Fergal Keane
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Charlie Pontoon from Viz was my favourite.

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Here's my most disliked columnists in the Times, and the impression they leave on me:

- Caitlin Moran ... "Me! Me! Me!"
- Owen Slot ... Rugby Union Stooge and Cycling Fifth Columnist
- Simon Barnes ... "I'm pontificating, so listen to this"
- Carol Midgley ... Professional Killjoy, Misery Guts and Whinger
- Giles Coren ... Smug. Smug. Smug.

Columnists who make me think that the Times is worth buying: -

- Michael Atherton
- Matthew Syed
- Robert Crampton
- Hannah Betts
- Sarah Vine
- Libby Purves

Mind you, it's only the Sudoku and Crossword that keep me buying it every day.

Edited by Wolford6, 20 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I agree with l'ang on a few of those. For all his faults, I do enjoy Clarkson's Sunday Times column. Grace Dent is great as well.

Martin Kelner's Sport on TV column in The Grauniad was one of the highlights of the week until it got the boot a few weeks ago.Shame as it was often the only part of the paper that would mention RL some weeks.Think he has moved across to the Racing Post now to continue it.

I also enjoy Hadley Freeman and Victoria Coren in The Graun/Observer

Edited by Amber Avenger, 21 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I agree with l'ang on a few of those. For all his faults, I do enjoy Clarkson's Sunday Times column. Grace Dent is great as well.

Martin Kelner's Sport on TV column in The Grauniad was one of the highlights of the week until it got the boot a few weeks ago.Shame as it was often the only part of the paper that would mention RL some weeks.Think he has moved across to the Racing Post now to continue it.

I also enjoy Hadley Freeman and Victoria Coren in The Graun/Observer

Victoria Coren definitely.
Keeping it local

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I don't buy Murdoch papers on pricinple. I do like to read Jay Rayner though - especially when he slags somewhere off!
I also like William Keegan - he does know what's what where economics go.
Also Lucy Mangam in the Guardian colour section
I always read Polly Toynbee (when she's in these days) Andrew Rawnsley and Will Hutton are always worth a read too.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#7 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,332 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

One columnist I can't get on with is David Mitchell in the Guardian. I like his comedy work, find him a likeable bloke and share similar political beliefs, but his columns grate on me. Too London centric trying hard to be counter culture for me.
Fides invicta triumphat

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

One columnist I can't get on with is David Mitchell in the Guardian. I like his comedy work, find him a likeable bloke and share similar political beliefs, but his columns grate on me. Too London centric trying hard to be counter culture for me.

I haven't read any of his columns, but I was given his book 'Back Story' at Christmas and enjoyed it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I agree on this. I really like him, but the columns are sometimes harder work than they should be.

His book I'm enjoying a lot more, although he does waffle on a bit when a writer of his talent should know better
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I like Mark Steel as well.
Keeping it local

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Mark Steel, "On the way to a show in Skipton, in North Yorkshire, I noticed a road sign to a town called Keighley. So later, during the show, I mentioned this, asking the audience, 'Is that your rival town?' And the room went chillingly quiet, until one woman called out with understated menace, 'Keighley is a sink of evil.'"

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

I really like Clive James.

#13 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Not a rag I read regular but loved Dominik Diamond from the Star,.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#14 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Not a rag I read regular but loved Dominik Diamond from the Star,.

I think you're one of the few readers able to join all the dots and colour it in.

LUNEW.jpg

#15 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Here's my most disliked columnists in the Times, and the impression they leave on me:

- Caitlin Moran ... "Me! Me! Me!"
- Owen Slot ... Rugby Union Stooge and Cycling Fifth Columnist
- Simon Barnes ... "I'm pontificating, so listen to this"
- Carol Midgley ... Professional Killjoy, Misery Guts and Whinger
- Giles Coren ... Smug. Smug. Smug.

Columnists who make me think that the Times is worth buying: -

- Michael Atherton
- Matthew Syed
- Robert Crampton
- Hannah Betts
- Sarah Vine
- Libby Purves

Mind you, it's only the Sudoku and Crossword that keep me buying it every day.

I buy the The Times every day and I like Caitlin Moran but can't stand Matthew Syed.Giles Coren can be funny but he can be very irritating too.Simon Barnes is very good too.Sarah Vine is married to Michael Gove!!!

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Can't all think alike.

Anyway, Sarah Vine does the impossible and makes Michael Gove appear human, mainly by laughing at him. Did you read Robert Crampton's column today? He let slip (presumably following a conversation with Mrs Gove) that Mr Gove only passed his driving test at the seventh attempt. :lol:

I bet some teachers will be having a good old laugh about that.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I like reading Charlie Brooker in The Guardian. In fact, I'd buy the paper just for that. But I don't have to because they publish his column for free online.

No wonder they're losing money. That's the modern day madness of giving away quality content for nowt. It's unsustainable IMO. But that's for another thread.

I buy Charlie's books instead, usually collections of his previously published work, so he'll be alright, even if The Guardian isn't.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I buy the The Times every day and I like Caitlin Moran but can't stand Matthew Syed.Giles Coren can be funny but he can be very irritating too.Simon Barnes is very good too.Sarah Vine is married to Michael Gove!!!

Matthew Syed's always very very keen to let you know how extremely clever he is.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I buy Charlie's books instead, usually collections of his previously published work, so he'll be alright, even if The Guardian isn't.

Published by Guardian books, so at least they recoup some of it back.

The combo of Brooker and Kelner on a Monday was enough to make me pick it up most Mondays. Not so much now.
SQL Honours

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Can't all think alike.

Anyway, Sarah Vine does the impossible and makes Michael Gove appear human, mainly by laughing at him. Did you read Robert Crampton's column today? He let slip (presumably following a conversation with Mrs Gove) that Mr Gove only passed his driving test at the seventh attempt. :lol:

I bet some teachers will be having a good old laugh about that.

not being funny or owt, buit why would they?
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users