League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Extraordinary TV ads to promote new Super League season (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

You can hunt down the ITV Spots cost ppt online.

But as a guide a 30 second advertising slot during Corrie costs;
Yorkshire - £4400
Granada - £5470
London - £11490

Slots vary massively in cost of the course of a day for example on Granada at 11am you get a 30 second slot for £620, presumably one man and his dog watches in border at this time as that's only 50 quid! To go nationwide costs between £6,200 for the 11am slots up to £60,390 for the 9.30pm slot, which soon adds up if you air a few times!

Of course on top of that you've got production costs, any other fees and negotiations around the +1 channel to take into consideration.

Great initiative, can see the sense of just going Granada and Yorkshire for reasons already stated by others.

Thanks for providing these figures. This is a good initiative. It is better than having nothing - or only 1 region covered.

If the RFL have set aside money to advertise the World Cup throughout all TV regions - but especially the Greater London region where a 90000 stadium has to be filled - then all well and good.

If, on the other hand, this is all the funds at their disposal, then I'd rather have seen the World Cup promoted than to have the Super League promoted minus - in this country - only its London team.

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Great initiative, can see the sense of just going Granada and Yorkshire for reasons already stated by others.

I wonder how much it cost the RFL to buy out Odsal's lease? How much is it costing to rent the office at Media City and pay the World Cup crew there? How many staff are employed by the RFL?

That may seem a random interjection but I rather think that the RFL does not put much store by marketing generally - evidence is quite obvious really by the, er, lack of marketing - and hence I'm rather inclined to think that it isn't a question of they don't have the money to extend this advertising to some southerly channels (thinking of the Midlands, Wales, London and South West where there are in some cases thriving amateur teams and/or newbie Championship 1 teams) where it would actually be doing its job of spreading the word (as opposed to preaching to the converted). I rather think that they choose not to spend money on marketing, simply because they don't view it as important (a judgement based upon a number of years of no marketing to speak of by the RFL).

#23 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Looking forward to seeing the new advert, the last one was excellent. Am also disappointed we wont get to see teh ad nationally, but if it is a case of money, which is more than likely, it makes sense to get the ads shown where they can.

If the adverst are as good, or better, than the previous one, then social media sites like facebook and twitter will ensure it gets to the attention of sports fans around the country, and if the RFL feed this ad to their new PR agency (London based) theres nothing to say it wont go on to populate the websites and blogs of a whole number of newspapers and sports specific magazines.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#24 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I wonder how much it cost the RFL to buy out Odsal's lease? How much is it costing to rent the office at Media City and pay the World Cup crew there? How many staff are employed by the RFL?

That may seem a random interjection but I rather think that the RFL does not put much store by marketing generally - evidence is quite obvious really by the, er, lack of marketing - and hence I'm rather inclined to think that it isn't a question of they don't have the money to extend this advertising to some southerly channels (thinking of the Midlands, Wales, London and South West where there are in some cases thriving amateur teams and/or newbie Championship 1 teams) where it would actually be doing its job of spreading the word (as opposed to preaching to the converted). I rather think that they choose not to spend money on marketing, simply because they don't view it as important (a judgement based upon a number of years of no marketing to speak of by the RFL).

There maybe thriving clubs in the midlands, Wales, south west etc, but its a Super League campaign, as has already been pointed out this campaign covers all bar one of the UK based Super League clubs, not really sure what benefit you'd expect to get, especially having not seen the advert yet (well I've not) of advertising in non-super league areas, its not like we've fully exploited the Granada or Yorkshire regions for fans!

Not sure what your point is on media city, that strikes me as being a great PR move when the alternative was no doubt a broom cupboard at Red Hall.

Edited by shrek, 21 January 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#25 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Chuff me, some of the comments on here are incredible.

We had a great new approach for an advert that was released on YouTube. It was well received and research showed that it went down well with non-rugby league fans, who said they would be more likely to attend matches as a result.

Now the concept has been expanded and will be broadcast to several million people who live close to an existing Super League club, and it will be broadcast in the week leading up to the start of the season that will be no doubt be featured in the local newspapers and on the local radio stations of the same people.

It seems like a very well thought out plan to me, that is making the most of the very limited funds the game has.

