RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Discussion topic - SL Feeder club effect on us

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Right for a start in MY opinion I think the SL feeder club idea is a bad idea.

BUT

could it be to our detriment this season that we havnt become a partner to someone ? What I mean is could we end up relegated by not going down this route like the other lower Champ sides who I presume we will be battling against

Discuss

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#2 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

IMO feeder clubs are not a good idea BUT if all other clubs are using the system and Barrow is not then possibly we are at a disadvantage.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#3 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

We'll get all the answers we need on this one at the end of the season.
If we manage to avoid relegation or ,even better, make the top eight. I can see this MB being alive with ''who needs a tie up with a Superleague Club''type comments.
If we don't then questions will be asked on here. The great hindsight will strike again, for the umpteenth time!.

Edited by STW, 22 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#4 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

BUT

could it be to our detriment this season that we havnt become a partner to someone ? What I mean is could we end up relegated by not going down this route like the other lower Champ sides who I presume we will be battling against

Discuss

Lee

I personnally hate the idea and i'm happy weve gone it alone whether we struggle or not
I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#5 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

i think we are at a massive disadvantage, and it may cost us dearly by not linking up with a sl club, i mean look at swinton they have got 6 top class players (shaw being one of them ( class kicker) which i think we will miss) off of warrington and the rest of the champ have done the same apart from fev fax and sheff i think?.

With the size of our pack we will find it tough because it has to be one of the smallest in the league, and that is the basis of being a competitive rl team, if the pack aint big enough or powerful enough then it does not matter how good your backs are u aint gona get the field position to make it count.

BUT i would rather be known as barrow, rather than be known as warrington reserves or any other clubs reserves for that matter, and i applaud the board for not going down that route, as does every other barrow fan proberbly.

will we get relagated? we will prob be one of the favorites to. but ill let you know in about 6 months. hope not because that is the last thing we would need, playing in the muppet league! no offence to oldham and rochdale.

Edited by shun, 22 January 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#6 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

You should be proud of your club for going it alone Don't know how strong your squad is so cannot comment on where you will finish but it will be interesting to see how clubs go that have linked up I think it could have a negative effect on a club when a player is dropped so a dual reg player gets in this could cause unrest within the team and not get consistency within the team

#7 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

You should be proud of your club for going it alone Don't know how strong your squad is so cannot comment on where you will finish but it will be interesting to see how clubs go that have linked up I think it could have a negative effect on a club when a player is dropped so a dual reg player gets in this could cause unrest within the team and not get consistency within the team

Couldn't agree more.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#8 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more either

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Right the only reason this has come about is a cost cutting measure for SL clubs. Its going to save them around 100k a year on the system they currently use. They didn't think this will benefit Championship clubs at all they just thought it will save us money. So the question I always pose is if SL clubs find a cheaper alternative too this solution what is going to happen? They'll sack off the Championship clubs within a second. So going into a feeder arrangement you are putting the fate of your club in the hands of the SL club. The SL club will get the vote in most matters which involves them, clubs will get far too dependable on SL clubs which cannot be a good thing because as proven a lot of SL clubs arnt sustainable as within a decade a title winning club can be on its hands and knees begging for money. So I think its better to have our own say in our club matters personally rather than an SL club saying if you don't do this we'll withdraw our 8 or so players or whatever.

Then there's the its not your team anymore its barely even your club you're just becoming a feeder club. If I'm honest if we became a feeder club I wouldn't watch Barrow. I don't want too see 6 or 7 youngsters and fringe players taking the place of local lads. I think its irrelevant if it wins games, you come to support the club not the team. The club represents the ameteur background behind it, all the volunteers who help out and the local community, I don't think 6 or 7 Saints fringe players represents that personally.

Also there won't be a guarantee of these players playing every week. Its very disruptive for a squad too have random players coming in and out. See Widnes' league position in the CC when they used 38 players in a season, some of which were high quality.

Obviously we'll have to see our it pans out. I think its wrong but that's just my view. Many fans don't like it but its happening.

#10 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Didnt Dave Clark suffer last year with the same problem from Wigan ?

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#11 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

BUT

Discuss

Lee

Its also two teams that get relegated from the champ, i thought it was only one. http://www.loverugby...-play-offs.html

#12 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

i see also it is a top eight play off format at the end of the season same as SL has.50k prize at end . might go towards floodlights fund eh?, in our dreams ye. but back on the feeder thing from SL clubs . if we get a few injuries within the pack we may have to go cap in hand to a SL club so lets not burn any bridges yet. banging on about no way we go down that road might come back to bite us on the ar,e.

#13 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

If you have to go to a club because Your players are injured and there is no back up from your squad that's a totally different thing as its your choice and injuries have put you on that position

#14 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

i agree but as i said, lets not be so rightious or vocal in our beliefs just in case what might happen.

#15 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

http://www.rugbyleag...inos-players-to

This is what we will be up against,are we running scared? I don't think so,but it will be good to watch some quality youngsters in our league this season IMO.

#16 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

There was an interesing interview with Tommy Haughey (then at Hunslet) a couple of years ago about the negative effect on players' morale caused bythe use of DR players. One of his main criticisms was the fact that for many Championship players not playing meant no pay.

#17 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

http://www.rugbyleaguechampionships.co.uk/championship/article/28229/hunslet-reveal-rhinos-players-to

This is what we will be up against,are we running scared? I don't think so,but it will be good to watch some quality youngsters in our league this season IMO.

Looks like we won't just be seeing the youngsters playing against us but Internationl players too,Tyrone McCarthy and Paul Wood at Swinton at the weekend,now Hunslet have Kylie leuluai and Richard Moore in their squad for this week!

#18 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

cant think off any other sport that this extreme of lending players goes on.i know you have loan deals and that sort of thing but this season is just going to be full of talking points. can we say ok we lost but played well when you look at what was put against you on the day? i dont think so. think there is going to be a lot of frustrated fans this season. what are leigh fans going to say when they play swinton on a home v home game and half of warringtons squad turn out for a game.a few years ago i tried to get a mate to go down and watch the rugby and his answer was whats the point. you cant get promotion to super duper league even if you win your league by 20 points. after this season i think a few more people will ask the same question.

#19 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

If I'm honest if we became a feeder club I wouldn't watch Barrow. I don't want too see 6 or 7 youngsters and fringe players taking the place of local lads. I think its irrelevant if it wins games, you come to support the club not the team.

Lets hope that most fans take that view if we go down this season. Gates are up when a team is winning, and will invariably drop when the team isnt. Im gonna stick my neck on the line here and say i wish we had a SL link up. We all knew how it was shaping up and should have gone with Saints before Haven did. Im not a huge fan of the system as we all know it invariably benefits the SL side more than its CC link up lub. But if its the case of we link and survive, id rather face that than the league of death next season, which will be no easy ride either from next season. I think we're screwed.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#20 ANDO

ANDO
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

'Looks like we won't just be seeing the youngsters playing against us but Internationl players too,Tyrone McCarthy and Paul Wood at Swinton at the weekend,now Hunslet have Kylie leuluai and Richard Moore in their squad for this week!'

Good to see the idea of keeping youngsters in the game isn't being abused. Not!!
It's becoming an absolute joke and will kill the game below Super League.
I know its only week 2 but someting should be done about it.
I wonder what the Hunslet Props feel about it, who had a good game against us at the weekend?

Edited by ANDO, 06 February 2013 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users