RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Donny

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Too quiet on here so i thought I would start the ball rolling very early and see what you thought about our chances against Donny? I know you cant rely on friendlies as a marker for League performances, but lets hope this is true. After comfortably beating Fev, they did the same against the Cougars yesterday. I reckon they could be dark horses myself. Didnt they finish top last year and they have a very good track record on spending money so might have brought in a few good players.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Going to be a good test for the Rams, but one I am confident they will come through.

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Too quiet on here so i thought I would start the ball rolling very early and see what you thought about our chances against Donny? I know you cant rely on friendlies as a marker for League performances, but lets hope this is true. After comfortably beating Fev, they did the same against the Cougars yesterday. I reckon they could be dark horses myself. Didnt they finish top last year and they have a very good track record on spending money so might have brought in a few good players.

it was fevs 2nd team they beat though not the first team

#4 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Personally I'd be happy to see us with 4 league points after the first 2 games, and without giving away the Bonus Point at Donny. Anything more then we'll be laughing :lol:

For me it will be these to games that show where we are and give a good indication as to how the season might pan out.

#5 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Not sure what to expect from Donny. They have a few ex rams spurr Emmett and Sanderson. Cooke had a good season for them last year. No game will be easy I'd be happy with a win .
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#6 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Donny will want to prove a point against us being new boys in the league, but we really should be beating teams like Doncaster if we want an improvement on last season
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#7 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Agree with Kelsey Ram, we really need to win games like this. It is really important to get off to a good start especially with a new, mostly young team.

#8 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Donny will want to prove a point against us being new boys in the league, but we really should be beating teams like Doncaster if we want an improvement on last season

I would agree if we were at home, but we really dont know yet if we are good enough to win games like this away. All of us are expecting more than last year, but with a completely different and very young team do we have any right to be so optimistic at this stage....??

#9 MirfieldRams

MirfieldRams
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Good tough first test, however we will be up for it after good run outs at the last couple of friendlies.

Close game Rams by 10 and a bonus point v Fev.

High hopes but then have the same every season at this point and generally by Easter reality kicks in. With this one be any different??
Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

#10 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yes we have a very young team but the lads fitness should be amongst the best in the league!

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yes we have a very young team but the lads fitness should be amongst the best in the league!

Not being picky eddie - but why ? I would think every fan in the land will be expecting their players to be amongst the fittest in the league. They were undoubtably fit under warren, but always looked knacked come match day. Top and bottom is we really don't know what to expect or who will start. Bit like last year really but with a bit more hope.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think this game will give us a better idea of what to expect for the season. Donny are a decent side and well coached with an aggressive approach to their play, so it will be most instructive to see how our younger players stand up to this. We need to see a more disciplined defence and much better understanding between the backs. At times I get the impression that Brown kicks on a whim - certainly judging by our desultory follow-up no-one else was expecting it. this is also the time when GM will be showing us what his preferred line up will be for the season. I can't wait!

What the Dons did last season is irrelevant - I recall one team who went through a whole season winning every match in the lower division but failed to set the upper division alight during the following season. Now who were they?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I think this game will give us a better idea of what to expect for the season. Donny are a decent side and well coached with an aggressive approach to their play, so it will be most instructive to see how our younger players stand up to this. We need to see a more disciplined defence and much better understanding between the backs. At times I get the impression that Brown kicks on a whim - certainly judging by our desultory follow-up no-one else was expecting it. this is also the time when GM will be showing us what his preferred line up will be for the season. I can't wait!

What the Dons did last season is irrelevant - I recall one team who went through a whole season winning every match in the lower division but failed to set the upper division alight during the following season. Now who were they?

I rather think that the donny coach won't make the assumption that what works in ch1 will be good enough for the championship - and if he does, I bet he learns from the mistake. ;)

#14 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I would agree if we were at home, but we really dont know yet if we are good enough to win games like this away. All of us are expecting more than last year, but with a completely different and very young team do we have any right to be so optimistic at this stage....??

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism, but we can't cross the line with it, Doncaster are a decent side and will be a test for the younger end of our team, but we can't tell what will happen with the championship being unpredictable, we will have to see what happens on the day, maybe we win, maybe we lose. I hope for a good performance and hopefully three points.

#15 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Games are there to be won and lost, it boils down to how well you play on the day and if you get the run of the ball. lets be honest if it wasn't for one teams irregularities we would have played Doncaster and the other three teams last season, can you say hand on heart that Dewsbury would have done what Doncaster did getting to the GF and beat a side that were the definite favourites for that game

#16 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Games are there to be won and lost, it boils down to how well you play on the day and if you get the run of the ball. lets be honest if it wasn't for one teams irregularities we would have played Doncaster and the other three teams last season, can you say hand on heart that Dewsbury would have done what Doncaster did getting to the GF and beat a side that were the definite favourites for that game

Maybe yes, maybe no, like you said which is 100% correct, games are there to be won and lost.

#17 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Read the match report for Doncaster/ Wakefield and although Donny got well beat as we did against Bradford they have 2/3 injuries to key players. Donny supporters didn't seem too happy with the way their team performed today, I don't know what some people expect, would you really give an amateur side any chance against the likes of the so called top 5 in championship 1,I wouldn't think so, so why would or should you be so disappointed when your team is beaten by a Super League side. The speed is so much faster the size and strength of the players is more superior and that's without having to go to work all day before you have to go training, people seem to forget they are full time so don't have to go to work 9 to 5 or earlier for some players, it's easy to criticise, harder to do.

#18 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Haven't been to the new Doncaster stadium before. Last time i went away to Doncaster was at the old Belle Vue stadium. I have read that you cannot pay on the turnstile, is this true? Do you have to buy your ticket before you to the turnstile? Also, which stand do you sit in? Is just one open? Thanks
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#19 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Haven't been to the new Doncaster stadium before. Last time i went away to Doncaster was at the old Belle Vue stadium. I have read that you cannot pay on the turnstile, is this true? Do you have to buy your ticket before you to the turnstile? Also, which stand do you sit in? Is just one open? Thanks

It will cost around £5 to park in the car-park

#20 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Unless it has changed, yes you buy your ticket from the ticket office then go to the turnstiles, there is only one stand open it's usually all they need. The stand open is where the clubhouse is so if you want a drink or something to eat you just walk in, plus if you want you can go in after the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users