#26 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Chuff me, some of the comments on here are incredible.

We had a great new approach for an advert that was released on YouTube. It was well received and research showed that it went down well with non-rugby league fans, who said they would be more likely to attend matches as a result.

Now the concept has been expanded and will be broadcast to several million people who live close to an existing Super League club, and it will be broadcast in the week leading up to the start of the season that will be no doubt be featured in the local newspapers and on the local radio stations of the same people.

It seems like a very well thought out plan to me, that is making the most of the very limited funds the game has.

Exactly what I was thinking! This seems like a well thought out targeted campaign that has best chance of growing interest in local clubs. The RFL need to be applauded for this. It's not like everyone in Yorkshire/Lancashire already attends matches!

The only benefit I can see of going national would be if it also advertised the games on Sky and they part funded it.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

There maybe thriving clubs in the midlands, Wales, south west etc, but its a Super League campaign,

Yes, I know. So the target is to get people to watch Superleague clubs only? If so, that still leaves London out of the loop since they are still a Superleague club even though flatcappers don't want them to be. However, it would be far better to promote the sport more strategically, where there is already interest and clubs but where there is potentially a larger audience. And London should definitely be targetted. Not only is it a potentially massive audience but there is a Superleague club there which is crying out for new supporters. However, Superleague is simply our headline elite competition. We advertise it not just to Superleague devotees but as our flagship of the game. In this world cup year we should be thinking bigger and broader than the flippin M62 corridor.

especially having not seen the advert yet

I've seen it. It's the ad they piloted on YouTube at the back end of the season. Just go on there and request The Rugby League of the Extraordinary and you'll see it yourself. It had 239,000 views or thereabouts. It's a beltin ad and I thought it was a great idea.

Not sure what your point is on media city, that strikes me as being a great PR move when the alternative was no doubt a broom cupboard at Red Hall.

Cost. That was the point raised and the point I was referring to.

Edited by Saintslass, 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#28 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Yes, I know. So the target is to get people to watch Superleague clubs only? If so, that still leaves London out of the loop since they are still a Superleague club even though flatcappers don't want them to be. However, it would be far better to promote the sport more strategically, where there is already interest and clubs but where there is potentially a larger audience. And London should definitely be targetted. Not only is it a potentially massive audience but there is a Superleague club there which is crying out for new supporters. However, Superleague is simply our headline elite competition. We advertise it not just to Superleague devotees but as our flagship of the game. In this world cup year we should be thinking bigger and broader than the flippin M62 corridor.

I've seen it. It's the ad they piloted on YouTube at the back end of the season. Just go on there and request The Rugby League of the Extraordinary and you'll see it yourself. It had 239,000 views or thereabouts. It's a beltin ad and I thought it was a great idea.

Cost. That was the point raised and the point I was referring to.

We can only speculate how long the thread would be whinging if they RLW team didn't have an office in Media City, I suspect the same knockers would lead the charge using the normal strategy of what ever the RFL do is wrong or not enough!

As for London, nothing to do with flatcaps, value for money would rule it out for me, why double the cost of the campaign to cover an extra 1/14 of the teams in the league, I don't see that it would have a return on the investment and until I see someone from the London Broncos management team up in arms about it that'll remain my view.

#29 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

In this world cup year the RFL could maybe put together a 30mins highlight reel of world cup tries and action, tack it on to the front of one of the popular mens mags, along with the extraordinary rugby ad viral. DVD duplication wouldn't cost much, all they'd have to pay for would be the packaging and appilcation to the front of the mag.. which again wouldnt cost much.. and i can't see many of these magazines objecting to such a thing.

things like that could be done throughout the season to help build momentum.

The viral ad on TV, even if it is the same ad as last year (though for some reason i thought it was a new ad, moving on from the last one, the extraordnaryrugby.com website now has a holding page, which would suggest new content) is a great way to start this..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#30 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Great news.

Just Hope the money for the adverts is coming from SL Europe and not the RFL.

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Another thread full of foolishness. Everybody knows that Sky doesn't want an M62 league and will walk away if Broncos are ever relegated. Everybody bar a few flatties knows that London add value to the SL contract and in fact the RFL are planning a second London SL club. I know this because Parky told me.

