Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Why? Enlighten me.

#42 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

A real curate's egg of a performance.

In reality we should have won by 20 but failed to convert pressure into points - the number of times were were in their 20 yet couldn't even force an extra six was worrying.

A kicker is an absolute priority - we were woeful on place-kicks and kicks in the loose.

Far too many penalties and, no, the referee wasn't being picky - keep your hands off the ball at the ptb.

A staggering amount of dropped ball, although Donny were just as bad. Does the new ball play a part in this?

Brilliant try by Brown - a stand-off with genuine pace - unbelievable.

Craven - what were you doing for their final try? Joe Cool needed to get his skates on.

Ditto for their try just before - was this Craven or Morton on this occasion.

I'm sure your eyes deceived you NickD - I didn't see our line move up more than 2m at any one time in defence.

A big plus point was GM on radio. Despite being his usual cheerful self he was clearly very unhappy with that performance and will want some improvement or changes pretty soon.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#43 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Did anyone attending the game today find the Donny cheer girls a little tiresome? I don't want to be an old nark. We all have cheerleaders, they are part of each club. I'm glad to see anyone involved in the game, my own daughter was a cheerleader at the Rams once upon a time. But there's a time and a place as they say. Their constant boring chanting during the first half was, to say the least, annoying. I was pleased to see no unpleasantness directed toward them, but they did, for me anyway, tend to spoil things.

#44 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I agree with all you say Johnny, we were a long way from the finished article. My point is that I think the things we got wrong today are fixable. For the first time in a long while, I think we have the squad and coach in place to become a good team. Sure, there's work to be done, but I think the foundations and players along with a talented coach are there. We can, and I think , will get there.

#45 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

O'Brien played well and Brown was excellent.

That said I feel really sorry for Tebb - this dual reg thing is a joke!!
Posted Image

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I agree with all you say Johnny, we were a long way from the finished article. My point is that I think the things we got wrong today are fixable. For the first time in a long while, I think we have the squad and coach in place to become a good team. Sure, there's work to be done, but I think the foundations and players along with a talented coach are there. We can, and I think , will get there.

Oh, agreed. I have much more faith in GM than I ever had in WJ and the potential in the squad is quite exciting. We'll have good days and bad during the season that's for sure but, this year, I am hoping that the former will outnumber the latter.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

O'Brien played well and Brown was excellent.

That said I feel really sorry for Tebb - this dual reg thing is a joke!!

Play Tebb in place of Tonks on today's showing. Where will Coleman fit in though?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#48 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Anyone want to forecast next weeks' score? I'll start it off.... Fev are (as always) very strong, but I think we might scare them a bit, I think we are better than todays' scoreline suggests... Fev by 6 or 8 lets say 16-24

#49 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Brown was THE stand out player today. We need to get the team playing around/off him.

#50 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Both O'Brien & Donsldson played well. However Tebb could have scored the tries O'Brien did and Esposito would have done a job - not a fan of Dusl reg.

Coleman is another unfortunate to be dropped. Personally I think he's a better half back than spavin.
Posted Image

#51 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Both O'Brien & Donsldson played well. However Tebb could have scored the tries O'Brien did and Esposito would have done a job - not a fan of Dusl reg.

Coleman is another unfortunate to be dropped. Personally I think he's a better half back than spavin.

Agreed - I'm a better halfback than spavin and I'm as old as god. Maybe tebbsy should be given a go at scrum 'afe. He reminds me a bit of Rob Burrow.

#52 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

16-22 we won!

Seasons only one match old and we.ve already slipped from 3rd to sixth in the table :o

#53 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Agreed - I'm a better halfback than spavin and I'm as old as god. Maybe tebbsy should be given a go at scrum 'afe. He reminds me a bit of Rob Burrow.

Spaven played very well for 80% of the time but was tricked by the sidestep that led to their penultimate try. His distribution was pretty good however and he linked up with Brown very well. Tebb isn't a scrum half, full stop.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#54 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Need to improve for the fev game, very poor completion rate and bad choices taken in the second half but listening to glen on the radio on way home he knows this and will fix things up ... We will only get better

Very good away support yesterday too for a change,must have been a good 300-400 rams supporters at the game. Roll on fev...

#55 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Was a frustrating game to watch for me, and I'm sure many of you. We didn't wake up until the 20 minute mark and then again played like the first 20 minutes throughout the second half.

Tonks gave far too many penalties away in the first half and i couldn't understand why he wasn't taken off. The 3 subs that came on in the first half made a difference. As has been said though, there were far too many penalties given away all round and too much dropped ball coming from trying to be 'expansive' and 'expressive'. Our main culprit being Aizue.

We need a goal permanent goal kicker, as Spaven isn't one. Morton maybe the answer, but he hasn't kicked since missing at Batley until yesterday. Kicks in play though were much better than the dross served up last year.

My stand out player was Brown, has a great turn of pace and a nice sidestep. He just needs more space to be created for him by the forwards to be able to do this more.

My main concern was trying to get over their line. We couldn't a lot of the time and looked clueless at times here.

Coleman needs to play instead of Spaven. Why has he been brought to the club if he isn't going to even get on the bench?

I also agree that the cheerleaders were a pain in the backside while the game was being played. Yes do the odd cheer, but not all the way through the game, it was just distracting.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#56 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

What was the attendance?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#57 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think spaven is a hooker, not a halfback as WJ played him at.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#58 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

What was the attendance?

Attendance I believe was 800 and yes I agree the cheerleaders started to annoy after the first 10 mins. It was like " Are we nearly there yet Dad" only for much longer :D

#59 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Anyone want to forecast next weeks' score? I'll start it off.... Fev are (as always) very strong, but I think we might scare them a bit, I think we are better than todays' scoreline suggests... Fev by 6 or 8 lets say 16-24

I nearly choked on my cup of cha when I read this! :lol: If you believe this will be the scoreline I would either dash down to the bookies or double your medication!!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#60 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

We dominated the game so much that we should have won by twenty or more points (as has already been suggested), yet could not finish them off and we let them in for two second half tries from stupid defensive mistakes (also previously mentioned). Their first try was a typical hooker's move under the posts, but where was the defence; the line there was empty?

Stupid, unnecessary penalties conceded and the referee duly punished offenders from both sides. I thought the referee, Matt Thomason had a fine game.

Play like we did against Donny and Fev will tear us apart this coming Sunday. I hope our new leader is aware of this. Let's try and play with signed Dewsbury players and not those who are dual registered. Yes I know if is not going to happen, but I, like many others, disagree with it. Something we are going to have to live with, like squad numbers!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users