Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Salford start taking games to Old Trafford or COM stadium after the takeover is complete?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

The potential new owner has said in layman's terms that he'd like to make Salford a top club and compete for honours which is great, the more ambitious clubs the better. But Superleague clubs should be following the example of some union clubs who take a big game to a showpiece stadium, ie, Wembley, Twickenham.

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

The potential new owner has said in layman's terms that he'd like to make Salford a top club and compete for honours which is great, the more ambitious clubs the better. But Superleague clubs should be following the example of some union clubs who take a big game to a showpiece stadium, ie, Wembley, Twickenham.

Fail to see the logic in having a 1/16 full stadium with zero atmosphere, not exactly going to be a great advert is it?

#3 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

It would be great to see but I would have thought that they would be looking to fill their new ground at Barton on a regular basis before trying something as ambitious as that.

That said, a double header of 2 local derbies, for example Warrington V Widnes and Wigan V St Helens might work in a big ground, it's realistic to suppose they could all get 10,000 each there, problem is who would forfeit their home game.
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#4 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

So he buys the new stadium at Barton, then plays the big games at United, they first need to get Barton logged into "favourites" on fans Sat Navs before trying summut like that.

#5 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,938 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

It would be great to see but I would have thought that they would be looking to fill their new ground at Barton on a regular basis before trying something as ambitious as that.

That said, a double header of 2 local derbies, for example Warrington V Widnes and Wigan V St Helens might work in a big ground, it's realistic to suppose they could all get 10,000 each there, problem is who would forfeit their home game.

i suppose the point is that Saracens get 4-7k crowds at home but manage to get decent crowds at wembley at a tenner a pop, even harlequins don't sell out their ground but can get 80,000 at twickenham so there doesn't necessarily have to a relationship between your regular crowd and what you can get an event. Stade francais get 8k at home but fill the national stadium. But I think the circumstances are still very different and I'm far from convinced that it works very well from a financial pov or expanding a fan base. It'll be interesting to see what Saracens do with their wembley experiment over the next couple of years.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#6 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

You have to wonder what planet some posters live on.

Someone else believes the first priority must be to change the colour of the seats!

#7 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

You have to wonder what planet some posters live on.

Someone else believes the first priority must be to change the colour of the seats!

Top post.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Fill Barton regularly first I'd say. Be good if the new bloke can have a word with the council about traffic on matchdays. It was a shambles getting there for the England match in the autumn.

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Don't the union clubs lose money on these games,i'm sure I read that they did.
As others have posted,why move games to a bigger ground when they can't fill the ground they have.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

What nonsense !!! I thought I wrote ######!!

All of salfords homes will only just cover 75,000 if their lucky...no digs Salford fans.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Fill Barton regularly first I'd say. Be good if the new bloke can have a word with the council about traffic on matchdays. It was a shambles getting there for the England match in the autumn.

I think the new owner has stated tha a priority will be to get Peel and/or Salford council to complete proper access roads to greatly improve parking and congestion probelms at Barton. You are correct that it was be a good thing to ger them done in time for the World Cup match.

#12 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Here's an idea - how about a whole weekend where teams play each other at a neutral venue?

;)

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

What nonsense !!! I thought I wrote ######!!

All of salfords homes will only just cover 75,000 if their lucky...no digs Salford fans.

I didn't think it was a dig. In case you haven't noticed, the Salford fans are not speaking up for this idea. We are far too aware of our shortcomings, crowdwise, to entertain such fanciful notions. I think I dare speak for us all when I say the first thing is to get the takeover finalised, the second thing is to turn Salford into the successful club we hope to be. Then, when we are turning fans away from a full stadium on a regular basis, we either extend the stadium (I believe it was designed with extension in mind) or take games on the road. But please can we be allowed to crawl and then walk before being asked to run like Usain Bolt?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#14 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I didn't think it was a dig. In case you haven't noticed, the Salford fans are not speaking up for this idea. We are far too aware of our shortcomings, crowdwise, to entertain such fanciful notions. I think I dare speak for us all when I say the first thing is to get the takeover finalised, the second thing is to turn Salford into the successful club we hope to be. Then, when we are turning fans away from a full stadium on a regular basis, we either extend the stadium (I believe it was designed with extension in mind) or take games on the road. But please can we be allowed to crawl and then walk before being asked to run like Usain Bolt?

Great post tony, I know the Salford fans arent talking this idea up...( he's a bronco) . It's v v v v poor..... Mind you, with investment it brings in many more thousands!!

Good luck and enjoy.....maybe a giant is about to rise again!

#15 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Here's an idea - how about a whole weekend where teams play each other at a neutral venue?

;)

I thought about the Magic weekend when writing that, that's why I suggested it might work, the difference I was thinking of was the attendance of the 'home' team season ticket holders giving it a base crowd of maybe 18-20000 to help drw in others. Of course it would need heavy promotion from the 'home' teams
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't think it's bonkers, at some point, but that must be a fair few years away, and most likely never if they own the Barton stadium themselves.
It's not a bad idea for Wigan though.

#17 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Why spend money playing elsewhere? The relief road is currently under construction. This will provide better access to the stadium. The Doctor also spoke about public transport access. It could be interesting what he decides to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users