Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Debate...... Rugby or Football

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Don't know if this has been done before and it might be a bit silly putting it on a Rugby forum.
After watching the football today, for the life of me I can't understand why Football has so many supporters. It was boring. Don't get me wrong I love my team, Leeds. But that I should imagine is because my family supported them when I was growing up.
I just wish some of the mainstream supporters would come and watch a Rugby game. Maybe they will get hooked like me and Tracy did.
Who do we blame. Schools, Sky, Family upbringings.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#2 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

You have got a good point there mate you cant beat a game of rugby league as you say football is boring compared to our great game

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

i only watch football when the team i support are playing, i could not sit and watch any other team because i find it boring and there is nothing to shout for, but i watch every rugby league match i can because its fast, entertaining and physical and you cant beat a good brawl live on tv :D

#4 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I was a huge football fan untill i was invited to craven park 4yrs ago with a friend from work and was hooked instantly by how much more exciting the whole game is and was impressed by how powerfull, tuff but yet respectfull the players are now its a family affair and we never miss a home game and travel away as much as we can , and occasionally visit wigan to watch them at home and also watch as much super league as we can, to be honest as much as i still love football id much rather be stood on the terraces in th e wind and rain than watching a bunch of over paid cheating , diving, disrespectful, pitifull excuses of sportsmen while sitting on my nice warm sofa.

Rugby league is far better and if people just took the time to watch it they to would realize it

#5 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I was a huge football fan untill i was invited to craven park 4yrs ago with a friend from work and was hooked instantly by how much more exciting the whole game is and was impressed by how powerfull, tuff but yet respectfull the players are now its a family affair and we never miss a home game and travel away as much as we can , and occasionally visit wigan to watch them at home and also watch as much super league as we can, to be honest as much as i still love football id much rather be stood on the terraces in th e wind and rain than watching a bunch of over paid cheating , diving, disrespectful, pitifull excuses of sportsmen while sitting on my nice warm sofa.

Rugby league is far better and if people just took the time to watch it they to would realize it

:D

#6 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Many,many years ago I used to go to all home games at CP and HS but I always longed for the rugby at home. Nowadays I never watch football at all on TV. I agree with all the posts on here about the difference between the 2 games. Couldn't believe it I heard on the news that Waldcot (I think) is paid £100,000 per week. That is obscene..
2 years ago I went to see a match at HS and apart from the match being boring the crowd were so aggressive towards the other side,the referee,opposing supporters and even there own team.
In my view there is nothing to debate.

Posted Image

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

footie is full of overpaid spoilt cheating brats who dont deserve any respect.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Many,many years ago I used to go to all home games at CP and HS but I always longed for the rugby at home. Nowadays I never watch football at all on TV. I agree with all the posts on here about the difference between the 2 games. Couldn't believe it I heard on the news that Waldcot (I think) is paid £100,000 per week. That is obscene..
2 years ago I went to see a match at HS and apart from the match being boring the crowd were so aggressive towards the other side,the referee,opposing supporters and even there own team.
In my view there is nothing to debate.

wallcot is probably one of the lowest paid players of the top 4 teams because arsenal have a very stict wage plan (soccer style), rooney and the rest of the top players from city and chelsea are on well over £200,000 a week, your right its totally obscene

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

footie is full of overpaid spoilt cheating brats who dont deserve any respect.

I think that statement is based on 50 or so individuals which is quite harsh to stereotype the majority of footballers because some of them are absolute morons. Two of my friends who are playing football at Bolton and Morecambe respectively work incredibly hard to try and make it as professional footballers. They live in digs, follow a routine every day and are very strict on what they eat and drink ect. They're too of the most humble people I know yet if they make it at what they've spent their childhood trying to perfect then I think its unfair that they get labelled 'brats' just because a minority are absolute idiots.

Back on thread and RL is the much more entertaining sport by a mile. I do like football but it isn't anywhere near as entertaining as RL. I've been too AFC for the last 4 or 5 seasons but had too stop for open age football so I don't hate football I just acknowledge it isn't as entertaining as RL. A lot of people in holker street seem to hate RL without even watching it. Football attracts half its attention because of stuff what has happened off the field of play.

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Double post.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#11 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

I think that statement is based on 50 or so individuals which is quite harsh to stereotype the majority of footballers because some of them are absolute morons.

Sorry I will say that I meant the so called elite and not the grass roots. Trouble is its perceived that they are all the same as the Rooney's and Terry's in the game and maybe given the chance of fortune and fame they humble grass roots player wouldnt turn out the same ??

Lee Morton

#12 UnionMan

UnionMan
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

OK guys as this is clearly a non debate and most of us don't really like soccer how about
Union or Soccer??

#13 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I dont find Union half as entertaining as League but I would watch it over footie anytime especially if the French are playing.

Lee Morton

#14 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

OK guys as this is clearly a non debate and most of us don't really like soccer how about
Union or Soccer??

Union all the way!
Will be at the Wales v Ireland match on 2 Feb and a slight detour on the way home to Barrow via Hunslet to catch that game on Sunday.
Did something similar last year, Cardiff on the Saturday and then Wrexham on the way home to catch the Crusaders game the following day.
Personnally, I love watching both Union and League.

#15 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Union or Soccer??

Union for me. Some of the club union and Super12 etc games in TV over the last few years have been quite entertaining. Big no no for the borefest 6 nations though.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#16 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Serious question to Walney Bill and STW..... Why?
I try and watch union but get frustrated by all the kicking. Also I don't understand why when the ball comes out of the ruck the player picking it up just runs into the area that is most congested. Instead of getting the ball out wide to the backs
It seems to me that RU has turned into RL in the bad old unlimited tackle days with multiphase ball movement.
I have heard talk that union has more "nuances" what are they?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#17 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

A lot of people will know this better than me, but we used to have massive crowds on the RL curcuit. Where and when did it all start going wrong.

#18 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I try and watch union but get frustrated by all the kicking. Also I don't understand why when the ball comes out of the ruck the player picking it up just runs into the area that is most congested. Instead of getting the ball out wide to the backs
It seems to me that RU has turned into RL in the bad old unlimited tackle days with multiphase ball movement.

I agree with you on this bearman. I could never understand that aswell. Just makes it poor TV.

#19 Cravens 13

Cravens 13
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think that football in England has turned out like wwf wrestling in America. It is false (most football players would make good actors), watched by thousands of brain washed people every week and players are paid far far too much. It is just a joke and if half of those supporters watched RL they would soon see what a propper game was with real sportsmen who have respect for themselves, their oponents, the ref and their fans.

#20 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Bearman,

Not sure if you mean why I prefer it over football or why do I even like it at all?
To me, you have answered one of your questions yourself, player sometimes running back into the area that seems congested etc......multiphase ball movement with the objective of getting over the gain line.
I'll admit, I often too get frustrated with Union, aerial tennis drives me mad and something I have never been a fan of.
I am a Welshman, have lived in Barrow for a number of years. In Wales I was brought up on Union obviously, during my time with the Army, it was only ever Union (when I was in anyway) so it was the only game I knew.
Having moved to Barrow I started going to League matches and have thouroughly enjoyed the game and when in Barrow, I never miss a home game and often travel to away games. I am a convert but still very much enjoy going to the big occasion Union games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users