• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Some of those pubs are vets and chip oils now. Very sad. :(

And some of the chip oils are now Chinese take-aways. There are at least 5 less chippies in Cas today than there were when I worked there between 1981 and 1991. Morley's the same there are loads of Chinese take-aways, I'm not prejudiced, I'll eat anything once, but I'm not that keen on Chinese food, I don't mind a Chinese curry occasionally. I wonder who eats it all, how do they all make a living?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

It was a fascinating program. The entire UK infrastructure came close to collapse - electricity, road network, water supplies, gas. Snow drifts up to the upstairs windows and people walking through head high tunnels that they had dug out showed how much snow there had been. I was 2 so i don't remember much about it!

Without the Gulf Stream we would probably be like that a lot more often - I guess we would just gear up differently if that happened.

It did mention chemicals being used on a pitch and I thought he was referring to RL when he said it.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#23 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I remember braziers being used at Knowsley Road. The River Mersey froze over and seagulls in Poole harbour perished, as well as livestock on farms. One farm down south was cut off for weeks. About fifty people lost their lives, with many trapped in cars.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 January 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Brilliant thread this. Keep them coming please.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Leeds RL went well over two months without a home game ,then it was two a week for ages when the thaw came.It was that that led Leeds to get undersoil heating installed
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

The mention of Swinton overtaking Widnes that season and becoming Div 1 champions and then repeating it the next season playing in their huge Station Road stadium before a 6,000 average crowd also brings back memories.

I remember a third test against the Aussies played at their ground when braziers were used and the game was played even though it was really still frozen. I think that was in November. It should have been in GB favour with weatherf like that. Don't believe it, Australia skated to a 5 tries to one victory.

I apologise in advance for creating thread drift.

#27 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

This season was the forerunner of summer rugby, Wigan played 7 league games after the Challenge Cup final on 11 May.

#28 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

The only thing I remember is having (yes having, we never even thought there might be a choice ;) ) to walk three and half miles to school. A lot of teachers didn't make it so we had to stay with our form teacher for the duration.

I remember he unblocked the fireplace (it was Victorian) and we had a coal fire as the boilers couldn't keep up.

At least the school day was short - we got there about 11.00 and left at 2.30 for nearly two weeks but I didn't get to Headingley much that winter.

Interesting that Cliff Michelmore mentioned Rugby on the Big Freeze programme. I guess the Beeb showed a match a week in those days and they must have been desperately short of sport of all kinds to show.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Leeds RL went well over two months without a home game ,then it was two a week for ages when the thaw came.It was that that led Leeds to get undersoil heating installed

I recall one season where due to cricket, Yorkshire Cup games etc when Leeds only had one home league fixture between August and December
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#30 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Bury had travelled to Sunderland on Boxing Day, 1962. The weather that day was horrendous with the promotion clash in doubt. Play did commence only to see Brian Clough suffer an injury that effectively ended his amazing career. The Pools Panel was called into action for the first time at the end of January 1963, when most of the football fixtures were postponed.

I do remember Huddersfield players enjoying snowballing with Saints fans.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#31 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Was that the year that Widnes were the only team playing regularly because they used chemicals forn the ICI factory in the town to melt the frost and they built up a big lead at the top of the league because they were the only team playing. As I remember it ruined the pitch at trhe ground in the process.

It may have been another year but it was a big big long freeze.

I went to that Castleford/leeds cup tie and the brazier thing is true. It was bitterly cold but the crowd was huge, well over 10,000 if I remember. Every junkie in Yorkshire who needed his RL fix was there.

The way I remember it was...yes chemicals were used on Naughton Park to get shut of the ice and it also succeeded in getting rid of just about everything else as well... it turned into a sludge pit and only one match(a CC game featuring amateurs Moldgreen ??? and Widnes) was played,I think the whole pitch had to be relaid. I'm amazed the players didnt suffer toxic poisoning.!!
I say "the way I remember it" as I would welcome other accounts of this as my memory may be playing tricks on me :huh:

Edited by alan30058, 20 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#32 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

In the 62/63 winter I was 8 and we walked to school down walkways cut into the streets (very few people had cars in my village). The snow bankings along most of the walkways were higher than me.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#33 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I remember that Winter very well, I was thirteen, but strangely can't remember much about RL that season. I'd guess that's because Northern were approaching the end of their terminal decline and I'd just about lost interest.

Living in West Bowling I had a half mile walk across Emsley's Rec to catch the bus to school, and I honestly can't remember school ever being closed. The kids loved it, slides and snowball fights etc. No doubt that's all been banned by the H & S fascists now.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#34 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

The way I remember it was...yes chemicals were used on Naughton Park to get shut of the ice and it also succeeded in getting rid of just about everything else as well... it turned into a sludge pit and only one match(a CC game featuring amateurs Moldgreen ??? and Widnes) was played,I think the whole pitch had to be relaid. I'm amazed the players didnt suffer toxic poisoning.!!
I say "the way I remember it" as I would welcome other accounts of this as my memory may be playing tricks on me :huh:

Alan I definitely attended a game at Naughton Park that year between two amateur sides in the Challenge Cup, I think the other one was a Barrow side, Roose or something like that. After Widnes got that first fixture played the RFL wanted them to use Lowerhouse Lane to get the fixture back log down.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#35 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://www.liverpool...99623-25586977/

#36 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Brilliant thread this. Keep them coming please.

I remember we(The Wire) played our first game after the big freeze with a home cup tie against Doncaster.
The local paper advertised for schoolboys to turn up at 8.00am on the Saturday morning to stoke the Braziers and also place pokers in them until red hot and glowing and then find a hard patch of ice to drive in the poker(no health & safety jobsworths in those days :D )
The reward for all this work was that IF the game was played we could stay and watch it for free !!!
The game was passed as playable and a very sooty 12 year old was chuffed to have played his part .
But as it was only 1.30pm I nipped out to buy a programme and on returning walked towards the open gate only to be stopped by some gateman who told me to go and pay through the turnstiles just like everybody else,despite my explanation and pleas to just go back in for free I was ushered to the boys turnstile and had to pay my 9d to get in I was gutted :(

Edited by alan30058, 21 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#37 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

just been watching a programme r.e. title.[Chris Packham].It was quite a long film it was in black & white.The BBC commentators of that day mentioned there was a complete white out of all sport RL was mentioned being the fact that only one match was played in1963 it showed the ground involved,but did not recognise it, been thro all my records 1963 seems to be missing which is par for the course :lol: .Does anyone know of that match or find out while there is no games on yet. :lol:.Thank you.I am of that era.Roll on the season.

Can you tell me the full title of the programme and when it was transmitted.
I would love to see it and hopefully it will still be avaliable on BBC i player.

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Can you tell me the full title of the programme and when it was transmitted.
I would love to see it and hopefully it will still be avaliable on BBC i player.

It's the thread heading - Winterwatch 1963.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#39 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

A cup-tie between Airdrie and Stranraer was postponed a British record 33 times.

#40 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

It's the thread heading - Winterwatch 1963.

Cheers
have downloaded it from iplayer and now have 30 days to watch it... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users