Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Challenge cup semi-finals.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

wouldnt think bramhall lane would be considered due to the lenth of the pitch which only really leaves elland road for yorkshire

I was going to say elland road but apparently it's a dump, not that I've ever been.

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

With respect, semi finals is four clubs, not every league fan in the country..... So it's a massive gamble, plus the timing of the semi to final is a few weeks..... Expensive for most people.

The final is two clubs. It gets more than any international in this country ever has. It's a poor argument.
It's not a massive gamble. The fans are there. On top of that, if the event was planned correctly with enough time, you'd get a fair number of neutrals anyway.

I agree and understand, but this will happen due to season tickets and then people not willing to part with their hard earned cash... Play offs exactly the same.

So we need to create a better event that people want to go to, not just sit on our hands and say "well that's how it is now".

They're planned well ahead, why should they have a permanent home??

How on earth are they planned well ahead? The venue is announced a week after the quarters, and then you have a few weeks to buy tickets. Wembley tickets are sold all year. If you sold tickets to the final after the semis, you'd get about 40k at Wembley.

I've enjoy semis in Yorkshire, I've enjoyed them in Lancashire ( please don't split hairs) it nice to go to other grounds to see my team.

And there are 13 league games to give you that opportunity.

Surely going to the same ground every semi would get boring !!

Some of us aren't that lucky to go every year!
Also, some of us prefer being able to plan our trips in advance. Some people like regularity. I think the semis would be a huge success if they were a double header in Sheffield or Manchester.
Posted Image

#23 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

The main problem is that RL is now predictable and lop sided scorelines are expected. There is no momentum by SF stage and no chance of s surprise team. It will be the same old same old in the SFs. The game has become too one dimensional with too much emphasis on muscle rather than guile for a sport which still has a limited fully pro player pool. I'd love to see competitive scrums brought back, a smaller retreat line and less subs.

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

The final is two clubs. It gets more than any international in this country ever has. It's a poor argument.
It's not a massive gamble. The fans are there. On top of that, if the event was planned correctly with enough time, you'd get a fair number of neutrals anyway.

So we need to create a better event that people want to go to, not just sit on our hands and say "well that's how it is now".

How on earth are they planned well ahead? The venue is announced a week after the quarters, and then you have a few weeks to buy tickets. Wembley tickets are sold all year. If you sold tickets to the final after the semis, you'd get about 40k at Wembley.

And there are 13 league games to give you that opportunity.

Some of us aren't that lucky to go every year!
Also, some of us prefer being able to plan our trips in advance. Some people like regularity. I think the semis would be a huge success if they were a double header in Sheffield or Manchester.

some valid points made, the sad thing that is very true, International Rugby League doesn't pull in the BIG crowds and semis are dying.

Having a double header may only bring in a few extra thousand.

Selling tickets in advance for semis - other than the 4 teams, how many neutrals are actually bothered??

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#25 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I was going to say elland road but apparently it's a dump, not that I've ever been.

its past its best but in yorkshire theres no real alternative for grounds of that size as i would think that for 2 semis we would be alking 30,000 plus crowd
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#26 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Don't bother with the scrum suggestion, look back on that website for evidence. I would drop the number of substitutions allowed to 8 and wouldn't mind a short 10m if we had an end to the wrestling fest ie a policed max x seconds after momentum stopped.

#27 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

its past its best but in yorkshire theres no real alternative for grounds of that size as i would think that for 2 semis we would be alking 30,000 plus crowd

Bramall lane's capacity is 32,702, just the right size even for a double header.

#28 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Bramall lane's capacity is 32,702, just the right size even for a double header.

but the pitch is quite short and i doubt the rfl would consider it although it would be a boost for rugby league in sheffield
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

think im right the a semi between wigan and sains back in about 91 was played at old trafford in front of a big crowd so we dont have to go back to ancient history for decent crowds for the semis .
since the advent of super league the grand final has taken over as the major prize until then it was always the cup final that was seen as the must win but now its just a midseason comp much in the catagory of the regal trophy at least until the final

I was there. 10th March 1990. Old Trafford. Wigan 20 St Helens 14, Crowd: 26,489.

#30 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I was there. 10th March 1990. Old Trafford. Wigan 20 St Helens 14, Crowd: 26,489.

I'd rather see 26,489 in a 40,000 capacity stadium(or whatever old Trafford held then) than 12,000 in a 15,000 stadium in Leigh, Doncaster or Warrington.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think it had just been reduced from 60,000 to 44,000 following the Taylor Report. I can't say if the game was televised on BBC or not. Free-to-air televising consistently reduces paying attendances.

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,456 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Now Sky have the rights to some CC ties, they are actually acknowledging the existence of the tournament, which might have some effect in the next few years.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#33 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

A double header in the Midlands could be a winner.
Coventry for example is about equidistant from Lancashire, London and Yorkshire and is easy to get to on the motorway network.
The Ricoh has staged Union with good crowds. It would mean a bit of a publicity push but it might be worth a try.
With a 32000 capacity it could be about right in size too.

Edited by bearman, 21 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Coventry for example is about equidistant from Lancashire, London and Yorkshire and is easy to get to on the motorway network.
The Ricoh has staged Union with good crowds. It would mean a bit of a publicity push but it might be worth a try.

Could be a good boost for Coventry Bears' inclusion into CC1 as well.

#35 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Could be a good boost for Coventry Bears' inclusion into CC1 as well.

I would start with the double headers in Manchester/Liverpool and Sheffield/Leeds, then move to places like Coventry, Nottingham, Leicester etc.

#36 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

And if you're going to use Hudds, at least open the whole ground!
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#37 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Trouble is it's about 5 miles from the nearest railway station.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#38 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

The challenge cup is a funny one. It's almost as if the clubs put all their marketing effort into selling season tickets and then the normal rounds of SL, and then don't bother with cup matches or play-offs.

I suspect it has something to do with the cost of promoting these games compared to the cash benefits individual clubs gain from them, as a result of shared/pooled gate money.

I think the best scenario is till neutral venues for the semi depending on who is competing. It's the special day for the clubs involved. They aren't generally matches that will attract lots of neutrals, or matches where fans from match 1 will stop for match 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users