Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So Hock has joined Widnes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

to be fair, denis betts has laid his cards on the table with regards to club discipline, he had no hesitation to sack scott moore and anthony watts last season for misdemeanors, so obviously gaz knows this and he will have to toe the line or be out on his backside.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

" if wigan can't handle him"

But they have handled him, and in effect issued a warning to others, too.

#23 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Its great to read a press release that tells it how it is!

#24 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

To be honest the big question for me is why a Wigan lad would suddenly decide he no longer wants to play for his hometown club and desperately wants to go anywhere else?

#25 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

he's an idiot :rolleyes:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#26 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

to be fair, denis betts has laid his cards on the table with regards to club discipline, he had no hesitation to sack scott moore and anthony watts last season for misdemeanors, so obviously gaz knows this and he will have to toe the line or be out on his backside.

my thoughts exactly......hopefully this won't go the same way!

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

my thoughts exactly......hopefully this won't go the same way!

If it does,where next for Hock?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

He may know this. Or it may not have occurred to him, and the problems will continue.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

To be honest the big question for me is why a Wigan lad would suddenly decide he no longer wants to play for his hometown club and desperately wants to go anywhere else?

Well reading the article it plausibly looks like:
GH wanted a pay rise. IL said no
GH said that, in which case he wanted to play in Aus. IL said OK as long as we get a fee... Paramatta said no
GH said in which case I'm not going to rehab and training so you'll have to sack me then I can be a free agent and go for nothing
IL said no

all seems depressing likely to me

#30 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

ineresting quote from lenagan that wigan were not prepared to let him go to one of there major competitors
so now we know wigans opinion of widnes
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#31 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

In fairness if we lose many more players I think Widnes could be one of our main competitors

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well reading the article it plausibly looks like:
GH wanted a pay rise. IL said no
GH said that, in which case he wanted to play in Aus. IL said OK as long as we get a fee... Paramatta said no
GH said in which case I'm not going to rehab and training so you'll have to sack me then I can be a free agent and go for nothing
IL said no

all seems depressing likely to me

That is exactly how I read it.

#33 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

ineresting quote from lenagan that wigan were not prepared to let him go to one of there major competitors
so now we know wigans opinion of widnes

Not surprising that Widnes are not classed as a major competitor of Wigan give that this is only their second season in Super League since 2005.

Edited by Philm, 22 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#34 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've no problem with that quote. Wigan are expecting to challenge for honours, Widnes aren't. Not going to read too much into it, people get offended for nowt.

Good signing for us obviously.

#35 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

That is exactly how I read it.

that's exactly how you are meant to read it!

There's more to this than is being portrayed by IL and Wigan, IL knows the importance of getting the Clubs story out first, he knows the majority will accept it as fact even if Hock and his agent later refute his claims.

Edited by OMEGA, 22 January 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#36 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Surely the big question surrounding this move is will certain Wigan fans on here still defend his ahem..."antics"....

#37 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Although I'm not a Wigan fan and I'm a big fan of Gareth hock on the pitch, I applaud them in their actions. The Wigan club have stuck with Gareth hock through a turbulent time in his life and this is how he repays them, no one player is bigger than the club and other sports could learn a thing or two from Wigan and rugby league in general.

#38 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I doubt that Wigans side can be demonstrably false otherwise there's going to be a big liable payout to Mr Hock.

I do accept there may be more to this, but those points I mentioned are most likely true. IL is too shrewd and legally minded do put something out that is incorrect.

#39 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

he's an idiot :rolleyes:

That's the best post on this thread. Don't get me wrong he's got talent But he's got the brains of mike Tyson he's too hot headed and if I was a Wigan fan I would be glad to see the back of him. He will only lose it on the field and get banned or cause mayhem behind the scenes anyway. He's a liability.

#40 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Significantly strenghtenss Widnes as long as he keeps his behaviour in check. There won't be many opportunities for a club in Widnes's position to sign an England international second row forward, so it's probably worth the risk.

Edited by The Big Gun, 22 January 2013 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users