So Hock has joined Widnes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

after telling Ian Lenaghan he wouldn't play for Wigan anymore. Classy from a bloke after the club stood by him after his ban.

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

There are a lot of rumours going round, some seem to think it was the other way round (ie the management telling him he wouldn't play for Wigan again!).

Whatever, its a loss to Wigan this year,especially after losing so many quality players at the end of last year. Looks like I'm going to have to revise my expectations for this season down.... again!

#3 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

There are a lot of rumours going round, some seem to think it was the other way round (ie the management telling him he wouldn't play for Wigan again!).

Whatever, its a loss to Wigan this year,especially after losing so many quality players at the end of last year. Looks like I'm going to have to revise my expectations for this season down.... again!

No need for rumours read the quotes straight from Lenagan here

I think its fair to say he hasn't pulled any punches!

Edited by shrek, 22 January 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

He's not joined Widnes...he's on a seasons loan. see http://www.wiganwarr...?id=7869&type=1

Following Hock's demands for more money in mid-season, insistence at short notice in October on a move to Australia and discussions instigated by the player in December around his request to move to another Super League club, Gareth Hock refused completely after Christmas to return to rehabilitation and pre-season training at Wigan. He informed Wigan Warriors that he would not be continuing his career at the Club, expected the Club to sack him and insisted upon a move elsewhere.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Unprofessional and ungrateful, if the above is true. Very disappointed in him.

Edited by Futtocks, 22 January 2013 - 09:49 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Well that statement is different from the usual anodyne press releases.

Hock well and truly filleted by Ian Lenegan.

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

No need for rumours read the quotes straight from Lenagan here

I think its fair to say he hasn't pulled any punches!

Thanks Shrek, I hadn't seen that, just heard the 'other' rumours floating around. I'm glad IL has set the record straight and I'm very disappointed in Hock, especially after the club have seemingly pushed the boat out in the past to keep him both at Wigan and on the straight and narrow.

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hock off to Widnes to play alongside his brother in law.

In relation to Hock's "demands" for more money in mid-season, does this mean for the back end of last season, or for this coming season?

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Having fully read that... wow... both barrels from IL. The really interesting parts for me were

We acceded to his recent request for a move to Australia on the basis that a change of environment and a different competition might be good socially for him, provided it was also financially beneficial to Wigan. However, this did not transpire. Even though better offers have been now received, he has made it clear he does not now wish to move to Australia and will not play for Wigan

Sounds like the move to Aus could have still been on but Hock decided against it. And...

He is not allowed to play against Wigan in any competitions

Well... good business sense from IL, it sounds like Hock has REALLY burnt his bridges with the club

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Of course we are only hearing the clubs side of things,we may never know the real truth.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

he need drug testing weekly #justsayin

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#12 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Of course we are only hearing the clubs side of things,we may never know the real truth.

In fairness, with regards to Hock I'm more likely to believe the club... but I guess it will all come out in him post career biography.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

truth doesn't really matter...this is an internet forum. :)

Anyone who lived through the Jack Robinson & Mo years of conflict over Shelford, Hanley, Edwards, Gregory etc will think this is a fuss over nothing. Good outcome for Widnes.

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

This is the critical part of the article regarding moving to Oz

"We acceded to his recent request for a move to Australia on the basis that a change of environment and a different competition might be good socially for him, provided it was also financially beneficial to Wigan. However, this did not transpire."

Parramatta did not offer much or anything of a Transfer Fee.

#15 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Where does this leave Wigan. On paper, looking like weakest squad for last few years. Not much in way of depth. What do Wigan fans think? A huge amount of pressure on untried combo of Blake Green/Matty Smith.

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

It's interesting Andy but it then goes on to say that better offers have been received and that Hock himself decided not to go

the rest of your quote you started makes it even more interesting.

However, this did not transpire. Even though better offers have been now received, he has made it clear he does not now wish to move to Australia and will not play for Wigan

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

What do Wigan fans think?

Lets say I'm not particularly hopeful.

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

all i can say is..............................YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

What do Wigan fans think? Well, this one thinks," Good luck to him , more trouble than he is worth."

Edited by JohnM, 22 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#20 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

good luck to widnes but if wigan can't handle him i don't have much hope for them, glad he can't play against us would have ended up a brawl.
no wonder wigan are 3000 season tickets down we have a very poor squad now :(

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users