TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

James Nixon

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Averaging 1600 may be possible but if we start losing a few the support will tail off and that goal may be hard to achieve. A winning side brings in more punters simples so we have to get a few good wins under our belt early on...bit of a task that in this division !

Welcome back Holty lad glad you are posting and I for one want to wish the players and the coaching staff all the best for the coming season. Im sure there will be ups and downs but whatever happens i'll be there at all the home games and try to catch as many away as is possible.

Lee

Lee, I know you are barrow through and through but we will not get an average of 1600 through the gates this season! In my opinion we will average around 1000. I pray to god that the BoD have not based budgets thinking we are going to match last years gates..I may be wrong as I left before the end of the season but I believe it was an average of around 1300. This is still an amazing support even in Championship rugby and if I'm wrong it's a bonus.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#42 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Well gates are gonna be 2 down this year since the wife and I live in sydney now!!

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#43 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

The gates are the bigest income for any club and every 100 that there down by equates to over £1000 plus bar and snack takings. Last year the goal was greater in my opinion and that was to end up at or near the top and gain promotion, this year the goal cannot be to win the league as realism will kick in at some stage. Some may expect more gate numbers due to the higher league and this may be true from the travelling fans to Barrow but I would guess that the home crowd will be down on last year.

We have already seen a masive drop in the gate numbers on the freindlys to last year and with loosing the bigest freindly the coffers will already be hurting.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#44 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Great post Holty I don't think your intruding, it's good to have someone who knows what's going on putting the record straight.
I know you have a lot on your plate but I for one would look forward to the odd post from you in the coming months.

On the crowd numbers 1600 average could be achieved but it would need some pro activity from the club.
Some ideas here, they are not original but have been seen to work
1) kids in free with a paying parent,
2) Junior tournaments before kick off or half time (2 parents for the price of one)
3) Half price for Barrow AFC season ticket holders
4) half price for members of local Sports clubs
5) offer a special deal to local RL clubs bring 10 or more people and get half of the money back in cash back to the local club.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#45 town82

town82
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Scott maca is back from a season out, jjp was terrible last year for being and international and James Cameron? How many times you seen him play? Heard he did nothing against gateshead! I would have nico anyday

Edited by town82, 24 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#46 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Lee, I know you are barrow through and through but we will not get an average of 1600 through the gates this season! In my opinion we will average around 1000. I pray to god that the BoD have not based budgets thinking we are going to match last years gates..I may be wrong as I left before the end of the season but I believe it was an average of around 1300. This is still an amazing support even in Championship rugby and if I'm wrong it's a bonus.

Why will we average 1000? I don't see how we can be 200/300 down from last year when in a better competition with better away support. We have some massive games at home this year aganst Workington, Whitehaven, Featherstone and Halifax. Played on a sunday with good advertisement and built up properly these games could easily hit the 2k mark. Workington got 1850 last season at home and Whitehaven got 1700 on a thursday night.

If we averaged 1300 last season, and we averaged 2200 in the 09 season surely we can get a third of the 900 fans we last to attend games regardless of a winning team or not.

I can't see your logic in crowds going down from last year. It just doesn't make sense with bigger away support and bigger names coming to town. The likes of Halifax are coming instead of Gateshead? How is that going to decrease crowds even if we've lost the last couple of games (which we might not of done anyways)

#47 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Like I said I hope I'm wrong..but I hope the BoD have allowed for lower gates when budgeting for 2013. I would have looked at a reduction of at least 25% to 30% of the gate over the whole season not just certain games.
When I budget in my business we take the expected turnover and look at the risk or % of returns for example if we made £100k over the turnstiles last season but you are not absolutely sure you would hit that again then the 100k would remain in the budget with a say 20% risk. Giving a predicted budget of £80k...budgets should never be figures pulled out of the sky they should be risk assessed and reviewed monthly.
In my opinion we you have to look at the history when we are not winning all our games and I'm afraid history dictates that gates will drop...by how many would have to be assessed on season ticket holder which are counted in attendance and the expected number of games which crowds my rise. To just pull figures and say oh yes we will have at least 1500 at each game will kill the club financialy..

Edited by soss, 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#48 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Your saying we should budget for at least a 30% decrease in gates from last year. Thats saying we should budget for an average of 910 crowds.

So on the back of a promotion we should forecast nearly 400 fans not coming through the turnstyles on average every game. We got 875 against Keighly 11 days after christmas on a miserable day when most people are skint due to the festive period. I just can't see your logic in losing so many fans on the back of a promotion. Budgeting on those crowds will see us relegated I'm afraid.

Also I don't see why you're coming across as we are going to have a 2005 season. I'm happy with how the squad is this season. Every home game is winnable and so are most away games apart from the bigger teams like featherstone and fax. This division is going to be very tight and entertaining and I'm sure the board would of budgeted correctly for the coming season.

But crowds arn't going to decrease too a thousand.

#49 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Double post.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 24 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#50 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

2012 Team Gate Comp
8/1/12 BARLA 932 Frendly
14/1/12 Wigan 857 Frendly
22/1/12 Swinton 752 Frendly
28/1/12 Workington 794 Frendly

These were last years Stats on freindlys

This year

2013 Team Gate Comp

Keighley 875 Frendly
BARLA 555 Frendly
Whithaven 0 Freindly Called off

Edited by D11, 24 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#51 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm pretty sure our average will be above 1400, probably nearer 1600.
Can't understand why anybody would expect us to lose supporters from last year, even if it has gone up to £15 entry.

Posted Image

#52 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

hmm says alot about pulling figures from the air instead of looking at the facts....BARLA game is over 40% down

On losing support you probably wont notice until we are beaten two or three times on the trot. Last year Craven Park was a fortress it wont be this season for all we try to keep it that way.

#53 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I can't see the logic either in 2010 when everything was going t I ts up we had bigger gates than you are allowing for here.

#54 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Look guys I'm not after an argument I'm expressing an opinion...I have not used factual turnover nor have I carried out the risk analysis on the gates. Therefore all my figures are speculative.The point is in my opinion you will see less people through the gates this year and I hope the BoD have considered this.
I say again I HOPE I AM WRONG! Time will tell.

#55 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

You will more than likely be wrong which is fortunate. The Barla game was played on one of the most miserable days possible. People weren't even sure if the game was on and I think Man utd v Liverpool might of drew a few fans away don't you think?

Its not an argument either its a debate. Just because someone differs an opinion doesn't make it an argument, I just disagree what you're saying and I'm telling you why.

#56 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

4 frendlies last year provided good income for Barrow- the only 2 games this year will hardly pay for running the games after shared gates and agreed fees with BARLA.

Lets hope we are all proved wrong and the gate attendances do go up in the case the BoD have budgeted for the same or increase.

#57 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

If you understood what I was saying (which I still don't think you do) you wouldn't have taken my example literally..I love it that your confident on the crowd figures and I'm sure like me you will be at the games home and away, however history has proven that the crowd fall away if the team is not winning and what im saying is that in that event I hope the BOD have considered this when they budgeted for 2013.

#58 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well considering last season we bossed ya 5 times I think so

#59 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

What?