Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So Hock has joined Widnes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Sad its not worked out for Hock, hope he knuckles down and gives Widnes a good return on there no doubt sizeable investment and more possibly more importantly his performances live up to the expectations of fans clearly excited at his arrival.

There’ll be two sides to the story, to be fair, he had a lot of making up to do and given his attitude under Maquire gets a mention, clearly things have been wrong for a while.

If he goes well, its a win win for mine, given he can only go well against Wigans rivals, not us and he’ll make the England team and be in good form, can only be good for the game. You can predict there’ll be a few whinges if he’s having a storming season, has to sit out the Wigan games and Widnes get beat!

The fact this season should have been his testimonial year at Wigan (made is debut in 2003 if I’m not mistaken) and isn’t, along with him not featuring in either our last Grand Final win or Challenge Cup final victory (going from memory so again, maybe mistaken!) is something that maybe a regret once the boots are hung up for fans and player.

Be interesting to see where Wigan go from here, given the numbers and experience of players who left last season you can only hope there was plenty of room under the cap and now without Hocks wage, there should be room for a very, very good signing if one becomes available.............

#62 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

If what Ian Leneghan says is true,(and who has reason to doubt him?)then Wigan are well rid. Someone asked me if i'd like to see him at Warrington. My reply was no he is to much of a loose cannon and a penalty machine. He spends part of virtually every season suspended and has his own personal seat in the sin bin!
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

as a widnes fan i have to say that hock is our biggest signing for 20 years, along with the kev brown signing it is a clear statement of intent by the club that they are not just going to make the numbers up in super league. we already have an agreement for danny tickle to join us for 2014 so it looks like we are getting an extremely good team together along with the superb young talent already at the club (craven, mellor, davies, gilmore etc etc) by the time for the license renewal we should be challenging in the top 8................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

as a widnes fan i have to say that hock is our biggest signing for 20 years, along with the kev brown signing it is a clear statement of intent by the club that they are not just going to make the numbers up in super league. we already have an agreement for danny tickle to join us for 2014 so it looks like we are getting an extremely good team together along with the superb young talent already at the club (craven, mellor, davies, gilmore etc etc) by the time for the license renewal we should be challenging in the top 8................

Are you going to stop calling him The Mekon now mate? :-)

#65 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Not particularly bothered by this, wildly inconsistent on the pitch, worse off it. If the lad had more than a single brain cell he'd have been one of the best of his generation.

Wigan coped well enough without him during his ban to suggest any drop off will be more likely due to the losses at 4, 6 and 7 during the off season. Plenty depth in the squad in the second row, and most of those lads know how to defend and retain a semblance of discipline.

#66 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

What a fool/tool the lad is,maybe he's been badly advised or he thinks he was to important to lose,fancy wanting to leave a Rolls Royce club like Wigan and ending up at a (insert inferior car make) like Widnes.
Me thinks he'll regret it one day

#67 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Signing a player who wasn't allowed a big club isn't widnes showing intent. Wigan have been clever and know Widnes need more than one or two key players to trouble the rest.

#68 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Signing a player who wasn't allowed a big club isn't widnes showing intent. Wigan have been clever and know Widnes need more than one or two key players to trouble the rest.

Not a bad player to have though. Widnes will cause a few upsets this season if they can get the best from Hock and Brown.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#69 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Good move all round. He's clearly trouble and Wigan are well shot of that kind of attitude. Widnes however are getting a player who can be great on his day, and as their season is going to be highs and lows anyway, Hock may be the sort of player who can help turn a few highs into win.

Great to see Wigan coming out with some interesting comments. In Oz, the press would have had this story months ago, in England our RL journos for some reason seem unable/unwilling to break such stories.

#70 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Not a bad player to have though. Widnes will cause a few upsets this season if they can get the best from Hock and Brown.

Hock would walk into any team in SL but Brown not for me

#71 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I agree, but I disagree with VW - Widnes have had a very good opportunity presented to them, if as VW says , widnes are showing intent , they'd have put in a bid for him......... Brown is showing intent, hock is fortunate.

No dig at widnes, I just don't agree with VW

#72 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I agree, but I disagree with VW - Widnes have had a very good opportunity presented to them, if as VW says , widnes are showing intent , they'd have put in a bid for him......... Brown is showing intent, hock is fortunate.

Widnes may have put a bid in,Wigan's unwillingness to sell is the telling point for me.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#73 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Widnes may have put a bid in,Wigan's unwillingness to sell is the telling point for me.

Very true.

#74 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

In Oz, the press would have had this story months ago, in England our RL journos for some reason seem unable/unwilling to break such stories.

Which English RL journos would that be then? Are there any left?

#75 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Which English RL journos would that be then? Are there any left?

There are, when it comes to press passes for matches!

#76 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

He's probably heard what Tomkins is getting paid

Exactly Terry

#77 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Are you going to stop calling him The Mekon now mate? :-)

absolutely.......................he's ours now -_- -_-
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#78 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

as soon as it broke that hock wanted away widnes were in for him, as you say it was fortunate but, we still went for him..

#79 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

What a fool/tool the lad is,maybe he's been badly advised or he thinks he was to important to lose,fancy wanting to leave a Rolls Royce club like Wigan and ending up at a (insert inferior car make) like Widnes.
Me thinks he'll regret it one day

in your car analogy widnes would be a classic, just like a jowet javelin.......

#80 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I hope Hock does a good job for Widnes, I also hope he isn't disruptive off pitch for them.

The guy is not the brightest button and I think is being manipulated by his agent who thought he could squeeze more money out of his player for himself.

I think Wigan's attitude is as more to spite his agent than it is to spite Hock. The agent thought he could be on a nice little earner by either getting a better contract for Hock at Wigan or getting a cut of a transfer/signing on fee plus a cut of a wage increase by him moving him on. As I see it Hock has got nothing out of it and his agent has only succeeded in making Hocks career to seem to be on the slide, no offence intended at all to Widnes with that but, the impression from the outside would be of a player who should be at the top of his game leaving a top of the table club to join a club down at the bottom, not your usual move for a player on top of his game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users