Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Debate...... Rugby or Football

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

To me the words 'big occasion Union games' says it all. How many people attend big games to see and be seen and are more concerned with this than the quality of the sport itself.

I went to a RU school in the days that Rugby League was a dirty word but I have followed the 13 man code all my life.

Posted Image

#22 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

To me the words 'big occasion Union games' says it all. How many people attend big games to see and be seen and are more concerned with this than the quality of the sport itself.

I went to a RU school in the days that Rugby League was a dirty word but I have followed the 13 man code all my life.

I attend the big occasion games to watch the game and enjoy the great atmosphere and as I always do when I watch Barrow, I hope for a good quality game. In both codes we are sometimes dissappointed.
I also have more chance of being seen when Barrow are televised in a ...what shall we say....a 1500 crowd than being seen in a capacity Millenium Stadium.

I should also have said I can be seen down at Furness occasionally watching a local game of Union too.....which I also enjoy! I'd have even more chance of being seen there wouldn't I?

Edited - forgot to add I have also been known to get to a few Barrow Island games and finally the big occason League games later this year.

One might say I enjoy rugby at all levels in both codes.

Edited by Walney Bill, 22 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#23 cath1820

cath1820
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

regarding this topic, my husband recently recieved a birthday card,of which the words were,
football is a game played by men running around, pretending to be hurt,
rugby is a game played by men running around, pretending not to be,
(dont you think this says it all eh !!!!)

#24 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Rugby league...end off! Lock the thread...lmao

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#25 SJD

SJD
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Rugby is a game played by men with peculiar shaped balls :rolleyes:

#26 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

It was wet and cold at CP today and we lost but at least we saw some tries. Must have been awful at the England rugby yawnion game to see 6 penalties and no tries.

Posted Image

#27 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Rugby is a game played by men with peculiar shaped balls :rolleyes:

Rugby League the game played in heaven.......If Jesus had wanted to play soccer he would have had 10 disciples or union 14 disciples.

Soccer a game where the players pretend to be hurt- rugby a game where the players pretend not to be hurt
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#28 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

My thoughts on both RU and soccer are that they are very good at promoting and putting on an occasion but not much good at providing a spectacle. In RL, we tend to do the opposite - can't manage the occasion (i.e., marketing to attract a decent crowd) but invariably provide a stunning, sporting spectacle.

Football speccies look at the size of the crowds they attract as indicating the quality of the product on show. If this were true, then WWE and American Football (the best supported sports in the world) are top of the tree in terms of quality, as is Eastenders on TV. Nuff said, methinks.

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 13 February 2013 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users