Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Extraordinary TV ads to promote new Super League season (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm not sure that your initial comment fairly or accurately reflected the "mood of the thread" - it seemed to be a response to another thread altogether. I don't know of anyone who would disagree with your last sentence.

The mood of this thread is generally positive (with the odd exception) but, for some of us, tinged with disappointment that one English Super League club on its uppers is not to be catered for by the advert in question. This disappointment is compounded by the fact that this is a World Cup year too and that there's a 90000 seater stadium to fill at semi-final time.

That's all.

I hope there will be announcements of adverts going nationwide regarding the staging of the World Cup.

I understand that in life you can't always get what you want - but why should I and others pretend to be wholly satisfied by something that, maybe for different or even inadequate reasons (as you might see them), concerns us? It doesn't have to be that kind of forum, does it?

I don't disagree with any of that mate!
Posted Image

#42 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I don't disagree with any of that mate!

...and I liked your eloquent piece on York!

#43 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Maybe this is an advertising campaign planned for a year. The internet advert before the 4 Nations to test the water, the current adverts just ahead of superleague starting targeted in an area where it is likely they'll get the best return on the investment then Wales and London targeted on the run up to the world cup. Maybe London ahead of the CC final.

For a long time people have moaned about lack of promotion of the game, at least things are looking like changing, surely that's a good thing.
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

The problem with the RFL is that it will not advertise on TV.

Well, it has now.

Yes but it is still wrong.

:( :( :( :(

Edited by JohnM, 22 January 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#45 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Normally, I'd be all for national coverage, but when it comes to TV advertising, we're talking about shelling out a lot of extra money for just adding the London region on its own. I think covering just the two regions is okay in this case.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I expect that the ad agency involved will have some way to measure the results before the campaign is extended.

#47 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

The problem with the RFL is that it will not advertise on TV.

Well, it has now.

Yes but it is still wrong.

:( :( :( :(

What do we want?

Whatever the RFL aren't doing.

When do we want it?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#48 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I expect that the ad agency involved will have some way to measure the results before the campaign is extended.

Yes thay do. I'm afraid a lot of the comments on here are not well informed.

An ad campaign is long argued and fought over. It's not just about the money or areas. Briefly the objectives have to be clearly defined: lapsed users, new users or get current users to use more, etc, etc.!
Considerations are then OTS (opportunities to see) and costs per thousand (viewers) and many other facors such as target age, sex, etc. Its not the actual cost therefore but the impact on who you want to talk to

All these are carefully monitored and (I hope) money is left over to research the effect based on the original objectives.

Careers and prestigeous awards can be made and won if got right.

Edited by John Rhino, 22 January 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#49 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

I love this ad, hope it's well received on tv

#50 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I was worried I'd have to watch the FA Cup at the weekend to see the ad, but as it's not on in my region I don't have to put myself through the tedium.

Thanks RFL!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

This forum is getting worse by the day.

Why is nobody allowed to challenge anything that is going on without a barrage of sarcy comments? This could have been an interesting discussion, however the discussion and debate gets dropped when people come in with unnecessarily sarcy initial comments (claiming to be reflecting the mood of the thread) and a post goading a poster who isn;t even on the thread.

RLFans went down this route a good while ago (drowning out any voices who want a sensible discussion/debate).

#52 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yes thay do. I'm afraid a lot of the comments on here are not well informed.

An ad campaign is long argued and fought over. It's not just about the money or areas. Briefly the objectives have to be clearly defined: lapsed users, new users or get current users to use more, etc, etc.!
Considerations are then OTS (opportunities to see) and costs per thousand (viewers) and many other facors such as target age, sex, etc. Its not the actual cost therefore but the impact on who you want to talk to

All these are carefully monitored and (I hope) money is left over to research the effect based on the original objectives.

Careers and prestigeous awards can be made and won if got right.

I don't think it is fair to say that a lot of the comments are ill-informed.

Whilst I am supportive of absolutely anything that promotes this sport, there has always been a thing where fans love any TV advertising, and that is because it is direct and in your face - it feels like proper advertising.How often do we hear fans complain that the RFL do not undertake any marketing, completely ignoring things like Direct Mail, Press, Radio, Display Ads, Affiliates, Web banners, editorials etc. - all of which are often carried out by the RFL.

Just because the RFL are using TV advertising doesn't mean it is the best medium (especially if there is no supporting campaign to run alongside it) - and it is fair that it is discussed and challenged if necessary.

