So Hock has joined Widnes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

no offence intended at all to Widnes with that but, the impression from the outside would be of a player who should be at the top of his game leaving a top of the table club to join a club down at the bottom, not your usual move for a player on top of his game.

We came bottom ( just ) last season. Who's to say we'll come bottom again this season?

Onwards and upwards............
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#82 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

in your car analogy widnes would be a classic, just like a jowet javelin.......

fair do's so an old banger then

i was thinking more lada or vauxhall :D

#83 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I hope Hock does a good job for Widnes, I also hope he isn't disruptive off pitch for them.

The guy is not the brightest button and I think is being manipulated by his agent who thought he could squeeze more money out of his player for himself.

I think Wigan's attitude is as more to spite his agent than it is to spite Hock. The agent thought he could be on a nice little earner by either getting a better contract for Hock at Wigan or getting a cut of a transfer/signing on fee plus a cut of a wage increase by him moving him on. As I see it Hock has got nothing out of it and his agent has only succeeded in making Hocks career to seem to be on the slide, no offence intended at all to Widnes with that but, the impression from the outside would be of a player who should be at the top of his game leaving a top of the table club to join a club down at the bottom, not your usual move for a player on top of his game.

There's more to the story than has come out clearly. Wigan were still putting out injury excuses early this month for his absence, when there was more going on from todays press release. Something happened behind the scenes in late August / early September that damaged the relationship between Hock and Wigan irreparably. The rumours were there before the Catalans playoff game that something wasn't right. I just hope that the club is weeding out a potential problem in the squad before its spreads, rather than deeper issues behind the scenes. Wouldn't be surprised however if some senior players were unsettled by departures of quality players and a perception that they hadn't been replaced. Not saying that is necessarily the case with Hock given he ultimately ended up at Widnes, but it seems like he was trying to manoeuvre himself into a different SL club noting the 'rival' comment in Lenagan's statement.

At face value it's extremely disappointing that Hock has chosen to turn his back on a club that stood by him through the drugs ban and gave him a second chance to resume his career. However it's tough to pass judgement without knowing exactly what was going on behind closed doors. Time to move on now though.

#84 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

as soon as it broke that hock wanted away widnes were in for him, as you say it was fortunate but, we still went for him..

Probably tipped off by his brother in law. Wouldn't be surprised if negotiations between Wigan and Widnes were going on for a while and it may have been Wigan who made the initial approach. Lenagan's statement seems to suggest he was avoiding Hock leaving to a rival of his choosing, given the current relationship between Wigan / Widnes they were the best option available.

#85 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

It's rather interesting that certain Wigan fans are questioning Hock for his attitude given the way they poached players in the past. I doubt they questioned the attitude of Martin Offiah when he refused to play for Widnes so he could move to Wigan.

#86 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

It's rather interesting that certain Wigan fans are questioning Hock for his attitude given the way they poached players in the past. I doubt they questioned the attitude of Martin Offiah when he refused to play for Widnes so he could move to Wigan.

In fairness, Offiah never was suspended for drugs and didn't have a chequered past before that. Like comparing apples and oranges. Lenagan's statement is as damning an insight into Hock's disloyalty as you need, provided that you accept it's the entire story. As it happens I don't and as flawed a character as Hock clearly is, I'd like to hear his take on the situation. An international player doesn't try to leave last years league leaders for the bottom club without some reason however misguided.

#87 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'd like to hear his take on the situation. An international player doesn't try to leave last years league leaders for the bottom club without some reason however misguided.

Could be Sams £300k salary as stated,we know how special he his but GH might think he's also the bee knees and only getting 1/3rd to a 1/2 of what sams getting can make players/agents envious

#88 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

In fairness, Offiah never was suspended for drugs and didn't have a chequered past before that. Like comparing apples and oranges. Lenagan's statement is as damning an insight into Hock's disloyalty as you need, provided that you accept it's the entire story. As it happens I don't and as flawed a character as Hock clearly is, I'd like to hear his take on the situation. An international player doesn't try to leave last years league leaders for the bottom club without some reason however misguided.

There are two sides to every story although we all know that Hock has a troubled past so whatever his story his reputation is almost certainly unclean in this matter. My main point is that there is a certain hypocrisy criticising Hock for disloyalty when time and time again Wigan have traded on players disloyalty to build their squad, which in a way many teams have but not many as much as Wigan. If you're bothered that he wanted away and simply wouldn't play for you anymore, you're not the only ones and Wigan have in the past been the team the player has gravitated towards. Removing the motivations or perceived innocence of the players its happened a few times.

