Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

life without tomkins

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Question is though who would he play for?

There has been much chatter about him following Madge to Souths, but would Sam really push Inglis out of the starting FB berth? Can't see it myself. Melbourne and the Bulldogs seem to be reasonably well covered at full back, the Knights seem to be in financial meltdown and can't see him moving to NZ. Any ideas which of the other clubs might be in need of a full back for 2014 and have sufficient space on the cap?

I do however think that is wishful thinking. I think there can be no doubt he is leaving SL at the end of this season and were he really moving to the NRL, I would expect for there to have been firmer conjecture about likely destination. I think the whole 'mystery and quiet' surrounding him suggests he is off to RU. I sincerely hope I am proved wrong.

Some options at the NRL would be:

Brisbane-who look weak at 1 and 6 and have loads of money
North Queensland-Bowen is 32 I think and maybe the Cowboys lose Thurston soon as well
Penrith- have likely cash to spend after some offloading and some players coming off contract
Roosters- If $BW is only there for one year and "The Count" soon to retire and the Roosters always have cash to burn
Dragons- Have money and could do with "a top star" player.

#62 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Robinson was found out and teams ended up putting the high ball up and sticking a tall winger/Centre against Robinson. Robinson was good but in the end he was not that effective as teams knew what to do in most cases to make him less effective. His prime time in League was over really where he was so destructive. When he went to Union it was not such a great loss. The problem with any defection from a Brit RL player is often, the strength in depth and Quality is not there to simply replace a good quality player when he leaves for Kick and Slap or retires. Australia can afford to lose the likes of Wendall, Hunt, Folau or the retirements of Lockyer, Johns or Fittler as they seem to have always a quality player ready to come in from thebench like Cronk or the next wonderkid ready to come in.

#63 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

i am sick to the stomach of seeing our best players wander off to union or the nrl, we keep going on about how rich union and the nrl are well if we had ring fenced our best players we would be rich as well.
the RL should take over the ownership of the best 10 players and lease them out to their clubs, and if union or the nrl wants them they should pay through the nose.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#64 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

North Queensland-Bowen is 32 I think and maybe the Cowboys lose Thurston soon as well
Penrith- have likely cash to spend after some offloading and some players coming off contract
Roosters- If $BW is only there for one year and "The Count" soon to retire and the Roosters always have cash to burn

Really?
Broncos.
Josh Hoffman the Broncos Fullback is the current Kiwi Test Fullback.
Peter Wallace and Scott Prince are both either Test or SOO players

Roosters currently have the "Count" as the Captain

Edited by AndyCapp, 21 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#65 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

The production line keeps churning out talent, be interesting to see how this kid goes this season, Wane has an excellent track record with bringing kids through.

#66 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Really?
Broncos.
Josh Hoffman the Broncos Fullback is the current Kiwi Test Fullback.
Peter Wallace and Scott Prince are both either Test or SOO players

Roosters currently have the "Count" as the Captain

Prince is a half-back past his best, Wallace is a humdrum player with all the creative spark of a flat battery and Hoffman is a fine all-rounder...

The Count's place at full-back is under threat from the brilliant Roger T-S.

Tomkins might not be perfect but he is a footballing genius and is far more gifted than many other Englishmen who have found the transition to the NRL not insurmountable.

#67 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

The production line keeps churning out talent, be interesting to see how this kid goes this season, Wane has an excellent track record with bringing kids through.

Another Leyther. Dom has had some bad injuries and missed a lot of game time these past 2 years. Hope he stays injury free, his dad also played for Leigh and the family do some great ice cream.

#68 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I agree that the game will move on, and Wigan will find more players. My issue is a narrower one - have Wigan done enough (anything?) to make life difficult for people looking to break their contracts?
I also agree that Robinson's best rl years were behind him by the time he ditched us.

#69 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Another Leyther. Dom has had some bad injuries and missed a lot of game time these past 2 years. Hope he stays injury free, his dad also played for Leigh and the family do some great ice cream.

