Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Challenge cup semi-finals.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I know it's a long way off but I've thought about this for a while and I'm bored but why aren't these huge important matches given the respect they deserve and played at top class stadiums like the eithad stadium(man city), anfield(Liverpool FC), bramhall lane(sheff utd) etc. semi-finals in Leigh, Doncaster or Warrington in 10,000-14,000 stadiums just don't capture the imagination of rugby league fans never mind the neutrals and media, just look at the 2011 four nations double header at wembley that attracted 44,000 fans, nearly more than double than what we get at playing internationals at Wigan, hull and Huddersfield. With promotion there's no reason why we can't have 20-30000 at these matches or even sold out if double headers.

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I know it's a long way off but I've thought about this for a while and I'm bored but why aren't these huge important matches given the respect they deserve and played at top class stadiums like the eithad stadium(man city), anfield(Liverpool FC), bramhall lane(sheff utd) etc. semi-finals in Leigh, Doncaster or Warrington in 10,000-14,000 stadiums just don't capture the imagination of rugby league fans never mind the neutrals and media, just look at the 2011 four nations double header at wembley that attracted 44,000 fans, nearly more than double than what we get at playing internationals at Wigan, hull and Huddersfield. With promotion there's no reason why we can't have 20-30000 at these matches or even sold out if double headers.

That we can't get crowds to the semi finals just shows how the appeal of the Challenge Cup has fallen. I remember being at Odsal in 40,000 plus crowds for semi finals, at least one of which featured small town Featherstone. The Cup used to be a huge competition but not anymore. The final is still a winner but the qualifying rounds including the semi finals don't seem to draw. On the other hand the SL playoffs have the same problem.

Is it the pre paid season ticket syndrome which affects these attendaces.?

#3 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Often thought the same myself. I think you'd probably have to start with either single games at smaller grounds like the DW or the Reebok and aim for 20,000+ or a double header at somewhere bigger like the Eithiad, then promote it and try and build in to an annual occasion. Would probably need a lot of promoting ing the first instance and maybe a deal such as buy a s/f ticket and get a discount on the final ticket even if you purchase later, for example if you wanted to wait to see if yourteam got there
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

That we can't get crowds to the semi finals just shows how the appeal of the Challenge Cup has fallen. I remember being at Odsal in 40,000 plus crowds for semi finals, at least one of which featured small town Featherstone. The Cup used to be a huge competition but not anymore. The final is still a winner but the qualifying rounds including the semi finals don't seem to draw. On the other hand the SL playoffs have the same problem.

Is it the pre paid season ticket syndrome which affects these attendaces.?

Totally agree with everything you've said but it's worth a try as more often than not these matches are great ties and are even better than the some final's. I still prefer the challenge cup to the grand final even though both are great events, I just think something needs to be done to re-energize this great competition i.e rewarding season ticket holders with cut price tickets or cheap tickets on the whole.

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Often thought the same myself. I think you'd probably have to start with either single games at smaller grounds like the DW or the Reebok and aim for 20,000+ or a double header at somewhere bigger like the Eithiad, then promote it and try and build in to an annual occasion. Would probably need a lot of promoting ing the first instance and maybe a deal such as buy a s/f ticket and get a discount on the final ticket even if you purchase later, for example if you wanted to wait to see if yourteam got there

I think we missed a great opportunity in 2011 with the Wigan v st Helen's semi-final, we could have tested the waters by taking that match to the eithad, anfield or even like you say the reebok stadium Bolton. You'll never know unless you try and that's why I applaud the RFL in taking the 2011 4 nations double header to wembley or the 2013 world cup double header to Cardiff, we've got to smash our way out of thinking small and making do with 10,000-12,000 for challenge cup semi-finals.

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Totally agree with everything you've said but it's worth a try as more often than not these matches are great ties and are even better than the some final's. I still prefer the challenge cup to the grand final even though both are great events, I just think something needs to be done to re-energize this great competition i.e rewarding season ticket holders with cut price tickets or cheap tickets on the whole.

Yes, making the cup ties a cheap option on the season ticket could be a good idea. The ties aren't being attended so anyway to get the crowds back has to be a good deal. The problem is though that cup ties are shared gates with half the receipts going to the other team so that might be diff to deal with, but the basic idea seems good to me.

