Erm...any news on SL sponsor for 2013 ?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Couldn't we have kept Stobart on as say official haulage partner? After all haulage has as much to do with RL as bingo probably does!

Aye - suppose we just have to wait for this series of exciting announcements that we are getting told about, good start with XBlades, Rhino, Foxy and Tetleys (with a World Cup bonus of Marriot) but surely this isn't it.

#62 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

True, on the flip side to that, some marketing departments are looking to spend money prior to the new tax year so they don't get their budget cut for not spending it.

And they would also wait 'til near the end of the financial year, to see how much they had left to dispose of. With our season starting when it does, this is a bit of a drawback.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,960 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Any decent company whose FY starts April should have more or less frozen its business plans and budgets by now.

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Any decent company whose FY starts April should have more or less frozen its business plans and budgets by now.

whilst budgets may have been locked down - many marketing budgets will have flexibility in them for opportunitirs that presrnt itself.

I suspect sponsoring a RL comp just aint that attractive to most.

#65 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've heard Ian Lenaghan bigging up the new bloke in charge of these deals - James Mercer. He said he's one of the best appointments the RFL have made. He's the man who Woods believes will deliver the highest aggregate sponsorship revenues ever before the end of 2013. As another poster has highlighted they may be not looking at a headline sponsor at all but something akin to the champions league concept. Wouldn't this be better all round to build up a portfolio of half a dozen or so companies & spread the risk. Build up a dossier.

Edited by audois, 24 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#66 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I've heard Ian Lenaghan bigging up the new bloke in charge of these deals - James Mercer. He said he's one of the best appointments the RFL have made. He's the man who Woods believes will deliver the highest aggregate sponsorship revenues ever before the end of 2013. As another poster has highlighted they may be not be looking at a headline sponsor at all but something akin to the champions league concept. Wouldn't this be better all round to build up a portfolio of half a dozen or so companies & spread the risk. Build up a dossier.

maybe - 8 sponsors worth 200k would be worth more than a title sponsor.

My only reservation with this is that we have always had a panel of sponsors - guess we just dont know the combined value of these.

#67 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Shame the cooperative deal ended, thought they were a great fit fot RL

#68 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,235 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

With multiple sponsors, it also means that if one pulls out, the sport doesn't take as much of a hit and we don't have dramas about starting a new season without a sponsor. It would be very unlikely for half a dozen companies to drop RL at exactly the same time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#69 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

With multiple sponsors, it also means that if one pulls out, the sport doesn't take as much of a hit and we don't have dramas about starting a new season without a sponsor. It would be very unlikely for half a dozen companies to drop RL at exactly the same time.

To my earlier point, do you know what is new about this strategy?

In recent years we have had:
DeWalt
Valvoline
Gillette
Irn Bru
Emirates
Co-operative
William Hill
Tissot
etc

as partners, as well as then having a title sponsor? Were they giving these sponsorships away on a cheap basis?

#70 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I've heard of a couple of partners lined up, ones a beer and one will make the league smell very nice.

Looks like the above was right! Tetley's did CC and u noticed Brut on the sleeves of match officials at the weekend!

In terms of sponsors I also heard the Heinz Big Soup Super League Update on Talk Sport today with Martin Offiah. He wasn't exactly inspiring but great to get airtime none the less!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thought a Championship deal had been confirmed - any news on the announcement?

#72 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Looks like the above was right! Tetley's did CC and u noticed Brut on the sleeves of match officials at the weekend!

BURN THE WITCH!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#73 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Well we've still no sponsor but the world seems to keep turning. Don't get me wrong, I hope we get one but it doesn't seem that bad without one.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#74 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Well my friend it is BAD without one and outside of all the spin from the RFL regarding partners etc most SL clubs are not happy bunnies.Most have no idea of the amounts of money involved FOXY/BRUT etc and also have had to give up valuable perimeter signage space to the RFL that they could have sold (Estimated £ 300/400K over all the SL clubs)Rugby Union has a naming rights sponsor and 5/6 partners the only reason the RFL hark on about partners is their inability to find a major naming rights sponsor as one club recently said this whole mess has been caused by the STOBART freebie deal why should anyone want to pay decent money when it was given away for free last season.No doubt more spin soon:(((CM

I can well understand them being not happy but in relation to the Stobart deal, my understanding is the deal was put to a vote and the majority of clubs went for it.

Lewis did seem to lean on them a bit heavily to get it through but surely the impact on having to get subsequent sponsors on board paying cash should have been addressed? If it wasn't then the clubs have only themselves to blame in this regard, no?

#75 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 663 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I can well understand them being not happy but in relation to the Stobart deal, my understanding is the deal was put to a vote and the majority of clubs went for it.

Lewis did seem to lean on them a bit heavily to get it through but surely the impact on having to get subsequent sponsors on board paying cash should have been addressed? If it wasn't then the clubs have only themselves to blame in this regard, no?

Well the clubs that voted for it do.

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Well my friend it is BAD without one and outside of all the spin from the RFL regarding partners etc most SL clubs are not happy bunnies.Most have no idea of the amounts of money involved FOXY/BRUT etc and also have had to give up valuable perimeter signage space to the RFL that they could have sold (Estimated £ 300/400K over all the SL clubs)Rugby Union has a naming rights sponsor and 5/6 partners the only reason the RFL hark on about partners is their inability to find a major naming rights sponsor as one club recently said this whole mess has been caused by the STOBART freebie deal why should anyone want to pay decent money when it was given away for free last season.No doubt more spin soon:(((CM

What spin? If it was that disastrous, the game would have stopped by now. They have had offers - if they were as badly off as you keep pretending you know they would have bitten someones hand off.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#77 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Canetman just can't help himself - only he can save the game and the world.He's great to spend Christmas with.

#78 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Oh god. Canetmole at it again. Yes, we're a bit sh"t, sack everyone and start again. There's nothing good about anything in RL in the UK. And we're all gonna die someday.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#79 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Isnt the new commercial guy an ousider? New blood as people often demand.

Whilst he has overseen succesful deals with blue chip companies, surprise surprise he hasnt delivered them in abundance for RL. Maybe it isnt quite as easy as people think.

#80 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

In reality the BETFAIR deal should have gone through the Catalan Dragons did not attend the meeting and RL voted to accept the STOBART deal on their behalf making it a tie and then used the chairman,s casting vote.BTW on another issue am i going blind or did i not see a Dragons player in the SL pre-season photos shoot?CM

I thought they couldn't advertise gambling in France? So why would they vote for it anyway? And Remi Casty, the captain, was there. In a Catalan kit funnily enough.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users