#53 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Whilst I am supportive of absolutely anything that promotes this sport, there has always been a thing where fans love any TV advertising, and that is because it is direct and in your face - it feels like proper advertising.How often do we hear fans complain that the RFL do not undertake any marketing, completely ignoring things like Direct Mail, Press, Radio, Display Ads, Affiliates, Web banners, editorials etc. - all of which are often carried out by the RFL.

Just because the RFL are using TV advertising doesn't mean it is the best medium (especially if there is no supporting campaign to run alongside it) - and it is fair that it is discussed and challenged if necessary.

Its a good point. Imagine how much more effective the Stobart deal would have been if a TV ad campaign ran alongside it?
Posted Image

#54 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Why is nobody allowed to challenge anything that is going on without a barrage of sarcy comments? This could have been an interesting discussion, however the discussion and debate gets dropped when people come in with unnecessarily sarcy initial comments (claiming to be reflecting the mood of the thread) and a post goading a poster who isn;t even on the thread.

RLFans went down this route a good while ago (drowning out any voices who want a sensible discussion/debate).

If anyone's posting stuff that breaks the T&Cs or dragging a thread off topic, please just simply report it and it will be dealt with by myself or a moderator. I get a bit bored of saying this every time someone posts a 'forum going down the pan' comment when no one has reported anything for days.

Any forum is only as good as the people who use it.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#55 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Maybe a bit harsh, Dave but i still stand by the rest of my post.
I spent nearly 30 years in marketing with a £M+ budget and it is not spent on a whim.
We do not know the objectives. Research may show that people attend for two seasons and lose interest or reach a certain age and stop going.
There people may be the target of the ads.

Posters just saying "it should be shown in London" are ill informed because its easy to say but they don't know what the campaign is trying to achieve.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#56 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Some of the responses on this thread appear to be in answer to posts that have yet not been written - or else to other threads altogether.

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

If anyone's posting stuff that breaks the T&Cs or dragging a thread off topic, please just simply report it and it will be dealt with by myself or a moderator. I get a bit bored of saying this every time someone posts a 'forum going down the pan' comment when no one has reported anything for days.

Any forum is only as good as the people who use it.

I don't think there is much to report though tbf John, otherwise I would have. I just fancied a moan, sorry if that's breaking any forum rules :)

#58 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I don't buy the "preaching to the converted" line - the RFL are chosing to advertise in two massive regions. Whilst it will be broadcast in the majority of the hometowns of the UK SL clubs it isn't exclusively being broadcast there. This covers cities as big as Manchester, Liverpool, York, Sheffield where awareness of our sport is not as big as it could be, yet are close enough to be actively involved with a big RL club if they wish (or one more local if that takes their fancy).

TV advertising isn't just about creating awareness of a new product though, which is also a slightly misleading argument. It's about retaining it as well - if it was just about advertising new stuff why does someone like Coca Cola or BT bother - everybody knows the companies exist. Is anyone watching an ad for Diet Coke who has never heard of it before? Every slot you buy on TV is one your rivals can't. The aims - one presumes - can also be to strengthen your product to existing customers and tempt those back who have fallen by the wayside.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#59 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Maybe a bit harsh, Dave but i still stand by the rest of my post.
I spent nearly 30 years in marketing with a £M+ budget and it is not spent on a whim.
We do not know the objectives. Research may show that people attend for two seasons and lose interest or reach a certain age and stop going.
There people may be the target of the ads.

Posters just saying "it should be shown in London" are ill informed because its easy to say but they don't know what the campaign is trying to achieve.

I actually agree with the rest of your post, it was just the first line which I thought was harsh.

I agree with your post above, my issue was more of a political nature - how do we insist to sponsors that we are a national sport when we limit our advertising to the M62 route?

Financially i'm sure it makes sense, but politically they could have extended this campaign to include London for a pretty reasonable price - not necessarily in the same form as the 'Northern' ads, but something could have been done.

As you say we don't know the main objective, although it was stated at the back end of last season that major focus would be on raising brand awareness, which fits in with the TV ads.

#60 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,787 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Financially i'm sure it makes sense, but politically they could have extended this campaign to include London for a pretty reasonable price - not necessarily in the same form as the 'Northern' ads, but something could have been done.

The two regions who are carrying the ads are cheaper put together than London on its own. That's probably why they made the decision. National broadcasting would be much much more.

National ads in newspapers, magazines etc. will be cheaper, and the RFL should definitely be using those platforms across the country.

Edited by Futtocks, 22 January 2013 - 02:00 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users