Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Extraordinary TV ads to promote new Super League season (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

The two regions who are carrying the ads are cheaper put together than London on its own. That's probably why they made the decision. National broadcasting would be much much more.

National ads in newspapers, magazines etc. will be cheaper, and the RFL should definitely be using those platforms across the country.

You could buy a most basic London package (shorter ads for example) and make it fit financially for political reasons. Don't forget, the reason London is more expensive is due to the audience you will hit with it.

I suspect it is only me who is concerned about the message that this kind of things sends out though, so happy to let it drop.

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

And I think I read the ad would be 60 seconds long, that's a big ol' advert. What, about 25% of the break? Perhaps we're being sponsored by John Lewis, they like a good long telly advert.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

You could buy a most basic London package (shorter ads for example) and make it fit financially for political reasons. Don't forget, the reason London is more expensive is due to the audience you will hit with it.

I suspect it is only me who is concerned about the message that this kind of things sends out though, so happy to let it drop.

No, I understand your point, and it'd be nice to switch on my TV and see n advert for TGG (thus increasing the sport's presence on ITV by approximately 100%). But they probably put the cost up against the possible reward and took the conservative approach.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#64 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Still a big risk for not much reward though. If it's a success at this level, then I'd say it's entirely likely they'd look at London in future campaigns, otherwise it's just a waste of money. Plus you I bet you can reach London in other - cheaper - ways, than TV adverts.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#65 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Still a big risk for not much reward though. If it's a success at this level, then I'd say it's entirely likely they'd look at London in future campaigns, otherwise it's just a waste of money. Plus you I bet you can reach London in other - cheaper - ways, than TV adverts.

Certainly more of a gamble, however if the objective of this campaign is brand awareness (they stated this last year with extraordinaryrugby) then it isn't that much of a gamble to be fair, as you aren't necessarily linking the ads to direct sales.

Being efficient isn't always the best way in marketing, although it is naturally what most would lean towards.

You can also reach the Granada and Yorkshire regions for cheaper than TV too.

We complain when the BBC refuse to show the SL Show nationally - on what grounds do we complain about this? It seems to me that we agree with them that we are a Yorkshire and Granada region sport.

#66 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

The freebie press, for a start. Public transport commuters in London can pick up two free daily papers (Metro in the morning and the Standard in the evening), plus magazines like Time Out, Shortlist and Sport.

And that without counting a host of other giveaway publications that aren't as widely distributed, like Southern Cross, City A.M. etc.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#67 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Certainly more of a gamble, however if the objective of this campaign is brand awareness (they stated this last year with extraordinaryrugby) then it isn't that much of a gamble to be fair, as you aren't necessarily linking the ads to direct sales.

Being efficient isn't always the best way in marketing, although it is naturally what most would lean towards.

You can also reach the Granada and Yorkshire regions for cheaper than TV too.

We complain when the BBC refuse to show the SL Show nationally - on what grounds do we complain about this? It seems to me that we agree with them that we are a Yorkshire and Granada region sport.

It's hard to argue against that really. However until we know what the marketing team is planning as a follow up to keep awareness high after this campaign then it's hard to say what use running this ad in the rest of the country is/isn't to them. Being efficient may well not always be the best way to market a product, but in the case of the RFL I think they have made the right choice (at the moment anyway)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#68 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

A small but not insignificant point that was brought to my attention...

Anybody who lives north of Nottingham right up in to Scotland who watch on ITV HD, get the Granada HD feed.

A lot more folk will see the ads than originally thought!

Lovely stuff... :D
Posted Image

#69 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

Anybody who lives north of Nottingham right up in to Scotland who watch on ITV HD, get the Granada HD feed.

Oh yeah, in between You've Been Framed I get all these stupid ads for rubbish in Lancashite I don't give a #### about.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#70 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yep - despite my moaning, I'll be watching the Man City game on ITV HD.

On the Scotland thing though, you don't actually get ITV HD (or STV HD) as standard, you have to manually tune this in.

#71 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I actually agree with the rest of your post, it was just the first line which I thought was harsh.

I agree with your post above, my issue was more of a political nature - how do we insist to sponsors that we are a national sport when we limit our advertising to the M62 route?

Financially i'm sure it makes sense, but politically they could have extended this campaign to include London for a pretty reasonable price - not necessarily in the same form as the 'Northern' ads, but something could have been done.

As you say we don't know the main objective, although it was stated at the back end of last season that major focus would be on raising brand awareness, which fits in with the TV ads.

I agree but IMHO a completely different ad would be needed for London.
In the north most people have a basic awareness of the game and probably know where their nearest club is even if they have never been.

The reaction to the current ad in London would range from total indifference to "uh?". Nearly 50% of the population have no historical connection to rugby of any colour and i would wager the majority do not know they have an SL team. It would be a bit like showing the thrills and spills of ice hockey in Derbyshire!

I'm suggesting a more subtle approach is needed there. What, I don't know as I don't have the research.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree but IMHO a completely different ad would be needed for London.
In the north most people have a basic awareness of the game and probably know where their nearest club is even if they have never been.

The reaction to the current ad in London would range from total indifference to "uh?". Nearly 50% of the population have no historical connection to rugby of any colour and i would wager the majority do not know they have an SL team. It would be a bit like showing the thrills and spills of ice hockey in Derbyshire!

I'm suggesting a more subtle approach is needed there. What, I don't know as I don't have the research.

I'm interested to see what call to action is on the TV ad - I saw one article which suggests that the ad will be adapted - it should naturally be mentioning the SL launch date which obviously the last one didn't.

#73 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I'm interested to see what call to action is on the TV ad - I saw one article which suggests that the ad will be adapted - it should naturally be mentioning the SL launch date which obviously the last one didn't.

Good point. I guess the fairground barker at the end could easily be re shot to do that.
(by the way is it Jarrod Sammut?) :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

A very good point. I watch ITV on digital and now know all manner of weird Lancastrian shops. That's quite a reach!!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#75 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

The posts about RL on TV in general have now been moved here to keep this thread on topic about the 'Extraordinary' SL ad campaign.

Thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#76 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

At the moment the website is just a holding page, so not much to talk about there!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#77 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

A very good point. I watch ITV on digital and now know all manner of weird Lancastrian shops. That's quite a reach!!

Almost by accident, this may be the phenomenon that brings Yorkshire into the 21st century.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#78 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Almost by accident, this may be the phenomenon that brings Yorkshire into the 21st century.

We're quite happy where we are thank you very much.

#79 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

new Ad is up on http://www.extraordinaryrugby.com

Its a stripped back version of the original ad, 1 minute long.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#80 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Its a lovely site. Some new and updated artwork too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users