We're all just one big happy family in the Borough of Wigan! ;)

I agree that the game will move on, and Wigan will find more players. My issue is a narrower one - have Wigan done enough (anything?) to make life difficult for people looking to break their contracts?
I also agree that Robinson's best rl years were behind him by the time he ditched us.

Given since day one of the last contract despite what the paperwork said it seemed to only be a 3 year committment to Wigan, I'd always presumed the extra time on the contract beyond those 3 years was so Wigan could negotiate some compensation.

Its only breaking the contract if he walks away, I don't think anyone is suggesting that to be on the cards.

#70 twosevenzero

twosevenzero
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

If i was Wane id have sold him and thrown money at Leuluai to stay for the rest of his career. Far too many weaknesses in Sam's full back play.

Tommy left for family reasons, money wasn't an issue.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me".

FIOS

#71 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

With a name like that he could end up playing in the World Cup for italy.

#72 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

He would have to go back past Grandfather

#73 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think Anthony minichiello has that fullback spot nailed down.(a farce by the way)

#74 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

He would have to go back past Grandfather

In that case, he would not qualify for Italy. Thanks for the info.

#75 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

IMO if he's got huge wraps and he's traveling all the way to Australia then he'll want to play for one of the old NSWRFL clubs in Sydney, like Burgess (Souths), Ellis (Wests), Morley (Easts), etc.

The biggest thing RL has in its favour over RU getting him is the Sydney/Australian lifestyle.

#76 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

IMO if he's got huge wraps and he's traveling all the way to Australia then he'll want to play for one of the old NSWRFL clubs in Sydney, like Burgess (Souths), Ellis (Wests), Morley (Easts), etc.

The biggest thing RL has in its favour over RU getting him is the Sydney/Australian lifestyle.

I agree that Sydney is a huge draw, what with the weather, beaches and lifestyle and let's not forget the huge amounts of money sloshing around in the NRL these days. IMO I just think Sam might target the 2015 rugby union world cup in England and then play in the NRL after that.

#77 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

In that case, he would not qualify for Italy. Thanks for the info.

No problem. Four potentially great SL players in Greg Wilde, Ben Currie, Dom Manfredi and Jack Holmes came out of Leigh and District (Leigh and Golborne) in the same age group.

#78 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Farrell is #### for trying to lure him over. Wigan have made it far too easy for players to join the Vichies, and then pop back whenever they feel like it. No other club has behaved like this. If you were at Saints and tempted, then the way they made life difficult for Eastmond might at least give you pause for thought. If we had him signed up to stay put for 3 years, we must enforce that contract, otherwise no one will give a second's thought to walking away from the club. We have already "waived" options for overseas players looking to go home.
If he goes, he'll join the list of money grabbing traitors to our game. Of course the club will endure - we have won scores of trophies without him - but we'd better start making plans for life after Charnley and pretty much any other talented back.
Leeds never seem to have these problems - whatever they're doing we should be doing.
Finally, we need him for the World Cup. When Robinson left for the Dark Side, he could have stayed a month longer and played in a World Cup, but instead stood on the wing watching scrums collapse. And gets welcomed back whenever he feels like it...

'####' and 'vichies'? Here was me thinking that many RL fans wanted a free movement of players between the two codes.
Fides invicta triumphat

#79 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

'####' and 'vichies'? Here was me thinking that many RL fans wanted a free movement of players between the two codes.

This may take this thread to crosscode.The free movement thing to me was a different criteria to what we are discussing now.Free movement came when the RFU were going officially pro and they knew the game was up
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#80 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Robinson was found out and teams ended up putting the high ball up and sticking a tall winger/Centre against Robinson. Robinson was good but in the end he was not that effective as teams knew what to do in most cases to make him less effective. His prime time in League was over really where he was so destructive. When he went to Union it was not such a great loss.

23 tries and in the Dream Team during his last season at Wigan. Perhaps you're remembering the last few matches of that season when for some insane reason Endacott picked him at full back (and in the Grand Final) where he wasn't at his best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users