TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

life without tomkins

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm also a huge fan of lee gaskell's(and saints) and can't believe he was frozen out of the team for the 2012 season. In my opinion lance Hohaia was a nothing signing, although he won the world cup with NZ he doesn't strike me as a standout fullback, centre, halfback or hooker where he's played in the past for NZ and the warriors, he's just holding players back to justify st. Helen's signing him(not his fault by the way). As for wheeler he's definitely an enigma, of what little we've seen of him he's got something special but of course injuries and like you say his weight are an issue and how long do you persist?

Can't help think Hohaia was a chairman's vanity signing to mark the new era at Langtree Park. I think a couple of seasons ago Wheeler looked an interesting prospect but his time is rapidly disappearing and I think a season's loan at the club hopefully soon to be run by Eamon's best friend might do him some good.

I think part of Gaskell's problem could be that he is just such a gangly odd shape for an RL player and people overlook his rugby brain saying he is too lightweight. IMO there is no-one else at Saints who can move us around the park quite like Lee (as much as I like Roby, he is some way off being a field marshall in the mould of Cameron Smith) and he deserves to be given the shirt and told to make it his in 2013.

#42 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

What a load of tosh. Tomkins would be quality in the NRL. Its not a league of super-humans you know.

He would be quality but so are their coaches and he would soon be moved from full back so that his strengths can be used and his weaknesses be avoided.

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Can't help think Hohaia was a chairman's vanity signing to mark the new era at Langtree Park. I think a couple of seasons ago Wheeler looked an interesting prospect but his time is rapidly disappearing and I think a season's loan at the club hopefully soon to be run by Eamon's best friend might do him some good.

I think part of Gaskell's problem could be that he is just such a gangly odd shape for an RL player and people overlook his rugby brain saying he is too lightweight. IMO there is no-one else at Saints who can move us around the park quite like Lee (as much as I like Roby, he is some way off being a field marshall in the mould of Cameron Smith) and he deserves to be given the shirt and told to make it his in 2013.

That shouldn't hold him back, did you ever see Brian Bevan?

#44 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

If Tompkins is a bit dodgy at fullback or whereever I think he would take the easier option and go to Union.Anyone with weaknesses wouldn't last five minutes in the NRL.

You think every player in the NRL is without any weakness?
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#45 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

That shouldn't hold him back, did you ever see Brian Bevan?

Just look at the likes of rob burrows, Ben barba, Kevin Locke all small 5'6 or under players or players like David peachey the former cronulla and NSW fullback who was also gangly or phil ford who was nicknamed the "rubber man."

#46 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

He would be quality but so are their coaches and he would soon be moved from full back so that his strengths can be used and his weaknesses be avoided.

Indeed. Or they would work with him in training to eradicate the weaknesses completely.
Posted Image

#47 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Indeed. Or they would work with him in training to eradicate the weaknesses completely.

True, but I must assume that the Wigan coaching staff have tried that but the improvment isn't there. Sometimes, you have to cut your losses.

#48 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Me too, id like to see him play 6 now. His footwork, speed and distribution are his strengths. The more involved he is the better. Hate watching him at FB.

Agreed!

#49 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Who replaces Robinson "without much fuss"? I seem to remember the England wingers immediately after he left being Pryce and Walker, no step down in class there.

As good as Robinson was at Wigan I do not imagine even his greatest fan could claim that at rep level he ever set the world alight, and definitely never when he faced the aussies. Robinson was certainly a good international winger, but that was in the other code, not in our's!

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I've always said tomkins for 6. It needs to happen sooner , rather than it being too late.

Tomkins will make a wonderful fly half!!

#51 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Farrell is #### for trying to lure him over. Wigan have made it far too easy for players to join the Vichies, and then pop back whenever they feel like it. No other club has behaved like this. If you were at Saints and tempted, then the way they made life difficult for Eastmond might at least give you pause for thought. If we had him signed up to stay put for 3 years, we must enforce that contract, otherwise no one will give a second's thought to walking away from the club. We have already "waived" options for overseas players looking to go home.
If he goes, he'll join the list of money grabbing traitors to our game. Of course the club will endure - we have won scores of trophies without him - but we'd better start making plans for life after Charnley and pretty much any other talented back.
Leeds never seem to have these problems - whatever they're doing we should be doing.
Finally, we need him for the World Cup. When Robinson left for the Dark Side, he could have stayed a month longer and played in a World Cup, but instead stood on the wing watching scrums collapse. And gets welcomed back whenever he feels like it...

That's a cracking good post and it is accurate in each detail you cover, I could not agree with your every sentiment any less than wholeheartedly. Well done EW.

#52 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thanks, Paul.
Not sure how this ended up being a joint Gaskell/Tomkins thread, though.

#53 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've always said tomkins for 6. It needs to happen sooner , rather than it being too late.

Tomkins will make a wonderful fly half!!

He'd be better than Owen Farrell on day one.

#54 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, Paul.
Not sure how this ended up being a joint Gaskell/Tomkins thread, though.

My fault for suggesting Lomax could be a prospective replacement at FB for England if only Saints would have the courage to move Wellens elsewhere. And Gaskell came up. Sorry bout that!

#55 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

He'd be better than Owen Farrell on day one.

No he wouldn't.

Tomkins would just confuse the hell out of everybody, and score tries whereas Farrell can kick goals for fun all day long from anywhere on the pitch, which let's not forget seems to be the objective in English RU.

#56 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

No he wouldn't.

Tomkins would just confuse the hell out of everybody, and score tries whereas Farrell can kick goals for fun all day long from anywhere on the pitch, which let's not forget seems to be the objective in English RU.

Oh yes, you are right. I forgot subtelties, nuances, rolling mauls, lineouts and PENALTY goals, the ultimate high.

#57 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Since when has that ever stopped anyone? Anyhow, surely it would be his agent doing the talking to interested parties, not Sam himself? :-)

Doesn't stop interested parties approaching Wigan, with wads of cash.

#58 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

As good as Robinson was at Wigan I do not imagine even his greatest fan could claim that at rep level he ever set the world alight, and definitely never when he faced the aussies. Robinson was certainly a good international winger, but that was in the other code, not in our's!

Not how I remember it. In fact he was labelled by the Aussies as the one Brit they couldn't handle.

#59 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Not how I remember it. In fact he was labelled by the Aussies as the one Brit they couldn't handle.

In a 6 year period he played 19 times for England and GB, in rugby union he played 56 times for England and the lions again over a 6 year period. Therein lies the problem for rugby league, a world class player like Jason Robinson needs to be playing more times for England and GB than 19 times over a 6 year period, along with ellery Hanley and Martin offiah he was the best English player I've ever seen in my 25 years of being a league fan.

#60 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Jason Robinson was a gifted player and much admired by most Aussies, his style was similar to Chicka Fergusons, great to watch.
His Test career was limited partly due to the SL War.

If Tomkins moves on he moves on, its his call.

Edited by AndyCapp, 21 January 2013 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users