#7 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think we missed a great opportunity in 2011 with the Wigan v st Helen's semi-final, we could have tested the waters by taking that match to the eithad, anfield or even like you say the reebok stadium Bolton. You'll never know unless you try and that's why I applaud the RFL in taking the 2011 4 nations double header to wembley or the 2013 world cup double header to Cardiff, we've got to smash our way out of thinking small and making do with 10,000-12,000 for challenge cup semi-finals.

think im right the a semi between wigan and sains back in about 91 was played at old trafford in front of a big crowd so we dont have to go back to ancient history for decent crowds for the semis .
since the advent of super league the grand final has taken over as the major prize until then it was always the cup final that was seen as the must win but now its just a midseason comp much in the catagory of the regal trophy at least until the final
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

think im right the a semi between wigan and sains back in about 91 was played at old trafford in front of a big crowd so we dont have to go back to ancient history for decent crowds for the semis .
since the advent of super league the grand final has taken over as the major prize until then it was always the cup final that was seen as the must win but now its just a midseason comp much in the catagory of the regal trophy at least until the final

If the World Club championship is extended to two teams from each country, maybe Winning the Challenge Cup can be made a criterium for a team to qualify for that. Interest in the Cup would be stimulated if that were so.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

If the World Club championship is extended to two teams from each country, maybe Winning the Challenge Cup can be made a criterium for a team to qualify for that. Interest in the Cup would be stimulated if that were so.

Would the Aussies want to expand the World club challenge, they hardly take it serious now.

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Semis are fine as they are, fan number says the RFL get it right!!

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Fan numbers for 4 nations games at Wigan, Huddersfield and hull didn't stop them taking a match to wembley resulting in a extra 20,000 fans turning up, it's worth a gamble in my opinion.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Would the Aussies want to expand the World club challenge, they hardly take it serious now.

I know it was being discussed with them but I don't know of any results from those discussions.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Getting less for the semi final of a major competiton than for a run of the mill league fixture between teams cannot be right.

#14 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I agree that the semis should be treated as an event and planned ahead. Just as we all know where the final will be and when (bring it back to cardiff!) the semis should be located in a permanent home and tickets sold and promoted well in advance
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Fan numbers for 4 nations games at Wigan, Huddersfield and hull didn't stop them taking a match to wembley resulting in a extra 20,000 fans turning up, it's worth a gamble in my opinion.

With respect, semi finals is four clubs, not every league fan in the country..... So it's a massive gamble, plus the timing of the semi to final is a few weeks..... Expensive for most people.

Getting less for the semi final of a major competiton than for a run of the mill league fixture between teams cannot be right.

I agree and understand, but this will happen due to season tickets and then people not willing to part with their hard earned cash... Play offs exactly the same.

I agree that the semis should be treated as an event and planned ahead. Just as we all know where the final will be and when (bring it back to cardiff!) the semis should be located in a permanent home and tickets sold and promoted well in advance

They're planned well ahead, why should they have a permanent home??

I've enjoy semis in Yorkshire, I've enjoyed them in Lancashire ( please don't split hairs) it nice to go to other grounds to see my team.

Surely going to the same ground every semi would get boring !!

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 20 January 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#16 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

With respect, semi finals is four clubs, not every league fan in the country..... So it's a massive gamble, plus the timing of the semi to final is a few weeks..... Expensive for most people.

I agree and understand, but this will happen due to season tickets and then people not willing to part with their hard earned cash... Play offs exactly the same.

They're planned well ahead, why should they have a permanent home??

I've enjoy semis in Yorkshire, I've enjoyed them in Lancashire ( please don't split hairs) it nice to go to other grounds to see my team.

Surely going to the same ground every semi would get boring !!

so the promotion and ticket selling starts when? Are you bored of going to wembley every year? If they were gangbusters it wouldn't matter but the semis are dying in their ######. Something needs to be tried
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

so the promotion and ticket selling starts when? Are you bored of going to wembley every year? If they were gangbusters it wouldn't matter but the semis are dying in their ######. Something needs to be tried

When you win you're quarter final game!! Simple really.

I'll never get bored of wembley, have been most years since 87. As I'm now older , married and with kids, they go to their grandparents, so the wife and I make a weekend of it.

Tbf. Other than finals, the clubs during the regular season do a great job, any other matches will be a challenge due to the climate were currently in.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Depending on who the four semi-finalists are (3 Yorkshire sides to 1 Lancashire side or vice versa) I would go for a double header at either the etihad stadium for Lancashire or bramhall lane for yorkshire.

#19 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

When you win you're quarter final game!! Simple really.

I'll never get bored of wembley, have been most years since 87. As I'm now older , married and with kids, they go to their grandparents, so the wife and I make a weekend of it.

Tbf. Other than finals, the clubs during the regular season do a great job, any other matches will be a challenge due to the climate were currently in.

sorry your first sentence is passing me by.
Fair enough about wembley but a day out at a decent northern stadium has its value as well, not sure why you'd get bored of that but not wembley, at least I don't see a massive difference. Still each to their own.
I'm not sure the decline of cc attendances can be blamed in tough economic times, although I'd like to see a ten year break down so we could see if it does match up
Edit: I get your first point now, but I already knew that, hardly evidence of it already being planned well in advance as you asserted

Edited by jannerboyuk, 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#20 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Depending on who the four semi-finalists are (3 Yorkshire sides to 1 Lancashire side or vice versa) I would go for a double header at either the etihad stadium for Lancashire or bramhall lane for yorkshire.

wouldnt think bramhall lane would be considered due to the lenth of the pitch which only really leaves elland road for yorkshire
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users