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

RL journalist of the year. Voted by absolutely no-one, the tool.

If I could find the tweet I'd quote it, it's only because official bingo partner is a bit random I thought he was having a pop. He might not have been in this case, who knows, anyway, as it's now FACT he can always say he was being sincere.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users