Therefore the TV ad must have been shown in London and anybody who says differently is a flattie who hates southerners and possibly a union troll.

#32 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

As for London, nothing to do with flatcaps, value for money would rule it out for me, why double the cost of the campaign to cover an extra 1/14 of the teams in the league, I don't see that it would have a return on the investment and until I see someone from the London Broncos management team up in arms about it that'll remain my view.

I referred to London because London was ignored by the argument that Superleague clubs were covered.

However, in this a world cup year, both London and Wales are hosting significant events for our international game and so investment in actually raising awareness of our game might just have been a tad useful, don't you think? That the ads are for Superleague does not limit them to Superleague; Superleague is simply our flagship league. It is the means by which we can raise awareness of the game as a whole, warming up the audience to any world cup specific ads that may arrive later in the year.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I referred to London because London was ignored by the argument that Superleague clubs were covered.

However, in this a world cup year, both London and Wales are hosting significant events for our international game and so investment in actually raising awareness of our game might just have been a tad useful, don't you think? That the ads are for Superleague does not limit them to Superleague; Superleague is simply our flagship league. It is the means by which we can raise awareness of the game as a whole, warming up the audience to any world cup specific ads that may arrive later in the year.

to be fair it depends where the money is coming from. I expect this will be a SL investment so they probably couldnt justify doubling their investment to include London etc.
The RLWC has its own marketing budget - let thrm use that to market the world cup.

#34 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Frankly I'm appalled that it isn't being broadcast on Bien Sport, Al Jazeera and BBC World Service.

Heads should roll for this.
Posted Image

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

to be fair it depends where the money is coming from. I expect this will be a SL investment so they probably couldnt justify doubling their investment to include London etc.
The RLWC has its own marketing budget - let thrm use that to market the world cup.

I didn't say the RFL to market the world cup. I was suggesting that it was sound marketing policy to warm up the audience ready for the world cup marketing later in the year.

If all the RFL could afford is to target the audience already largely familiar with rugby league with expensive adverts then so be it (although clearly they have the funds to finance Media City and Odsal, my point earlier!). However, if this was a policy choice I think it is a poor one given the reasons I have already stated, not least it being a world cup year.

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Frankly I'm appalled that it isn't being broadcast on Bien Sport, Al Jazeera and BBC World Service.

Heads should roll for this.

That's a childish comment, and one I didn't expect from you to be honest.

#37 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I didn't say the RFL to market the world cup. I was suggesting that it was sound marketing policy to warm up the audience ready for the world cup marketing later in the year.

If all the RFL could afford is to target the audience already largely familiar with rugby league with expensive adverts then so be it (although clearly they have the funds to finance Media City and Odsal, my point earlier!). However, if this was a policy choice I think it is a poor one given the reasons I have already stated, not least it being a world cup year.

Given that the UK public find it difficult to distinguish between RU and RL, I don't see the point in "warming up". All the public will see is "some rugby league or other is advertising, that's funny I can't see Saracens in there anywhere".

#38 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

That's a childish comment, and one I didn't expect from you to be honest.

Just reflecting the mood of the thread.

Some expensive TV advertising during a high profile sports event, is better than no expensive TV advertising at all in my humble opinion.
Posted Image

#39 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thats my take on it, a Super League advert, promoting Super League, presumably funded by the shareholders of Super League.

#40 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Just reflecting the mood of the thread.

Some expensive TV advertising during a high profile sports event, is better than no expensive TV advertising at all in my humble opinion.

I'm not sure that your initial comment fairly or accurately reflected the "mood of the thread" - it seemed to be a response to another thread altogether. I don't know of anyone who would disagree with your last sentence.

The mood of this thread is generally positive (with the odd exception) but, for some of us, tinged with disappointment that one English Super League club on its uppers is not to be catered for by the advert in question. This disappointment is compounded by the fact that this is a World Cup year too and that there's a 90000 seater stadium to fill at semi-final time.

That's all.

I hope there will be announcements of adverts going nationwide regarding the staging of the World Cup.

I understand that in life you can't always get what you want - but why should I and others pretend to be wholly satisfied by something that, maybe for different or even inadequate reasons (as you might see them), concerns us? It doesn't have to be that kind of forum, does it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users