Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Strictly Nostalgia or what might have been

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Boyd and Hanley seem to have a thing going in that match, lots of talking and pointing of fingers. I'm almost certain they had a bit of a do in a exhibition match in the US, I've seen it on YouTube. As for Peter ropati looks like a great player, I'm only familiar with saints stand off tea ropati and iva who played for Oldham I think.

The US match was held in Milwaukee. Hanley had been getting pre-publicity as one of the big stars, but when they got to the USA, he announced he would not be speaking to the media. Les Boyd, on the other hand, did speak to the media, informing them that he was going to get Hanley. And, being a man of his word, he did! :D

Wigan won, 12:5, in front of about 7 and a half thousand extremely impressed spectators and, this being Rugby League, nothing whatsoever was done to capitalise on the event. Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqob6JGxGw

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I was too young to remember this final but have seen replays of the game obviously on YouTube but also ESPN classics and have to agree its the best final ever. BTW was kenny and sterling playing in England during the off-season in Australia on short term contracts?

I've watched the video of this final a few times over the years. Hull's Kiwis were an impressive collection in their own right - Fred ah Kuoi, James Leuleuai, Gary Kemble and Dane O'Hara.

Wigan, as well as Brett Kenny, had the extremely entertaining wing talents of Henderson Gill and John 'Chicka' Ferguson, both of whom scored tries.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#63 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Wigan, as well as Brett Kenny, had the extremely entertaining wing talents of Henderson Gill and John 'Chicka' Ferguson, both of whom scored tries.

I remember a BBC camera focussing in on Ferguson on the pitch immediately after the final whistle of one game. He was smoking a fag.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#64 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

The US match was held in Milwaukee. Hanley had been getting pre-publicity as one of the big stars, but when they got to the USA, he announced he would not be speaking to the media. Les Boyd, on the other hand, did speak to the media, informing them that he was going to get Hanley. And, being a man of his word, he did! :D

Wigan won, 12:5, in front of about 7 and a half thousand extremely impressed spectators and, this being Rugby League, nothing whatsoever was done to capitalise on the event. Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqob6JGxGw

Is their a clip of the entire match or highlights on YouTube? And what's with the baggy strips, are they trying to americanize the game.

#65 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've watched the video of this final a few times over the years. Hull's Kiwis were an impressive collection in their own right - Fred ah Kuoi, James Leuleuai, Gary Kemble and Dane O'Hara.

James leuleuai was a good player with a great side step and swerve from what I've seen on YouTube.

#66 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Is their a clip of the entire match or highlights on YouTube? And what's with the baggy strips, are they trying to americanize the game.

I don't think there's much more than that clip online.

I did watch the match on TV, which may have been extended highlights instead of the whole match - can't remember details that far back. The fact that the footage was shown doesn't mean it was recorded by anyone and kept long enough until the birth of youTube, though.

The strips were normal for the era. It was still a few years before tighter (harder to grab) shirts were introduced. And even more years before Clive Woodward invented the idea. ;)

#67 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

O'Hara had a nightmare that day against Ferguson.

A Fev Blog

#68 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Good footage in this thread. Better than anything on TV tonight.

Great to see the Fartown Ground in all its glory.

#69 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Nice use of the boot by Boyd in the melee? Not sure he connected!

#70 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Steve, just had a look. The gorgeous surroundings were not so much in evidence this time!

I'd like to know about Huddersfield's Tony Johnson and although I recognise Keith Macklin as the main commentator, is his co-commentator David Watkins or somebody else altogether?

Tony had a big heart and took a fair bit of stick from opposition players, although not usually to the extent that he did in the Battle of Fartown game vs Wigan.
I think he was a Police Officer.

#71 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Tony had a big heart and took a fair bit of stick from opposition players, although not usually to the extent that he did in the Battle of Fartown game vs Wigan.
I think he was a Police Officer.

Thank you. He looked more than just big-hearted on the evidence of these few clips. Was he ever close to receiving international honours? And was he a policeman during or after his career - because if it was the former, then I would have supported his arresting a few of the Wigan players before the 80 minutes were up...

Lewis Jones on the commentary seems to find the referee's approach to Wigan's targeting of Johnson as a little perplexing - and who can blame him?

#72 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thank you. He looked more than just big-hearted on the evidence of these few clips. Was he ever close to receiving international honours? And was he a policeman during or after his career - because if it was the former, then I would have supported his arresting a few of the Wigan players before the 80 minutes were up...

Lewis Jones on the commentary seems to find the referee's approach to Wigan's targeting of Johnson as a little perplexing - and who can blame him?

I can't recall him getting close to international honours but it is a while ago....Fartown were pretty up and down in those days and not seen as producing, or holding on to international quality players. I think he was in the police for some of his playing career. He was a good bloke and approachable and up for a chat about rugby.

#73 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I can't honestly remember Tony Johnston. The Huddersfield players I best remember from that era were Ken Senior, Ian van Bellen, Malcolm Branch and Gordon Pritchard.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#74 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

In this period quite a few of the Fartown fans I knew thought that Tony Johnson was targeted by the players of the Lancashire teams in particular, because he was black.

#75 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I can't recall him getting close to international honours but it is a while ago....Fartown were pretty up and down in those days and not seen as producing, or holding on to international quality players. I think he was in the police for some of his playing career. He was a good bloke and approachable and up for a chat about rugby.

Thanks for this. It's a shame he never gained international recognition as he appears to have had a lot more talent than some of the players ranged against him - a few of whom must have been capped at one time or another.

After seeing these clips - if ever I were to see him - there's a part of me which would want to say "sorry" for the ###### he had to go through in this game...

#76 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Anybody know which ropati that is playing for Warrington, good strong centre and having a great game in that clip and as for les Boyd what a player he was, but a dirty bast##d.

think it would be joe ropati
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#77 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I don't think there's much more than that clip online.

I did watch the match on TV, which may have been extended highlights instead of the whole match - can't remember details that far back. The fact that the footage was shown doesn't mean it was recorded by anyone and kept long enough until the birth of youTube, though.

The strips were normal for the era. It was still a few years before tighter (harder to grab) shirts were introduced. And even more years before Clive Woodward invented the idea. ;)

it was highlights of around 50 mins on the RL ACTION programme as thats what they showed for all games they covered. i kept it on video until i started to transfer my games to dvd and im guessing it could be my recording that was posted on youtube as i sent it out to a number of people . on the other hand someone else may have also kept it on video from that time .
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users