Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Fall and Rise of York Rugby League

Happy Birthday

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Here's a little reflection on a club I love very much. Happy Birthday York City Knights RLFC!

Follow The Knights on twitter!

Like us on Facebook!
Posted Image

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,504 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

heres to the furure gav
with forward thinking, positive minded people like you on board the knights are giving themselves a great chance. A club in the city of York playing at top level woiuld be great for rugby league
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Here's a little reflection on a club I love very much. Happy Birthday York City Knights RLFC!

Like us on Facebook!

like your enthusiasm m8, good stuff. happy birthday york city knights.

#4 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

nice links for a good club

got a couple of mates who support the knights and there always keen as mustard about them
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#5 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

A SL club in York would be fantastic, [selfish mode]about time us RL fans in Hull had a closer team than the West Yorkshire clubs down the M62.[/selfish mode]

Great to see people like Gav with his enthusiasm for his club and the game in general.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#6 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article, Gav and wish you and all those associated with the club all the best for the future.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

York has great potential and with my brother moving to thrisk I hope to catch a few matches when visiting. Would I be right in thinking that north Yorkshire is rugby union territory apart from York city knights and the amateur clubs in York?

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Pretty much. The western part of NY has a few BARLA teams though.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

North Yorkshire is a bit like Cumbria, huge area and sparsely populated with small market towns and villages, yet Cumbria produces a fair amount of super league and championship players. Still has potential though, the key I guess is just like everything else money and grassroots development.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yeah but Whitehaven, Workington and Barrow are the centres of Cumbrian RL, they are hardly pretty market towns. Towns like Kendal or Keswick or Cockermouth have little or no RL.

North Yorkshire has never had much industry, York is the major exception to this rule, although we think of York as a student / tourist / genteel place today, it was anything but during the industrial revolution. Hence they play RL (to some extent) but towns like Harrogate, Thirsk, Ripon, Hawes, Knaresborough, Wetherby, Masham, Pickering, Scarborough aside from the occasional RLC side and of course Pirates.

Towns / villages like Barnoldswick (occupied by Lancashire but old West Riding), Cowling, Greetland etc in the west of NY and near to Bradford district have RL sides but are generally too small to make much impact.

Edited by Northern Sol, 20 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#11 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Like us on Facebook!

Keep up the good work Gav and keep that positive mind. Rugby League needs more people like you.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

You made me double take there. I thought you were talking about the Buffalo Brawlers or the Rochester Raiders for a moment.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I too think a SL team in York would be great. Here we have a decent sized city with a amateur infrastructure and tradition, with a brand new stadium on the horizon but when I suggested it on a post last year and also Doncaster and Sheffield and maybe Barrow, I got howled down by the doomsday crowd and then assailed by fanciful dreams and suggestions teams in Barcelona, Dublin and Glasgow.

Now that Featherstone are showing what can be done, maybe teams such as York will not be be written off for SL out of hand because they cannot get there tomorrow. To my mind York has the population, the geographicl location with good transport links, shortly will have the stadium and would be an iconic venue for Sky. They need the finances and leadership and I see no reason whatsoever why a SL team in the City would be an impossibilty.

On another note, just as Keighley might have had a different history had they got to Wembley in 1976, I well remember York and the semi final against Wigan where they were very unlucky to lose and the whole history of York RLFC might have been different if they had made Wembley and kicked on from that.

From memory did you not play Castleford in the third round at York and get a huge attendance demonstrating the potential for RL in the City?

#14 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yeah but Whitehaven, Workington and Barrow are the centres of Cumbrian RL, they are hardly pretty market towns. Towns like Kendal or Keswick or Cockermouth have little or no RL.

North Yorkshire has never had much industry, York is the major exception to this rule, although we think of York as a student / tourist / genteel place today, it was anything but during the industrial revolution. Hence they play RL (to some extent) but towns like Harrogate, Thirsk, Ripon, Hawes, Knaresborough, Wetherby, Masham, Pickering, Scarborough aside from the occasional RLC side and of course Pirates.

Towns / villages like Barnoldswick (occupied by Lancashire but old West Riding), Cowling, Greetland etc in the west of NY and near to Bradford district have RL sides but are generally too small to make much impact.

There is a newsagent in Keswick that sells more different rugby league papers and magazines than I knew existed until I had been in there. The man in the shop is a very friendly man and is often wearing a St.Helens shirt!

#15 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Greetland is a village on the hilltop above Elland and Halifax.

#16 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

There is a newsagent in Keswick that sells more different rugby league papers and magazines than I knew existed until I had been in there. The man in the shop is a very friendly man and is often wearing a St.Helens shirt!

cockermouth also have a rugby league team.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

cockermouth also have a rugby league team.

They do but AFAIK it has not been going long.

#18 drelly

drelly
  • Coach
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

York,despite having any success since the 1930,s could attract good crowds at the old Clarence St ground. For the years 55/6 to 57/8 the average attendance was over 6,000 for all games. The Leeds games usually got crowds of 10 - 12,000, and a cup game against Doncaster was witnessed by 10,444.
The point i,m making is that there is latent support for the game of RL ,whilst not suggesting the above crowds will ever again be reached but with a little(or even lot) more success the whole game of RL would reap the benefit.
Well done all who have kept the club going.

#19 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,773 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Like us on Facebook!

A very nice article, Gavin. I'm old enough to remember some big crowds at the old Clarence Street ground. As you say, it was ideally located near to the city centre. The people who ran the club in those days bear a heavy responsibility for its decline.

#20 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Martyn, coming from you with all your RL Writing experience that means a lot!

Thank you everybody else for your kind comments too, they're all greatly appreciated. :)
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Happy Birthday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users