Like I say, Offiah springs to mind. Widnes find him. Widnes give him good money and success, in come Wigan with a major cash offer and today it's like he was never here at all. He's a hero to the Wigan faithful, I doubt they care one iota that he refused to play for his previous club as he wanted out so why should you care now?

#89 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

There are two sides to every story although we all know that Hock has a troubled past so whatever his story his reputation is almost certainly unclean in this matter. My main point is that there is a certain hypocrisy criticising Hock for disloyalty when time and time again Wigan have traded on players disloyalty to build their squad, which in a way many teams have but not many as much as Wigan. If you're bothered that he wanted away and simply wouldn't play for you anymore, you're not the only ones and Wigan have in the past been the team the player has gravitated towards. Removing the motivations or perceived innocence of the players its happened a few times.

Like I say, Offiah springs to mind. Widnes find him. Widnes give him good money and success, in come Wigan with a major cash offer and today it's like he was never here at all. He's a hero to the Wigan faithful, I doubt they care one iota that he refused to play for his previous club as he wanted out so why should you care now?

Without the money for Offiah Widnes would have gone bust earlier than they actually did.

Edited by Finn, 23 January 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#90 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Without the money for Offiah Widnes would have gone bust earlier than they actually did.

I've no doubt we were in trouble at the time and I'm not making the case that we would have held on to him for years after, just that its hypocritical to criticise Hock for doing something Wigan have encouraged in the past.

Saying that, it's certainly true that Widnes had not had to stand by Offiah during periods of real unproffessionalism like Hock has. I'd be surprised if the account IL has given is far from the truth although like I say, there are two sides to the story. Let's just hope both move onwards and upwards.

#91 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

These things are usually about money aren't they?

Sam Tomkins is a very exceptional player but spending around a sixth (is that right? :huh: ) of your salary cap on one player is clearly going to make the rest of the squad a tad restless.

Obviously, Hock is a gifted player also and, as a senior? England international, probably would be one of the first to produce mutterings of discontent.

I suppose all Lenigan had to point out was Hock's disciplinary record and the hackles would be raised.

I hope that is how it went and we don't find unsavoury stuff coming to the surface somewhere down the line. :(

I just find it unusual that Wigan haven't looked to get rid completely as there are one or two people involved in certain SL clubs with a few bob that would have been only too happy to offload players to make way for Hock, paying a substantial fee as well, IMO.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#92 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

We came bottom ( just ) last season. Who's to say we'll come bottom again this season?

Onwards and upwards............

Personally I don't think you will finish bottom, you were improving as the season went on last year and have strengthened for this season.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#93 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

fair do's so an old banger then

i was thinking more lada or vauxhall :D

Nah more of and old classic that nowadays there are a few good one about and a few wrecks

I give you Widnes the Triumph Stag of the rugby world

#94 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

It days something about sport these days when we think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Even if there aren't 2 sides to this particular story,, we'll all exoect that something has been hidden.

#95 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

These things are usually about money aren't they?

Sam Tomkins is a very exceptional player but spending around a sixth (is that right? :huh: ) of your salary cap on one player is clearly going to make the rest of the squad a tad restless.

I thought Wigan got dispensation for Tomkins.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#96 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

It days something about sport these days when we think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Even if there aren't 2 sides to this particular story,, we'll all exoect that something has been hidden.

No more to it. Just think Hock is a numpty. Just imagine how good he would have been if he had a brain, with the discipline and attitude of someone like Kevin Sinfield! He'd have been a world beater, rather than just really good sometimes.

#97 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I thought Wigan got dispensation for Tomkins.

I had an idea there was summat in place to stave off poachers from RU and NRL, hence the "is that right" bit.

Anybody know more detail?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#98 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I had an idea there was summat in place to stave off poachers from RU and NRL, hence the "is that right" bit.

Anybody know more detail?

I found this -> warning it's the Daily Mail

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#99 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

gaz hock is the type of player that you love to hate when he plays against you, but you love him when he plays for you. he has come to widnes knowing full well that the club are very strict on discipline, why else would we sack out 2 top signings for being pricks even when the team was struggling. like all the widnes fans i know, i can't wait to see him in a widnes shirt and tearing up the opposition, with him kevin brown and the projected signing of danny tickle, widnes are here to stay and are really going for it in super league.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#100 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

When he's playing for you, you love the good stuff but are constantly anticipating some sort of brainfart. Keeps you on your toes!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users