Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Erm...any news on SL sponsor for 2013 ?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

How much is the deal worth out of interest?

Probably not a right lot given that there were (presumably) no other bids.

But if it pays for a couple of development officers (and poor souls, they don't earn much), it's a good deal.

Edited by Northern Sol, 21 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#42 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm shocked and disgusted that a soup company might up being the official soup of sooper league (sorry). I was hoping for a car company myself.

Mini Cooper League? :unsure:

#43 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I can't keep up with all these sponsorship deals...

;)

Although Crabtree is holding a Leeds Carnegie ball...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#44 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Looks like its Tetleys for the Challenge cup sponsor..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#45 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

aye.. the TETLEYS challenge cup

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#46 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Looks like its Tetleys for the Challenge cup sponsor..

Confirmed,two year deal.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#47 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nice new branding for the comp, logo looks nice and neat.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#48 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:55 AM

Good to hear Nigel Wood on West Yorkshire Sport yesterday talking about the sponsorship portfolio for rugby league. The RFL are confident that this year will be the best year ever for commercial revenue into the sport and that what is most important is maximizing income, and not necessarily worrying whether SL has a title sponsor or not.

He likened it to the champions league in soccer which has a portfolio of partners and said that a number of new deals will be announced over the next 14 - 28 days. He also said one of the key tests was for the game not to undersell itself, but to hold out for the true value of our sport, and to hold our nerve when it gets close to the deadline, otherwise sponsors would always think they could wait until close to the start of the comp, then get the sponsorship for a knock down price.

Quite encouraging.

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Good to hear Nigel Wood on West Yorkshire Sport yesterday talking about the sponsorship portfolio for rugby league. The RFL are confident that this year will be the best year ever for commercial revenue into the sport and that what is most important is maximizing income, and not necessarily worrying whether SL has a title sponsor or not.

He likened it to the champions league in soccer which has a portfolio of partners and said that a number of new deals will be announced over the next 14 - 28 days. He also said one of the key tests was for the game not to undersell itself, but to hold out for the true value of our sport, and to hold our nerve when it gets close to the deadline, otherwise sponsors would always think they could wait until close to the start of the comp, then get the sponsorship for a knock down price.

Quite encouraging.

True, and I'm ever the optimist :D but there's a slight niggling feeling we've heard it before last year. He was never gonna say "it's a bit rubbish but we'll keep going anyway despite what a well known wannabe mole posts on TRL".

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Quite encouraging.

Two things. When times are tough, one of the first costs businesses tend to cut back on is marketing budget.

Also timing is fairly important. Assuming the sponsor search has been ongoing since the summer and they want it to start in February, then the RFL is looking to sign up a sponsor 'in year' that is half to 3/4 way thru the current financial year when you would expect budgets to be pretty fixed/ inflexible. A big ask I would have thought, even the largest companies aren't necessarily going to have a spare million or so just sloshing around unspent in their budgets.

With hindsight, they should have probably kept on with Stobart thru to the end of 2013, thereby giving commercial more time to work with prospective title sponsors and get the sponsors marketing spend fixed well ahead of time. At the same time, I'm sure they could have done more to increase the portfolio of sponsors who could have helped increase the £'s coming in.

I can see that there may not be a title sponsor announcement until closer to April. Or there may not even be one in 2013, but they have one lined up with the budget to spend from February 2014.

#51 bramleyrhino

bramleyrhino
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Two things. When times are tough, one of the first costs businesses tend to cut back on is marketing budget.

Also timing is fairly important. Assuming the sponsor search has been ongoing since the summer and they want it to start in February, then the RFL is looking to sign up a sponsor 'in year' that is half to 3/4 way thru the current financial year when you would expect budgets to be pretty fixed/ inflexible. A big ask I would have thought, even the largest companies aren't necessarily going to have a spare million or so just sloshing around unspent in their budgets.

With hindsight, they should have probably kept on with Stobart thru to the end of 2013, thereby giving commercial more time to work with prospective title sponsors and get the sponsors marketing spend fixed well ahead of time. At the same time, I'm sure they could have done more to increase the portfolio of sponsors who could have helped increase the £'s coming in.

I can see that there may not be a title sponsor announcement until closer to April. Or there may not even be one in 2013, but they have one lined up with the budget to spend from February 2014.

Are they in active discussions with a potential title sponsor for you to mention a possible announcement in April? Also you seem optimistic that a sponsor is lined up for 2014?

#52 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Are they in active discussions with a potential title sponsor for you to mention a possible announcement in April? Also you seem optimistic that a sponsor is lined up for 2014?

I think April is only being mentioned as that's when most companies' financial year starts and the budgets get freed up

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#53 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think April is only being mentioned as that's when most companies' financial year starts and the budgets get freed up

True, on the flip side to that, some marketing departments are looking to spend money prior to the new tax year so they don't get their budget cut for not spending it.

#54 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Exactly.

#55 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

True, on the flip side to that, some marketing departments are looking to spend money prior to the new tax year so they don't get their budget cut for not spending it.

Very true. But would you/ could you sign up for a multi-year sponsorship arrangement simply to ensure you get rid of all your budget for the current year? Seems a bit short term thinking to me.

#56 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Very true. But would you/ could you sign up for a multi-year sponsorship arrangement simply to ensure you get rid of all your budget for the current year? Seems a bit short term thinking to me.

True. but it wouldn't stop them getting it for a year and with an option of further years. And then see how it works. Obviously that's assuming the RFL would agree to a one year deal.

#57 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

April because most organisations start their new financial year and budgets then.

Re 2014, given that negotiating deals with large £ spends can take some time to come to fruition, I can well see that a principal competition sponsor might not be ready to come on board until the 2014 season (particularly if it is an organisation new to RL which given the background of the current commercial director could well be the case). Reading between the lines of what Wood has said, I think they are likely to go the year without that anchor sponsor whilst they get the right partner on board, but will make up for it by expanding the number of secondary commercial partnerships.

It does strike me that the RFL have been a bit behind the curve on trying to broker the big deals and have been chasing it late in the day. But you have to bear in mind the well publicised financial weaknesses at Bradford, Salford, Cas and HKR will in all likelihood have a negative impact on attracting sponsorship, after all which top brand wants to be associated with a league where roughly 20% of the clubs are in difficulty.

#58 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

True. but it wouldn't stop them getting it for a year and with an option of further years. And then see how it works. Obviously that's assuming the RFL would agree to a one year deal.

But if you worked along those lines, are you ever going to get decent £'s for the competitions?

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'm not convinced that the budgeting issues have caused any problems here.

There would be no issue with a company signing up and agreeing minimal payments in this financial year.

I really hope that the cancellation of the Stobart deal wasn't a slight act of rebellion once Lewis left, as tbh not having a sponsor is not great no matter how this is dressed up. Having a sponsor come on board half way through the season would look small time, and once the season kicks off I think we need to write off title sponsors for this year - if somebody wants it for 2014, then they could naturally come in as a partner mid-season until 2014.

#60 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm not convinced that the budgeting issues have caused any problems here.

There would be no issue with a company signing up and agreeing minimal payments in this financial year.

I really hope that the cancellation of the Stobart deal wasn't a slight act of rebellion once Lewis left, as tbh not having a sponsor is not great no matter how this is dressed up. Having a sponsor come on board half way through the season would look small time, and once the season kicks off I think we need to write off title sponsors for this year - if somebody wants it for 2014, then they could naturally come in as a partner mid-season until 2014.

Couldn't we have kept Stobart on as say official haulage partner? After all haulage has as much to do with RL as bingo probably does!

Edited by foozler, 24 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users